Forums: Archive: 2008-2009 USPA BOD Elections:
How hard would it be for a group to take over USPA?

EDYDO  (D 1521)

Dec 4, 2008, 5:12 AM
Post #1 of 24 (4354 views)
Shortcut
How hard would it be for a group to take over USPA? Can't Post

How hard would it be for a group to take control of USPA? Let's look at some numbers. There are about 31,000 USPA members. Roughly, 5000 of those vote. That leaves a voting pool of 26,000 to pull from.

Let's say 30 people around the world agree to either run or support the change. Each one agrees to find an average of 3 votes per skydiving day out of those 26,000 non-voting members. There are roughly 20 week-end days when the ballot is available.

So, 3 votesX30 peopleX20 days=1800 votes. I believe 1200 votes was enough to win a seat as a National Director in the last election.

I am not saying I support or do not not support the present group. I am saying that mathematically, it looks pretty easy.

Ed Dixon

chuckakers  (D 10855)

Dec 4, 2008, 5:50 PM
Post #2 of 24 (4212 views)
Shortcut
Re: [EDYDO] How hard would it be for a group to take over USPA? [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
How hard would it be for a group to take control of USPA? Let's look at some numbers. There are about 31,000 USPA members. Roughly, 5000 of those vote. That leaves a voting pool of 26,000 to pull from.

Let's say 30 people around the world agree to either run or support the change. Each one agrees to find an average of 3 votes per skydiving day out of those 26,000 non-voting members. There are roughly 20 week-end days when the ballot is available.

So, 3 votesX30 peopleX20 days=1800 votes. I believe 1200 votes was enough to win a seat as a National Director in the last election.

I am not saying I support or do not not support the present group. I am saying that mathematically, it looks pretty easy.

Ed Dixon

The grass roots thing always sounds good and the math is pretty on paper. Pulling it off is another story. Maybe the Red Bull guys would like to give it a try!Crazy

mjosparky  (D 5476)

Dec 4, 2008, 10:04 PM
Post #3 of 24 (4169 views)
Shortcut
Re: [chuckakers] How hard would it be for a group to take over USPA? [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
Maybe the Red Bull guys would like to give it a try!

I think that is exactly what they are trying now.

Sparky

Jumpdude  (C License)

Dec 9, 2008, 8:34 PM
Post #4 of 24 (4022 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mjosparky] How hard would it be for a group to take over USPA? [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
Maybe the Red Bull guys would like to give it a try!

I think that is exactly what they are trying now.

Sparky
Count me in, IF it will get sLyride out! I'm anti-sLyride, not anti USPA.

popsjumper  (D 999999999)

Dec 12, 2008, 3:46 AM
Post #5 of 24 (3911 views)
Shortcut
Re: [EDYDO] How hard would it be for a group to take over USPA? [In reply to] Can't Post

Pretty easy. DZOs did it, right?

Scrumpot  (D License)

Dec 19, 2008, 11:06 AM
Post #6 of 24 (3800 views)
Shortcut

What's this, Ed? Shades of Don "Treetop" Jardine revisited or something?/ Wink Laugh

EDYDO  (D 1521)

Dec 19, 2008, 11:14 AM
Post #7 of 24 (3796 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Scrumpot] How hard would it be for a group to take over USPA? [In reply to] Can't Post

Ha !! That's been some time. I sorta miss him.

Ed

cliffwhite

Dec 22, 2008, 3:49 PM
Post #8 of 24 (3695 views)
Shortcut

Here's how it works; You need about 3000 proxy votes to take control of USPA. You can purchase 3000 memberships through strawmen for about $150,000. USPA is worth about 3 million.
Not a bad profit .

Blues, Cliff

livendive  (D 21415)

Dec 22, 2008, 4:29 PM
Post #9 of 24 (3678 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:
Ha !! That's been some time. I sorta miss him.

Ed

No sorta about it here, Don's good people.

Blues,
Dave

ozzy13  (D 29344)

Dec 24, 2008, 12:31 PM
Post #10 of 24 (3574 views)
Shortcut

I guess we will find out in a week or so Wink

skyjumpenfool  (Student)

Jan 9, 2009, 10:00 AM
Post #11 of 24 (3347 views)
Shortcut

As I see it, every time we have an election, a small group takes over the USPA. That is, I believe, called a democracy? The trick is to get a "representative" group elected. So, vote early and vote often(sorry about the obvious Bushism).

skydived19006  (D 19006)

Jan 9, 2009, 1:39 PM
Post #12 of 24 (3295 views)
Shortcut
Re: [skyjumpenfool] How hard would it be for a group to take over USPA? [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
As I see it, every time we have an election, a small group takes over the USPA. That is, I believe, called a democracy?

It's not a democracy, our form of government is a representative republic. One analogy I enjoy of a true democracy is; two wolves, and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

True/direct democracy means that the electorate votes on everything directly.

jtval  (D 26340)

Jan 11, 2009, 6:16 PM
Post #13 of 24 (3185 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:
How hard would it be for a group to take control of USPA? Let's look at some numbers. There are about 31,000 USPA members. Roughly, 5000 of those vote.
Ed Dixon

Well I guess the good news is that more than 2ce that number voted.

ON the USPA results board a quick vote of the numbers show approx 10,000.

But if someone wanted to take control all they would have to do is stuff the ballots or hide thoe votes.

Hey, It works for the gov't,right?

Premier NWFlyer  (D License)

Jan 11, 2009, 6:25 PM
Post #14 of 24 (3180 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jtval] How hard would it be for a group to take over USPA? [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
How hard would it be for a group to take control of USPA? Let's look at some numbers. There are about 31,000 USPA members. Roughly, 5000 of those vote.
Ed Dixon

Well I guess the good news is that more than 2ce that number voted.

ON the USPA results board a quick vote of the numbers show approx 10,000.

But if someone wanted to take control all they would have to do is stuff the ballots or hide thoe votes.

Hey, It works for the gov't,right?

The election results say that 3,503 people voted, or somewhere around or just above 10% (I'm not sure exactly what the current membership is - it was at 31,264 at the end of 2007 and I believe the number is slightly higher now.

Totaling up the numbers will not get you the total number of voters, but the total number of votes cast. Remember, people can vote for UP TO 8 national director candidates and one regional director candidate.

Quote:
The election of the 2009-2010 USPA Board of Directors is complete with the following results. USPA received 3,503 ballots by the deadline.

http://www.uspa.org/...mfid/19/Default.aspx

johndh1  (A License)

Jan 11, 2009, 6:28 PM
Post #15 of 24 (3176 views)
Shortcut
Re: [NWFlyer] How hard would it be for a group to take over USPA? [In reply to] Can't Post

How hard would it be for a group to take over USPA? They did last year - they were called the Executive Committee...

skydived19006  (D 19006)

Jan 11, 2009, 7:49 PM
Post #16 of 24 (3150 views)
Shortcut
Re: [johndh1] How hard would it be for a group to take over USPA? [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
How hard would it be for a group to take over USPA? They did last year - they were called the Executive Committee...

Exactly! It's the same bunch, let's see if Glen and the gang can come up with a new trick. I doubt that the bait and quit game will play again.

Problem is though as I understand it, nobody other than Glen want's the position.

I'm going this year, I think I'll bring along a big sack of popcorn.

Martin

johndh1  (A License)

Jan 11, 2009, 8:45 PM
Post #17 of 24 (3131 views)
Shortcut
Re: [skydived19006] How hard would it be for a group to take over USPA? [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:

Problem is though as I understand it, nobody other than Glen want's the position.

Geez, I hope you are wrong.

(This post was edited by johndh1 on Jan 11, 2009, 8:46 PM)

skydived19006  (D 19006)

Jan 12, 2009, 5:58 AM
Post #18 of 24 (3090 views)
Shortcut
Re: [johndh1] How hard would it be for a group to take over USPA? [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

Geez, I hope you are wrong.

Total hear-say, but that's what I was told by one member, past and present, of the BOD. It's a pain in the ass, and somewhat time consuming position. Thankless, and unpaid, why would anyone want it? Maybe Mr. Bangs is just truly altruistic?

johndh1  (A License)

Jan 12, 2009, 8:44 AM
Post #19 of 24 (3055 views)
Shortcut
Re: [skydived19006] How hard would it be for a group to take over USPA? [In reply to] Can't Post

The same could be said as easily about the position of ND as well, I think that every person running should be prepared to assume the position if needed...no pun intended.Blush

stratostar  (Student)

Jan 12, 2009, 9:05 AM
Post #20 of 24 (3038 views)
Shortcut

How about term limits, it's about time we have that IMO.

JohnRich  (D License)

Jan 12, 2009, 3:01 PM
Post #21 of 24 (2969 views)
Shortcut
Re: [stratostar] How hard would it be for a group to take over USPA? [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
How about term limits, it's about time we have that IMO.

Why do you assume that just because someone has been in a job for a long time, that they no longer deserve to have that job?

If someone is performing poorly, they can be voted out.

If someone is performing well, we should be able to keep them.

(This post was edited by JohnRich on Jan 12, 2009, 3:02 PM)

mjosparky  (D 5476)

Jan 16, 2009, 1:29 PM
Post #22 of 24 (2863 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:
It's not a democracy, our form of government is a representative republic.

I always amazes me how many people who live in our ôRepublicö do not know this. The first line of the Pledge of Allegiance goes something like this.
Quote:
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the "Republic" for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, With Liberty and Justice for all.

Sparky

skydived19006  (D 19006)

Jan 20, 2009, 8:47 AM
Post #23 of 24 (2774 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mjosparky] How hard would it be for a group to take over USPA? [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

I always amazes me how many people who live in our ôRepublicö do not know this. The first line of the Pledge of Allegiance goes something like this.
Quote:
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the "Republic" for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, With Liberty and Justice for all.

Sparky
(off topic)
You know that little kids are forced to recite the pledge of allegiance every day. Especially for those who can not read/write yet, I doubt that most even understand where the words break, let alone the meaning. I've thought for a long time, that at some point in elementary school, it should be required to actually "teach" the pledge. Break it down, teach the word definitions, and educate on the meaning. "Words mean things!"

Martin

airtwardo  (D License)

Jan 20, 2009, 10:48 AM
Post #24 of 24 (2746 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:

Quote:

Sparky
(off topic)
You know that little kids are forced to recite the pledge of allegiance every day. Especially for those who can not read/write yet, I doubt that most even understand where the words break, let alone the meaning. I've thought for a long time, that at some point in elementary school, it should be required to actually "teach" the pledge. Break it down, teach the word definitions, and educate on the meaning. "Words mean things!"

Martin

We have a clean audio version of this that we use during our demo act on jump run, prior to the flag jump...it's fantastic when scores of people actually thanks us for 'reminding' them what our pledge means, and our Flag stands for.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ioIkqKVztYg

Forums : Archive : 2008-2009 USPA BOD Elections

Search for (options)