Forums: Community: Skydivers with Disabilities:
Skydive With A Pace Maker?

GreenLight  (D 18859)

Nov 24, 2008, 7:41 PM
Post #1 of 5 (1522 views)
Shortcut
Skydive With A Pace Maker? Can't Post

Does anyone know if you can jump with a pace maker? Is anyone here jumping with one now? I just found out that this may be in my immediate future and of course the first thing I was worried about was whether it would stop me from skydiving or not. The first heart attack sure didn't.

compulsiveflyer  (D 28043)

Dec 2, 2008, 10:55 AM
Post #2 of 5 (1473 views)
Shortcut
Re: [GreenLight] Skydive With A Pace Maker? [In reply to] Can't Post

YES. I have had a pacemaker since the age of 9. I started jumping at 18 and have over 2,700+ jumps. If you have "rate response" turned on your hear rate will increase during the first few seconds of the jump as you accelerate. But shouldn't that happen?... your jumping out of an airplane.

GreenLight  (D 18859)

Dec 2, 2008, 11:06 AM
Post #3 of 5 (1470 views)
Shortcut
Re: [compulsiveflyer] Skydive With A Pace Maker? [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for the reply... Still waiting for results from testing and so forth. Will be seeing my doctor today as a matter of fact...

Thanks again!

compulsiveflyer  (D 28043)

Dec 2, 2008, 11:50 AM
Post #4 of 5 (1464 views)
Shortcut
Re: [GreenLight] Skydive With A Pace Maker? [In reply to] Can't Post

Your previous post mentions you have had a heart attack. Are they thinking about giving you a pacemaker due to irregular heart rhythms (atrial fib or flutter)? If so, they may give you a ICD or Implantable Cardioverter Defibrillator. Those are a little bit bigger in size than a regular pacemaker.

If they decide that you require a pacemaker or ICD pay attention to where they will place the device. This is usually the left or right side of your chest. I now have my pacemaker placed just off center of my chest. This avoids the straps rubbing against it when I jump. Not a huge issue, but something to think about.

Best of luck,
BNB

GreenLight  (D 18859)

Dec 2, 2008, 12:05 PM
Post #5 of 5 (1460 views)
Shortcut
Re: [compulsiveflyer] Skydive With A Pace Maker? [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes I saw another post talking about that. If they decide I need one I will keep that in mind...

Don't know what they want to do with me yet.

Thanks again.

Forums : Community : Skydivers with Disabilities

Search for (options)