Forums: Archive: 2008-2009 USPA BOD Elections:
DZO/RD

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

skydived19006  (D 19006)

Nov 4, 2008, 5:32 AM
Post #1 of 40 (4182 views)
Shortcut
DZO/RD Can't Post

How the heck does the combination of DZO and Regional Director work? I'm a DZO, and as such I'm tied to my drop zone, there's no way I could find time to circulate other DZs in the region, well, maybe one or two in the course of a year.

This also seems to be a huge conflict of interest, or damn sure has the potential to be. Many think it's an issue for the DZO to be the S&TA, how about DZO/S&TA/RD?

How many of the RD candidates are DZO/DZMs? I know that there is one running in the Central Region.

Martin

(This post was edited by skydived19006 on Nov 4, 2008, 5:34 AM)

diablopilot  (D License)

Nov 4, 2008, 7:35 AM
Post #2 of 40 (4099 views)
Shortcut
Re: [skydived19006] DZO/RD [In reply to] Can't Post

What if no one else shows enough interest?

JerryBaumchen  (D 1543)

Nov 4, 2008, 8:52 AM
Post #3 of 40 (4081 views)
Shortcut

Hi Martin,

Well that is the very problem we have here in the NW Region.

She never goes anywhere that I know of. Crazy And she also does not care to talk to her constituents.

But then no one else seems to want the job. Pirate

JerryBaumchen

wmw999  (D 6296)

Nov 4, 2008, 9:01 AM
Post #4 of 40 (4078 views)
Shortcut

Our RD is a DZO for a smaller DZ. I see him a couple-3 of times a year at our DZ for swoop competitions and boogies. He makes a point of talking to folks when he's here. I'd bet that he goes to other DZs as well.

For us it's working pretty well; I think he's doing a good job.

Wendy W.

skydived19006  (D 19006)

Nov 4, 2008, 12:50 PM
Post #5 of 40 (4032 views)
Shortcut
Re: [diablopilot] DZO/RD [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:

I was specifically thinking of the Central Region. Mat "Rook" Nelson is opposing Gary Peek. Don't really know much at all about Rook, Gary always welcomes calls, returns emails etc. Gary does not tend to visit the DZs in the region on any kind of regular basis, but then how many RDs do?

BillyVance  (D 18895)

Nov 4, 2008, 12:59 PM
Post #6 of 40 (4022 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:
In reply to:

I was specifically thinking of the Central Region. Mat "Rook" Nelson is opposing Gary Peek. Don't really know much at all about Rook, Gary always welcomes calls, returns emails etc. Gary does not tend to visit the DZs in the region on any kind of regular basis, but then how many RDs do?

I don't know Matt Nelson, but I believe (correct me if I'm wrong) he is a co-DZO with his sister. They just have their own responsibilities that dove-tail each other.

AggieDave  (D License)

Nov 4, 2008, 4:50 PM
Post #7 of 40 (3984 views)
Shortcut
Re: [wmw999] DZO/RD [In reply to] Can't Post

Quote:
I'd bet that he goes to other DZs as well.

He does as much as he can. Obviously at his DZ he wears literally every hat that has to be worn. I know that he calls DZOs and S&TAs at other DZs in the region. He also talks to other jumpers at other DZs in the region.

The biggest problem is that he's the first person that ran for RD in a while that we've had in the Gulf Region that gave a damn. He continues to care and is concerned about the sport as a whole. Obviously he doesn't walk on water (he can chow with the best of them), but he's doing a best job we've had in a while.

SStewart  (D 10405)

Nov 4, 2008, 11:10 PM
Post #8 of 40 (3944 views)
Shortcut

Hey Martin,

I have been a USPA member for 25 years and I have always said that no DZO should EVER be on the board. No way no how!

This is a membership organization and DZO's have a clear and blatant conflict of interest. Especially at the regional level, I have seen too many DZO's who are only on the board to represent themselves and don't give a rip about their competition.

Why should you represent someone who is your competition? Maybe you don't get along with them or might have a fued with? Drop zones fueding?

Gasp! It happens.

Skydivers are their own worst enemies.

So recently I was asked why I support 2 DZO's for re-election to the board given my stance....

#1 Larry Hill is a stand up guy and a national director who is not only looking out for his own interests but the sport in general. It would be a travesty to not have him on the board.

#2 Todd Spillers runs a small DZ and has traveled to many DZ's in his region (not many RD's can say that)
His work on the safety and training committee is exeptional. I can smell bullshit a mile away and this dude passed the test.

It should be left up to the membership to decide if they want DZO's on the board. All you have to do is vote!

skyh2omedic

Nov 5, 2008, 2:55 AM
Post #9 of 40 (3932 views)
Shortcut

Martin,
I do not know how many DZ's Gary makes it to. He is engaged and always has time for conversation. I have seen him at KSUPC's DZ twice in the 15 months. I do not know the other candidate. Gary has my support. Hopefully next election if there are other candidates i'll have an opportunity to visit with them and listen to the ideas they have. I would hope any person running for the board utilizes all means to get their message out, including DZ visits.
Nothing like shaking someones hand, looking them in the eyes, watching them interact with others over a weekend. Like i said i support Gary.

skydived19006  (D 19006)

Nov 5, 2008, 6:49 AM
Post #10 of 40 (3899 views)
Shortcut
Re: [skyh2omedic] DZO/RD [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
Martin,
I do not know how many DZ's Gary makes it to.

I support Gary Peek as well, for many reasons. How much a RD has visited the DZs in his region is not very high on my list of importance. I've been jumping since 1990, I think that Gary visited the Lyons DZ once in the 1990s (ran for 13 years), he's never been to my DZ (in business since 2001). Again, visiting DZs is a time and money consuming task, the Central Region covers 5 states, and about 25 DZs.

I do think that DZO and RD are a conflict of interest, less so for ND. I do not have an issue with DZOs on the BOD, but only as a small minority. They have a perspective, and knowledge that should be considered, but not dominate, IMO.

Martin

Skydave103  (D 22664)

Nov 5, 2008, 10:42 AM
Post #11 of 40 (3850 views)
Shortcut
Re: [BillyVance] DZO/RD [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
I don't know Matt Nelson, but I believe (correct me if I'm wrong) he is a co-DZO with his sister. They just have their own responsibilities that dove-tail each other.

He is the sole owner for the last few years. He bought her out and has a really good staff that runs the DZ if he isn't there or has obligations other than making sure a load goes when it is supposed to.

I believe the word is "delegation" and trust. If you own a DZ and can't get away because you have to run it every second that it is open then you are a control freak or you have not set up a reliable staff that you can trust.

If I were in that region I would definitely vote for Rook!
He has been in the sport his entire life and knows how a DZ/business runs.

Dave

BillyVance  (D 18895)

Nov 5, 2008, 11:59 AM
Post #12 of 40 (3828 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Skydave103] DZO/RD [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

He is the sole owner for the last few years. He bought her out and has a really good staff that runs the DZ if he isn't there or has obligations other than making sure a load goes when it is supposed to.

I believe the word is "delegation" and trust. If you own a DZ and can't get away because you have to run it every second that it is open then you are a control freak or you have not set up a reliable staff that you can trust.

If I were in that region I would definitely vote for Rook!
He has been in the sport his entire life and knows how a DZ/business runs.

Dave

Thanks, apparently I had old info and things had changed since.

airtime1  (D 9286)

Nov 9, 2008, 7:10 AM
Post #13 of 40 (3702 views)
Shortcut
Re: [JerryBaumchen] DZO/RD [In reply to] Can't Post

Jerry

I made a run for NW RD a few years back. I even made the effort to get on the ballot. My resistable charm and devilish good looks didn't assist me in acquireing votes from the Washington/Oregon area, (dispite having Hatley's endorsement).

I quickly sensed HOW F---ed up our organization was/is when I submitted the required number of signatures to get on the ballot (plus an additional percentage for error) and was told I didn't have enough signatures.

Upon a slight protest on my part, I was informed that the election committee would go ahead and put my name on the ballot since I had initially been told the wrong number of names I needed.

Whether real or imagined - my trust in the integrity of USPA's process has been suspect since.

(further rant withheld)

Rob Herndon - Caldwell, Idaho

JerryBaumchen  (D 1543)

Nov 9, 2008, 2:37 PM
Post #14 of 40 (3673 views)
Shortcut
Re: [airtime1] DZO/RD [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Ron,

That is the very reason why I oppose the X number of signatures to run for RD.

You can run for ND with no signatures; so why not RD?

I like to have as many candidates as want to be on the ballot.

But that is just me . . . .

JerryBaumchen

skydived19006  (D 19006)

Nov 10, 2008, 7:38 AM
Post #15 of 40 (3622 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:
Hi Ron,

That is the very reason why I oppose the X number of signatures to run for RD.

You can run for ND with no signatures; so why not RD?

I like to have as many candidates as want to be on the ballot.

But that is just me . . . .

JerryBaumchen

You do know that in order to change this requirement a quorum vote from the general membership is required? Also, remember the push for proxy a few years ago, so some of these issues could be addressed? My impression was the membership was suspicious, and apprehensive of giving their proxy.

JerryBaumchen  (D 1543)

Nov 10, 2008, 12:55 PM
Post #16 of 40 (3585 views)
Shortcut

Hi Martin,

For a number of years I belonged to EAA. Tom P. gets LOTS of proxy votes for himself. This allows him to run the organization like a fiefdom.

I am completely opposed to proxy votes.

And I do know the downside in not being able to get a quorum.

Just my thoughts . . . .

JerryBaumchen

SDChicago  (D 19871)

Nov 28, 2008, 12:37 PM
Post #17 of 40 (3414 views)
Shortcut

I dedicated my entire life to skydiving, it would be in my best interest to keep it around for as long as i can. I don't understand why you wouldn't want someone like that as your regional director? I organize events, promote safety, brought new jumpers into the sport? Am I missing something?

Rook Nelson

MakeItHappen

Nov 28, 2008, 3:27 PM
Post #18 of 40 (3393 views)
Shortcut
Re: [SDChicago] DZO/RD [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
I dedicated my entire life to skydiving, it would be in my best interest to keep it around for as long as i can. ... Am I missing something?

Rook Nelson

Well, yeah, you are missing something. Your first statement answers the question too.

(This post was edited by MakeItHappen on Nov 28, 2008, 3:28 PM)

SDChicago  (D 19871)

Nov 28, 2008, 10:28 PM
Post #19 of 40 (3351 views)
Shortcut
Re: [MakeItHappen] DZO/RD [In reply to] Can't Post

I would love to hear something that I have done for my DZ and not thought that it would help the sport as a whole. I really didn't want to post on here but i was encourage to. Nationals rotation? AFP? Better Demo regs, More canopy educations? I see where that I'm the only one that would benefit. I'm not trying to stir up the pot. I have been fortunate to have people in USPA and now its time that I give back to the sport that has given me so much. Including a house without wheels!!

Rook

Stanley9

Nov 29, 2008, 1:08 AM
Post #20 of 40 (3342 views)
Shortcut

I feel that you may be missing the point of someone dedicating their entire life to skydiving. It involves helping our association when needed, aiding would be jumpers, supporting current members and the sport as a whole. I could question your dubious involvement in each of the previous as well as personal and business motives but care not too. We need a more youthful and business savy BOD to save us from the ruin that has been started by the current broken version, of which your a part of.

MakeItHappen

Nov 29, 2008, 7:03 AM
Post #21 of 40 (3314 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:
I would love to hear something that I have done for my DZ and not thought that it would help the sport as a whole.

I would love to hear about something you did that benefited jumpers that did not carry a suitcase of benefits for your DZ or any other of your skydiving related businesses (if any).

I think this is a difference between people that do something that benefits others without a personal gain, except for the satisfaction of helping others.

(This post was edited by MakeItHappen on Nov 29, 2008, 12:03 PM)

MakeItHappen

Nov 29, 2008, 7:08 AM
Post #22 of 40 (3313 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Stanley9] DZO/RD [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
I feel that you may be missing the point of someone dedicating their entire life to skydiving. It involves helping our association when needed, aiding would be jumpers, supporting current members and the sport as a whole. I could question your dubious involvement in each of the previous as well as personal and business motives but care not too. We need a more youthful and business savy BOD to save us from the ruin that has been started by the current broken version, of which your a part of.

I would love to hear your questions about my involvement in skydiving, especially the 'aiding would be jumpers' part.

AggieDave  (D License)

Nov 29, 2008, 9:30 AM
Post #23 of 40 (3284 views)
Shortcut

How about not allowing a DZ from taking the nationals bid and disallowing a nationals event?

I think its BS that a DZ can host the entire event but decide NOT to host something like Canopy Piloting. Either have all or nothing, or go back to the old style where different DZs held specific different events (not everything except a single event)!

As I understand it, your DZ has stated that it would not hold Canopy Piloting ever again but has put in bids for hosting the rest of nationals. That's great leadership by example there!Unsure

MakeItHappen

Nov 29, 2008, 12:15 PM
Post #24 of 40 (3258 views)
Shortcut
Re: [AggieDave] DZO/RD [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
How about not allowing a DZ from taking the nationals bid and disallowing a nationals event?

I think its BS that a DZ can host the entire event but decide NOT to host something like Canopy Piloting. Either have all or nothing, or go back to the old style where different DZs held specific different events (not everything except a single event)!

As I understand it, your DZ has stated that it would not hold Canopy Piloting ever again but has put in bids for hosting the rest of nationals. That's great leadership by example there!Unsure

Dave, you might want to read the SCM again, specifically Section 10.

AggieDave  (D License)

Nov 29, 2008, 12:52 PM
Post #25 of 40 (3250 views)
Shortcut

I appreciate that you're focusing on the way it is instead of the way it should be. I'm sure that no one would care if a DZ decided that it couldn't hold FF or maybe 16-way instead of just the swoopers.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Archive : 2008-2009 USPA BOD Elections

Search for (options)