Forums: Archive: 2008-2009 USPA BOD Elections:
Vote Bill Hanrahan - Write-In for Eastern Reg Dir

BillH  (D 10970)

Nov 3, 2008, 2:05 PM
Post #1 of 8 (1712 views)
Shortcut
Vote Bill Hanrahan - Write-In for Eastern Reg Dir Can't Post

Hello everyone,

I'm Bill Hanrahan and I'm running for Eastern Conference Director as a write-in candidate. (I appologize for the shameless self-promotion, though.)

For all those in the Eastern region I'd sure like to have your vote. I'm running as a write-in because I was very pleased with the job that Scott Stweart had done for our Conference and didn't wish to run against him. I only got word of Scott's move from the region after the 1 June deadline to submit an intent to run letter to USPA. So a write-in it is...

For those that don't know me here's a brief bio:
- USPA Member 24+ years/D-10970
- First civilian jump 1980/military jump in 1971
- Now with over 2,200 jumps
- USPA Chez Judy 2008 Safety Award Recipient
- AFF/SL/IAD/Tandem Instructor
- S&TA since 1991 (first appointed by Ed Cummings)
- Coach Course Director
- AIC Graduate
- Master Rigger & DeWolf Rigger Course Instructor
- Retired reserve Army Special Forces Major & former military paratrooper & HALO jumpmaster
- Home DZ is Chambersburg, PA
- Live in Ellicott City, MD (near Baltimore)
- Work in Greenbelt, MD for Honeywell on a contract to NASA (no, I'm not a rocket scientist. I do computers.)

My interests for running are:
- Work to see that big and small DZs alike get equal attention in USPA policies
- Support USPA efforts for skydiver airport access rights
- Work to ensure USPA never has another lawsuit debacle like SkyRide
- Press for more openness on the USPA Board of Directors
- Support efforts to retain new jumpers in our sport and increase the number of instructors
- Most importantly Im a person who loves jumping, the bond we all share and Id like to make the sport better.

I also have a very strong interest in seeing that our sport stays safe.

In the region I'm endorsed by my friends Dave DeWolf, Scott Stewart, JR and Kathie Sides (Chambersburg) and Mike Davidson (DelMarVa).

I'm also endorsing Scott Stewart becasue of the great job he did for the Eastern Region and my military friend Jay Stokes. I believe both are worthy of your vote.

I hope you'll consider me as a write-in and I thank you for your vote. Please send in your ballot today.

Blue Skies,
Bill

(This post was edited by BillH on Nov 3, 2008, 3:37 PM)

SStewart  (D 10405)

Nov 4, 2008, 12:26 PM
Post #2 of 8 (1595 views)
Shortcut
Re: [BillH] Vote Bill Hanrahan - Write-In for Eastern Reg Dir [In reply to] Can't Post

I think Bill would be an outstanding choice for Eastern Regional Director and I strongly encourage all the jumpers in the region to vote for Bill as a write in candidate. You do have a choice!

The interests he has stated above are similar to mine and I would be happy to have him fill my slot when I leave it at the end of my term.

I have had the opportunity to work with Bill at Dave DeWolfs riggers course and I know several people who have been through his coach course. He is well spoken and well respected through out the region.

The board needs more people like Bill to represent the membership.

Jumpdude  (C License)

Nov 10, 2008, 8:16 PM
Post #3 of 8 (1519 views)
Shortcut
Re: [BillH] Vote Bill Hanrahan - Write-In for Eastern Reg Dir [In reply to] Can't Post

What is your position on Skyride?
Do you currently or have you in the past, have any affiliation with Skyride?

And do you currently or in the past support a DZ that accepts Skyride's business?

Have you either currently or in the past accepted any financial compensation from Skyride or their associates for any reason or services rendered?

I'm not trying to be devious, just want to make sure that I vote for good, credible people.

Thanks, JD,,,

Premier PhreeZone  (D License)
Nov 10, 2008, 9:06 PM
Post #4 of 8 (1513 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Jumpdude] Vote Bill Hanrahan - Write-In for Eastern Reg Dir [In reply to] Can't Post

Jeff, you are not from this region and could not vote for this candidate no matter what. You are a one topic voter, that is allowed but there is already a thread on this topic. Please keep the comments on Skyride in this one: http://www.dropzone.com/...;;page=unread#unread

Jumpdude  (C License)

Nov 11, 2008, 9:16 AM
Post #5 of 8 (1474 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PhreeZone] Vote Bill Hanrahan - Write-In for Eastern Reg Dir [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
Jeff, you are not from this region and could not vote for this candidate no matter what. You are a one topic voter, that is allowed but there is already a thread on this topic. Please keep the comments on Skyride in this one: http://www.dropzone.com/...;;page=unread#unread

Whoops! Sorry about that, I do see what you are saying about being in the wrong thread as well as the regional thing as well. My Agologies....

BillH  (D 10970)

Nov 11, 2008, 2:33 PM
Post #6 of 8 (1447 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Jumpdude] Vote Bill Hanrahan - Write-In for Eastern Reg Dir [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:

And do you currently or in the past support a DZ that accepts Skyride's business?

Have you either currently or in the past accepted any financial compensation from Skyride or their associates for any reason or services rendered?
In reply to:

Happy to answer that one:
(1) I don't have any affiliation with Skyride.
(2) I don't believe I've supported any DZs that accepts SkyRide's business.
(3) I've not received any financial compensation from Skyride, yada, yada, yada...

Hope that answers everything.

In addition, I would not support or work for/at any business that engages in deceptive business practices. Period.

I believe that SkyRide's misleading advertisement falls into that category. You shouldn't say you're SkyDive <Name of big town inserted here> if you're not reasonably close to that location. Most all DZs put directions to their location. It appears that SkyRide left them off to avoid customers knowing. Then customer had a hard or impossible time getting a refund.

That's just wrong. It doesn't pass the old "How would I feel if someone did that to me" test.

The fact that USPA was sued and then had to settle shows that USPA's business, ethical and legal preparations were insufficient. We should have been sure that whatever we (USPA) were doing wasn't going to get us sued. Perhaps there's more to this story than what has come out but before we get ourselves into a mess like that again USPA leadership owes it to the membership to ensure our actions will stand up, especially in court.

If elected I hope to find out more about what occured, not so much to blame anyone for this but to ensure it doesn't happen again any time soon.

Blue skies,
Bill

p.s. If you haven't voted yet, please get your ballot and do so. You can get a ballot here at USPA: http://www.uspa.org/...Other_2009Ballot.pdf

If you're in the Eastern Conference please write "Bill Hanrahan" in the write-in box for Conference Director.

(This post was edited by BillH on Nov 11, 2008, 2:37 PM)

Jumpdude  (C License)

Nov 11, 2008, 6:58 PM
Post #7 of 8 (1419 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:
In reply to:

In reply to:

Happy to answer that one:
(1) I don't have any affiliation with Skyride.
(2) I don't believe I've supported any DZs that accepts SkyRide's business.
(3) I've not received any financial compensation from Skyride, yada, yada, yada...

Hope that answers everything.

In addition, I would not support or work for/at any business that engages in deceptive business practices. Period.

I believe that SkyRide's misleading advertisement falls into that category. You shouldn't say you're SkyDive <Name of big town inserted here> if you're not reasonably close to that location. Most all DZs put directions to their location. It appears that SkyRide left them off to avoid customers knowing. Then customer had a hard or impossible time getting a refund.

That's just wrong. It doesn't pass the old "How would I feel if someone did that to me" test.

The fact that USPA was sued and then had to settle shows that USPA's business, ethical and legal preparations were insufficient. We should have been sure that whatever we (USPA) were doing wasn't going to get us sued. Perhaps there's more to this story than what has come out but before we get ourselves into a mess like that again USPA leadership owes it to the membership to ensure our actions will stand up, especially in court.

If elected I hope to find out more about what occured, not so much to blame anyone for this but to ensure it doesn't happen again any time soon.

Blue skies,
Bill

p.s. If you haven't voted yet, please get your ballot and do so. You can get a ballot here at USPA: http://www.uspa.org/...Other_2009Ballot.pdf

If you're in the Eastern Conference please write "Bill Hanrahan" in the write-in box for Conference Director.

First, To Phreezone, I want to comment on Bills response, and I am not trying to linger in this thread any longer past this comment, so please don't think I'm trying to do that. Thanks,,,
Second, To Bill, My hat's off to you brother! I wish all the candidates had the same moral ethics as you. I know that Phreezone said I'm not in your region, but believe me, If I were, I would be not only voting for you, I would be campaigning for you as well. Keep up the good work and I hope you win! If you should ever move to the Southern region, look me up, you have an open invite to our DZ!
I want to end by saying again and I can't stress it enough that we need more people like you in the sport!
Thanks again and keep up the good work!

For sale:
1 set of encyclopedia Britannica, No longer needed, Wife knows everything! Wink

chuckbrown  (D 19538)

Dec 16, 2008, 6:33 AM
Post #8 of 8 (1258 views)
Shortcut
Re: [SStewart] Vote Bill Hanrahan - Write-In for Eastern Reg Dir [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
The board needs more people like Bill to represent the membership.

Couldn't agree more!

Forums : Archive : 2008-2009 USPA BOD Elections

Search for (options)