Forums: Archive: 2008-2009 USPA BOD Elections:
Southeast RD Candidates - WTF?

Gary73  (D 21341)

Oct 31, 2008, 9:05 AM
Post #1 of 25 (3497 views)
Shortcut
Southeast RD Candidates - WTF? Can't Post

No offense meant to any of you (really!), but are these really serious candidacies? None of you have announced platforms at all, and I don't think that any of you have even responded to any of the question posts in this forum. It's all fine and well for your friends and lovers to think you're a good guy, but USPA is facing some serious issues, and I think that we deserve a Regional Director who is aware of these issues and who has specific proposals to address them. So let's hear from you either way - either step up or bow out.

Gary73  (D 21341)

Nov 7, 2008, 5:35 PM
Post #2 of 25 (3307 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Gary73] Southeast RD Candidates - WTF? [In reply to] Can't Post

Wow. I really expected at least one posted reply by this point. I did get a PM advising that two of the candidates are good guys, and I respect the sender's opinions, but I still don't know anything about any of the candidates' positions on any of the issues facing USPA. How am I supposed to decide who to vote for if none of you will tell us what your goals are? And if you don't have any particular goals, then why do you want the job?

popsjumper  (D 999999999)

Nov 7, 2008, 7:11 PM
Post #3 of 25 (3291 views)
Shortcut

I know one "candidate" who will bring you a photocopy ballot already filled in with his name as a write-in.
Will that do?

chutingstar  (D 19956)

Nov 7, 2008, 8:00 PM
Post #4 of 25 (3277 views)
Shortcut

Gary...Run, Baby, Run!

I think you should put your name in the hat, let us know what you would like to see happen at USPA and go for it!

Mike

EDYDO  (D 1521)

Nov 8, 2008, 4:53 AM
Post #5 of 25 (3258 views)
Shortcut
Re: [popsjumper] Southeast RD Candidates - WTF? [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
I know one "candidate" who will bring you a photocopy ballot already filled in with his name as a write-in.
Will that do?

I suspect you are joking. Ballots are required to be filled out entirely by the member and no marks may be placed by anyone else. If you receive such a ballot, please give it to a member of the board with details.

Blue Skies,

Ed Dixon
Mid-Atlantic RD

bodypilot90  (D 24249)

Nov 8, 2008, 4:56 PM
Post #6 of 25 (3201 views)
Shortcut

makes you wonder

Premier SkymonkeyONE  (D 12501)

Nov 9, 2008, 2:24 PM
Post #7 of 25 (3159 views)
Shortcut

Write in Tom Noonan. That is all.

DualHawk  (D 24313)

Nov 9, 2008, 3:59 PM
Post #8 of 25 (3146 views)
Shortcut

Hi Gary,

My decision to run for SE Regional Director was made after I returned to the US after an extended road trip and saw here on DZ.COM that there wasn't anyone on the ballot for our region. That's when I decided to run as a Write In.

I have worked with the USPA Safety and Training Committee the last two years on tandem related issues, and if I am elected as a write in, I hope to be put on that committee so that I can extend my involvement in USPA safety issues to include Student and Sport jumping.

I also want to see initiatives implemented that will improve participation in our sport. I wrote an article two years ago for Parachutist entitled "Spectator vs Participator" regarding tandem jumping and offered some ideas on how to increase enrollment into student training. Since then, I have gone a step further and began researching A license completion rates at different dropzones, and think I can help offer some new ideas that may allow us to grow as a sport.

As I mentioned in my Write In request thread, I would really like to know what the members want to see happen on the board. If I am elected, I plan to visit as many regional dropzones as possible and meet the members and bring the members needs and ideas to the board meeting in February and beyond.

I've been told from time to time by people that I meet on dropzones that my enthusiasm for our sport is pretty evident. I don't deny it, I just love skydiving. I love everything about it and I just want to help the sport grow and increase our collective safety. I am always looking to learn new things in the sport and love the evolution process. Seven years ago I thought skysurfing was the most amazing thing I would ever learn in the sport and then just two weeks ago, I jumped my first wingsuit. (Thanks Chuck!) I can't wait to see what's next down the line and am excited to be a part of a sport and community that is so unique and extraordinary.

Please feel free to email me at noonantommy@yahoo.com, or reply here if you have any questions. If you email me, I'll reply with my phone # and you can call me too if you would like to talk.

Best regards,

Tom Noonan

diablopilot  (D License)

Nov 9, 2008, 8:22 PM
Post #9 of 25 (3119 views)
Shortcut
Re: [DualHawk] Southeast RD Candidates - WTF? [In reply to] Can't Post

Good luck Tom! Smile

DualHawk  (D 24313)

Nov 10, 2008, 5:22 AM
Post #10 of 25 (3087 views)
Shortcut
Re: [diablopilot] Southeast RD Candidates - WTF? [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks JP!

My wife and I were just going through our ballots last night while out at Macaroni Grille. (You can add two more votes to your National Director campaign!)

Best of luck to you too!

Tom

Jumpdude  (C License)

Nov 10, 2008, 8:25 PM
Post #11 of 25 (3029 views)
Shortcut

I'm just getting into the game here in this thread and on the issue of the BOD candidates, The only questions I have is which ones are sLyride supporters? I know that there are quite a few and it is imperative to the sport that we keep them out of the BOD.

(This post was edited by Jumpdude on Nov 10, 2008, 8:26 PM)

Gary73  (D 21341)

Nov 11, 2008, 7:22 PM
Post #12 of 25 (2968 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Jumpdude] Southeast RD Candidates - WTF? [In reply to] Can't Post

Andy,

Not exactly what I had in mind, but it answers the question of whether I would want to vote for him/her. Care to divulge the individual's name?

Mike,

Been trying to decide whether you're serious, considering that I haven't announced either a candidacy or any positions, unless, of course, you count my position on announcing positions.

Ed,

Unfortunately, Andy's probably not joking. Not everyone operates at your level, integrity wise.

Chuck, JP,

As per my original post.

Tom,

No offense, really, but aren't we all in favor of improving safety and participation? The question is how.
As for your perception (as stated in the thread on 400' openings) that a representative's role is to support his constituents' wishes regardless of his personal beliefs, I've always liked Edmund Burke's statement that "Your representative owes you, not his industry only, but his judgement; and he betrays, instead of serving you, if he sacrifices it to your opinion.".

Jeff,

Yeah, if I could only know one thing about a candidate, that would be it, since that would tell me so much about them. But I don't even know that because none of our RD candidates has given their position on the matter!

(This post was edited by Gary73 on Nov 11, 2008, 9:30 PM)

popsjumper  (D 999999999)

Nov 12, 2008, 4:46 AM
Post #13 of 25 (2936 views)
Shortcut
Re: [chutingstar] Southeast RD Candidates - WTF? [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
Gary...Run, Baby, Run!

I think you should put your name in the hat, let us know what you would like to see happen at USPA and go for it!

Mike

Agreed! Now there's a candidate I could vote for in full confidence.

Gary73  (D 21341)

Nov 12, 2008, 12:21 PM
Post #14 of 25 (2897 views)
Shortcut
Re: [popsjumper] Southeast RD Candidates - WTF? [In reply to] Can't Post

Andy, Mike,

Thanks for your support, but my obligations at Skydive Atlanta are such that I wouldn't be able to visit other DZs as much as I feel that an RD should. Maybe next time.

DualHawk  (D 24313)

Nov 13, 2008, 10:57 AM
Post #15 of 25 (2823 views)
Shortcut

Hi Gary,

No offense taken...lol

Let me see if I can answer some of your questions.

Improving safety: I belive that there needs to be a better understanding of how our gear works within the general membership. I would lobby for a centralized collection of gear maintence information and gear inspection information on USPA's website. We've all seen the fun jumper on the DZ with Type 17 mini risers that are sun bleached and frayed. What is the recommended service life of those risers? How many jumps on those faded risers? Probably more than the life span limit. I think alot of it is simply that there isn't enough information centrally available for the membership on things like that. The more we know, about the gear we jump, the safer we are. The other concern I have is ratings. It's been talked about on here (dz.com) and in the field. The bar needs to be raised on issuing ratings. I would work to help raise that bar. I believe in the top-down approach. I've been to 3 AICs, and am headed to my 2nd USPA IERC course next week. I have been helping teach the courses and love what they represent, more evolved teaching techniques. They "Train the trainer" and they will produce more consistent results. That's what our instructor rating process needs, a raised bar and a consistent evaluation process. I think through courses like the IERC we will get there.

Increasing participation:

There are a number of techniques that successful dropzones use that bring in large numbers of students. I would like to see those techniques disseminated to every dropzone. I have been lucky enough to travel with my job to a number of different dropzones around the world and have had a chance to see well run dropzones that use specific approaches based on their product/market to bring more and more students to thier dropzones. If I am elected to the board, I would work to get that sort of information out into every dropzones hands. More students means more memberships in USPA. Beyond that, techniques used to keep students involved after they enroll, is a second step and another area I would like to share ideas with USPA based on my experiences.

400 ft openings opinion from other thread:

I have to admit, I am little confused on this one. My stance was that I am against 400ft openings, but that if the overwhelming majority of the regions members want me to vote for it, that I would follow thier conscience and vote thier way.

The reason I am confused about this topic is simply that from what I have read about the elections this year, that there are alot of board members that people want to see voted off the board specifically because they are voting for thier own agendas and not voting for what the people want. That they have lost touch with the membership. Maybe I am wrong, but I thought that the RDs were put there to represent the wants and needs of the region, not their own personal agendas.

With that said, I think the people that know me in the sport would say that I am responsible and that Ihave always acted in the best interest of the people that I work with and/or represent.

I understand Martin's comments about the Representative Republic, but I think in this day and age with communication as quick as it is with email, cell phones and dz.com, that getting input from the people that elected you and weighing that input in the decision making process is not a bad thing.

I think the last issue (from another thread) was skyride:

I have seen the websites and have read quite a bit of the information on here about it. I don't own a dropzone, but If I were to open a dropzone, I would not want it to be associated with Skyride.

Those are my thoughts/stances on things. If I can answer anything else, please let me know. I will be offline quite a bit in the next couple weeks, so if I don't reply right away, it's only cause I'm travelling.

Best regards,

Tom Noonan

(This post was edited by DualHawk on Nov 13, 2008, 11:00 AM)

Gary73  (D 21341)

Nov 16, 2008, 8:34 PM
Post #16 of 25 (2691 views)
Shortcut

Tom,

Thanks for the reply. Unless something remarkable happens, you've got my vote.

normiss  (D 28356)

Nov 17, 2008, 4:01 PM
Post #17 of 25 (2626 views)
Shortcut

THOSE are the reasons I voted for you Tom!
Wink
I like what you do and what you stand for.

Best of luck!
Smile

Premier skymama  (D 26699)
Nov 18, 2008, 8:04 AM
Post #18 of 25 (2563 views)
Shortcut

Thank-you for posting your thoughts. I opened this forum today specifically to find out who might be running for RD so I can complete my ballot. You got my vote. Smile

DualHawk  (D 24313)

Nov 18, 2008, 11:14 AM
Post #19 of 25 (2538 views)
Shortcut
Re: [skymama] Southeast RD Candidates - WTF? [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you Gary, Andrea and Mark (Normiss).

Your votes are very much appreciated.

Best regards,

Tom

bodypilot90  (D 24249)

Dec 3, 2008, 6:37 PM
Post #20 of 25 (2443 views)
Shortcut

what do you think needs to be done about canopy deaths?

DualHawk  (D 24313)

Dec 4, 2008, 7:03 AM
Post #21 of 25 (2410 views)
Shortcut
Re: [bodypilot90] Southeast RD Candidates - WTF? [In reply to] Can't Post

That is a really tough question, and while I don't think there is a single solution out there, I can offer my thoughts.

Personally, I like the idea of separate landing areas for HP landings and traditional landing patterns. But I also understand that every dropzone has a different dynamic, land available, mixture of experience levels and number of people in the air, so I don't think a blanket BSR on separate landing areas will work in the real world, but I am willing to listen and consider it.

What it comes down to in my mind is three things: 1) Education, 2) Psychology and 3) Accountability.

Education: We need to build better canopy pilots. Whether it's through increasing the amount of canopy training during AFF or providing a standardized canopy coaching syllabus for continuing education, or even creating a Canopy Instructor rating, we need to infuse more knowledge focused on "defensive driving" from the start. It might not be the best parallel, but when I was learning to ride motorcycles, I took a safety course that focused on two things, anticipating a problem before it became one to avoid it and how to deal with a problem if you still find yourself in one. I think we should lean more towards teaching defensive canopy control to everyone.

Psychology:
For some, there exists a "That can't happen to me mentality" in our sport, some people call it the "bullet proof syndrome". For this person, no amount of education will change the fact that this person does not perceive themselves operating under the same rules as the masses, and this person, whether a swooper, a student, an instructor or a fun jumper, is going to disregard any advice/education that does not mesh with their self perceived ideals of their ability and their place in the skydiving universe. This person will pull a 270 in a crowd despite being warned not to, because the rules don't apply to them. They are the student who ignores a pull signal because to them "everything was fine", or the instructor that cuts corners because they feel they are good enough to handle the situation. I think that we need to implement more sports psychology into skydiving as a whole, and specifically to canopy piloting.

Accountability:
We as a sport need to step up as a whole and defend ourselves and our friends. The famous example is when say an organizer tells a group "if you hook turn, your benched", and then they go up and do a hook turn themselves on landing. Imagine if the other people on the dive, sat themselves down when that happened instead of just grumbling quietly and keeping on jumping? As a whole, we all need to be more accountable, stand up more. If I am elected to as the Southeast RD, I will stand up and be accountable. I will contact the best in the business when it comes to canopy piloting and canopy coaching like Jim Slaton and Brian Germain, and ask them to help me help us all.

I was fortunate to have been able to take the Evolution canopy coaching course with Jim back in 2002 with 400 jumps (hence the above mention), and I can say that without doubt, 6 years later, that was one of the best educational experiences that I have had in skydiving. I still use 90% of what I learned everyday I am on a dropzone, whether doing a tandem, a big way, a fun jump, or a swoop. I have yet to take Brian's course due to time constraints, but plan to take it as well.

Whether I get elected or not, I think that it's in all of our best interests for USPA to put all these guys (Jim, Brian, et al) in a room together and ask them to help us create a framework for the future. I would challenge whoever ends up on the BOD as a ND or a RD to make that meeting happen.

Those are my initial thoughts. I am heading down to Ecuador for the next week, but will have access to email/internet every other day or so, so I will try my best to respond to any questions.

Best regards,

Tom

MakeItHappen

Dec 4, 2008, 8:35 AM
Post #22 of 25 (2387 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:
Whether I get elected or not, I think that it's in all of our best interests for USPA to put all these guys (Jim, Brian, et al) in a room together and ask them to help us create a framework for the future. I would challenge whoever ends up on the BOD as a ND or a RD to make that meeting happen.

Actually this has happened already, but......

Several years ago the Director of S&T attended canopy courses by all the big names.
He then created a syllabus that combined all the courses and the best of the best.
When this was presented to the big names, they came back with a unified voice about it.
They said it was a great course outline, well compiled and complete.
However, they did not want USPA to publish the CC exercises in the SIM because of the potential of any two jumpers going up and trying these maneuvers without realizing that at least one of them needed to be good at dodging mistakes by the other.
One could have perceived their stance as protection of their niche in the world, but that was not the case.
They carefully explained why the CC exercises (the ones done by two people from altitude) should not be published unless there was a requirement that the 'teacher role' be someone with some sort of CC certificate.
Only a small part of the course was published in the SIM (Sec 6.10 and 6.11)

The question of whether or not USPA should create a CC rating is not clear cut either.
There are lots of pros and cons about this.
Go to any DZ and start asking jumpers their opinions on it and you'll learn the different views.
Some views are expressed in the threads relating to 'is the Coach, AFF or TI rating too easy to get?'
These arguments have been around for a long time. There have been debates among jumpers about a CRW rating, a birdsuit rating, an LO rating, a freefly rating etc for many years.

FMI

(This post was edited by MakeItHappen on Dec 4, 2008, 2:14 PM)

bodypilot90  (D 24249)

Dec 4, 2008, 11:12 AM
Post #23 of 25 (2358 views)
Shortcut

Tom and Jan would you agree with this statement.

Separate landing areas or jump runs will correct most of problem.

Jan you have my vote and Looks like i will be voting for you too Tom

MakeItHappen

Dec 4, 2008, 11:51 AM
Post #24 of 25 (2346 views)
Shortcut
Re: [bodypilot90] Southeast RD Candidates - WTF? [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
Tom and Jan would you agree with this statement.

Separate landing areas or jump runs will correct most of problem.

Jan you have my vote and Looks like i will be voting for you too Tom

I would say that separate landing areas, in time or space, may reduce some of the CC issues, but will not prevent all of the issues.
Whether it is 'most' (greater than 50% or not), I do not know for sure.

Issues of integrating into a congested pattern are nowadays taught better on big way loads by those 'uncertified LO types', as opposed to a single CC course where you are most likely doing a stacked exit with your pass.

The most comprehensive discussion that I have written about these issues is at 'Avoiding Canopy Collisions'. Then there are many articles on SPSJ that address more specific topics related to CC issues. This is not a one shot cure-all fix.

Thank you for your vote.
Tom is a good choice too.

SStewart  (D 10405)

Dec 4, 2008, 12:27 PM
Post #25 of 25 (2331 views)
Shortcut

I met Tom at the BOD meeting in Orlando and he was very helpful with a situation I had with a TI in my region. It would be great to have such a knowledgeable and well spoken person on the board.

I think Tom would be an outstanding choice for RD and would be a true asset to the Safety and Training committee.

Forums : Archive : 2008-2009 USPA BOD Elections

Search for (options)