Forums: Skydiving: Gear and Rigging:
Wondering if anyone has any Unairworthy Canopies???

Skuzzlebutt  (Student)

Oct 20, 2008, 7:46 PM
Post #1 of 11 (1256 views)
Shortcut
Wondering if anyone has any Unairworthy Canopies??? Can't Post

I finally got to do my first Clear and Pull. A couple more and i'll be starting to learn to pack my own gear. I was wondering if anyone on these boards has an unairworthy canopy that they can part with? I would like to be able to practice my folding away from the drop zone since i'm about an hour and 10 min away from it. It would be great if they still had the lines attached. Thanks in advance. Direct email is kquella@gmail.com

Andrewwhyte  (C 1988)

Oct 20, 2008, 9:13 PM
Post #2 of 11 (1221 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Skuzzlebutt] Wondering if anyone has any Unairworthy Canopies??? [In reply to] Can't Post

Sorry, we sell ours to the newbies.
Nyuk, Nyuk, Nyuk.

erdnarob  (D 364)

Oct 21, 2008, 8:35 AM
Post #3 of 11 (1119 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Skuzzlebutt] Wondering if anyone has any Unairworthy Canopies??? [In reply to] Can't Post

I understand you wanting to practice packing when alone but for that I am afraid you have to buy your own parachute or get one lent to you. There should be a person at your DZ who can show you how to pack a student parachute on a rainy day. This is an investment for the DZ to teach people how to pack since you are their future customer.

Skuzzlebutt  (Student)

Oct 21, 2008, 1:39 PM
Post #4 of 11 (1058 views)
Shortcut
Re: [erdnarob] Wondering if anyone has any Unairworthy Canopies??? [In reply to] Can't Post

They are going to teach me. Very soon in fact. I just want to get proficient at the folding and stowing of lines at home. If that makes sense. I'm the new guy.

dragon2  (D 101989)

Oct 21, 2008, 2:46 PM
Post #5 of 11 (1032 views)
Shortcut

You need a complete rig instead of just the main canopy. Spend a day or 2 at the DZ and pack pack pack, you'll get it. Then when you buy your own gear you get to take it home so you can practice packing if you want, if you buy a new and/or a big-for-the-rig canopy you may very well want to Tongue

millertime24  (C 38793)

Oct 21, 2008, 2:49 PM
Post #6 of 11 (1029 views)
Shortcut

I should let you try packing mine. Only has 1 jump on it. By the time you get good at packing that thing you can pack anything.Laugh

wolfriverjoe  (A 50013)

Oct 21, 2008, 2:49 PM
Post #7 of 11 (1029 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:
They are going to teach me. Very soon in fact. I just want to get proficient at the folding and stowing of lines at home. If that makes sense. I'm the new guy.

Makes sense to me. You must not be fresh out of school - you WANT homework!LaughLaugh

Have you tried your homeDZ? Mine had a couple old Mantas sitting around when I first started - ragged out, one with a blown cell, that sort of thing.
You might also ask your local rigger.

shropshire  (C License)

Oct 22, 2008, 3:59 AM
Post #8 of 11 (956 views)
Shortcut

The problem with letting someone have an Unairworthy canopy, is that it could suddenly become Airworthy!! and the original owner wouldn't like that much, if anyone got them selves hurt on their old gear.

I have cut the lines off my old canopy (gave it to a kids play group).

Skuzzlebutt  (Student)

Oct 22, 2008, 4:10 AM
Post #9 of 11 (951 views)
Shortcut
Re: [shropshire] Wondering if anyone has any Unairworthy Canopies??? [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm 100% all about safety. If someone tells me its no good then I will listen to that. There is a guy who just emailed me and is willing to send one off. Thanks by the way im not sure what his user name is on here. Its a PD170 and I currently fly a PD300. Even if it was "airworthy" i couldnt use it anyways. He said he will pull the label off too so it would be no good in that fashion as well.

shropshire  (C License)

Oct 22, 2008, 4:36 AM
Post #10 of 11 (944 views)
Shortcut

That's good.... but not everyone is so ethical.

lilchief  (D 78149)

Oct 22, 2008, 1:45 PM
Post #11 of 11 (877 views)
Shortcut
Re: [millertime24] Wondering if anyone has any Unairworthy Canopies??? [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
I should let you try packing mine. Only has 1 jump on it. By the time you get good at packing that thing you can pack anything.Laugh

I started off packing a new PIlot 210 in a 190- Icon at Eloy in mid May. THAT was hard! =D

BUt hey..I never have issues packing ANY canopy now, and that's quite cool! Smile

That's why I recommend it to newbies, but it's not something you HAVE to do. Good luck with the packing!

Forums : Skydiving : Gear and Rigging

Search for (options)