Forums: Dropzone.com: Suggestions and Feedback:
Post/new thread auto mark read

danielcroft  (D 31103)

Oct 17, 2008, 8:26 AM
Post #1 of 17 (2587 views)
Shortcut
Post/new thread auto mark read Quote | Reply

My suggestion is to *NOT* have threads automatically marked as read after a certain amount of time after I've been into a forum. My preferred method is for threads to be marked as read only when I've entered that thread.

The problem I have is that when I am busy and I don't get to a forum for a while, there can be several hundred posts, many of which I'd like to read. I can't necessarily sit down for that amount of time and read them all in one shot. If I don't read them all at once, after a certain amount of time, every post is marked as read and then I lose track of where I was up to and miss stuff.

In other boards, what normally happens is that, if I go into a forum, basically nothing happens. I have to visit a thread for that thread to be marked as read. Is there any chance we could get this setting changed?

I honestly hope I'm missing a setting somewhere that I can change because that'd be a lot easier. Smile

FlyingJ  (A License)

Oct 17, 2008, 8:51 PM
Post #2 of 17 (2539 views)
Shortcut
Re: [danielcroft] Post/new thread auto mark read [In reply to] Quote | Reply

I know what you mean.

For example:

Open Bonfire. Read some threads but leave some others unopened and still marked as unread. Close browser. Later open new browser. When I go into Bonfire again the only posts/threads shown as new are those that have been posted since I closed the browser earlier. The ones that I previously left unread are now marked as read.

Not the end of the world, but would be nice if I'm just missing something in my set-up to stop that from happening.

That's definitely buggy. Sorry I haven't gotten to this, but I haven't actually seen it. Thanks for the bump!

I went ahead and submitted it.

I'll also think about the mark-as-read button a bit.

(This post was edited by j_ung on Feb 23, 2009, 9:14 AM)

danielcroft  (D 31103)

Oct 19, 2008, 10:30 PM
Post #3 of 17 (2525 views)
Shortcut
Re: [FlyingJ] Post/new thread auto mark read [In reply to] Quote | Reply

Exactly what I'm talking about, thanks for the example. Smile

I'm not about to fall on my sword but it is really annoying and kind of silly too.

Premier skydiverek  (C 41769)

Oct 21, 2008, 2:55 AM
Post #4 of 17 (2512 views)
Shortcut

I wouldn't like that. About 50% of threads don't interest me (I judge them by the title), so I don't want these "boring" threads to remind me about their existance .

The way it works now is great for me.

Baksteen  (C 708753)

Oct 21, 2008, 3:09 AM
Post #5 of 17 (2508 views)
Shortcut
Re: [skydiverek] Post/new thread auto mark read [In reply to] Quote | Reply

A sort of checkbox in your user account then?

danielcroft  (D 31103)

Oct 23, 2008, 1:04 PM
Post #6 of 17 (2489 views)
Shortcut
Re: [skydiverek] Post/new thread auto mark read [In reply to] Quote | Reply

Most of the forums I've seen have a "mark all as read" button somewhere. For people who want everything cleared out, you can click a single button. For people who want to know where they're up to, we actually lose information the way it works right now and are irritated. Wink

danielcroft  (D 31103)

Feb 19, 2009, 7:37 PM
Post #7 of 17 (2237 views)
Shortcut

Case in point (perhaps). Currently every post in this thread except mine are marked as new. WTF? Mine was the last post!

I haven't been around much recently (busy at work) and there are around 13000 new threads in general. There may be something useful in there for me but I can't be bothered figuring it out because everything will be marked read before I get the chance to get through it, even if I skim the first few pages.

I don't come here now because of this. I'd love to have the option for the forum not to arbitrarily mark stuff read that isn't and (apparently) mark things unread that are.

Any of the board mods/admins like to comment to the effect that this isn't possible or isn't available so that I can STFU and stop complaining?

Premier PhreeZone  (D License)
Feb 19, 2009, 10:09 PM
Post #8 of 17 (2232 views)
Shortcut

There is a glitch that if you have not been in a forum for a very long time period it marks all the posts as unread again. It was reported a long time ago but this is a great time to bump it back up since the new site owners are trying to prioritize bug issues.

Quote:
Any of the board mods/admins like to comment to the effect that this isn't possible or isn't available so that I can STFU and stop complaining?
The functionality does not currently exist in the software to do what you want. That's not to say it couldn't be developed at some point but right now it is not an option.

danielcroft  (D 31103)

Feb 23, 2009, 1:43 PM
Post #9 of 17 (2211 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PhreeZone] Post/new thread auto mark read [In reply to] Quote | Reply

Ok, I guess that means I'll STFU. Wink

All we need is slightly newer forum software, you know, like something developed since the industrial revolution? Tongue

j_ung

Feb 24, 2009, 6:02 AM
Post #10 of 17 (2197 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:
Ok, I guess that means I'll STFU. Wink

All we need is slightly newer forum software, you know, like something developed since the industrial revolution? Tongue

Hey! This post WW2 tech, pal. 'Mercan ingenuity at its finest.

Anyway, it looks as though this time I might be the bearer of bad news. You're right, tracking is for the session only and it's built in to the forum program itself. I'm checking on what it would take to change that, but initial word is that, given the obscene amount of traffic in our forums, it might just be not possible right now. Hang tight.

danielcroft  (D 31103)

Feb 24, 2009, 8:55 PM
Post #11 of 17 (2181 views)
Shortcut
Re: [j_ung] Post/new thread auto mark read [In reply to] Quote | Reply

Thanks very much for looking into this, I appreciate the effort and look forward to hearing the results.

j_ung

Feb 25, 2009, 6:34 AM
Post #12 of 17 (2170 views)
Shortcut

I've asked how mush, resource-wise, it would take to track for a month or even just a couple weeks, instead of indefinitely (which won't be possible, I'm afraid). Still holding.

Bolas  (D License)

Feb 26, 2009, 10:49 AM
Post #13 of 17 (2149 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PhreeZone] Post/new thread auto mark read [In reply to] Quote | Reply

In reply to:
There is a glitch that if you have not been in a forum for a very long time period it marks all the posts as unread again. It was reported a long time ago but this is a great time to bump it back up since the new site owners are trying to prioritize bug issues.

I knda like that glitch. Smile I've clicked/posted in Speakers Corner once or twice and like that it resets me like I was never there...

Had it happen to me in the Bonfire too. Smile

j_ung

Feb 27, 2009, 8:13 AM
Post #14 of 17 (2123 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Bolas] Post/new thread auto mark read [In reply to] Quote | Reply

Interesting. Maybe I need to think a little harder on this before doing anything.

danielcroft  (D 31103)

Feb 27, 2009, 6:12 PM
Post #15 of 17 (2115 views)
Shortcut

I didn't say I wanted that glitch fixed!

What I am saying is that I've stopped reading any forum other than incidents because I can't keep track of threads properly unless I read every day.

Love the forum but the software makes it unusable for me if I'm busy at work.

j_ung

Mar 2, 2009, 9:00 AM
Post #16 of 17 (2083 views)
Shortcut

I see. But that doesn't necessarily mean we shouldn't change something there. Still waiting to hear from Gossamer on a few things.

danielcroft  (D 31103)

Mar 2, 2009, 1:29 PM
Post #17 of 17 (2079 views)
Shortcut

Oh sure, if you have another issue that it makes sense to fix, go ahead.

Sorry, didn't mean it that way at all.

Forums : Dropzone.com : Suggestions and Feedback

Search for (options)