Forums: Archive: 2008-2009 USPA BOD Elections:
The U.S.P.A. *~Brought to you by RED BULL~ ?!?

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next page Last page  View All

airtwardo  (D License)

Oct 13, 2008, 11:36 AM
Post #1 of 215 (12786 views)
Shortcut
The U.S.P.A. *~Brought to you by RED BULL~ ?!? Can't Post

Will a corporate $ponsor take the reign$ of our organization in order to change the rule$ ?

Taken from the minutes of the board meeting~

7. Two-thousand-foot deployment limit for demo jumps—the Red Bull team has requested a waiver to deploy at 400 feet on demo jumps using specialized equipment.

Special Instructions from the FAA attached to each approved 7711 authorization require all jumpers to deploy at 2,000 feet or higher.

This was discussed at length. This motion passed Committee 4-3. Ed Scott presented input from the FAA on these types of jumps. The following motion was presented:

Motion 33: Failed, 4/17/0 (Mr. Spillers)

“Move to waive BSR, 2,000’ opening altitude, for Red Bull team members named below. This waiver applies to jumps where an air show line is in place and TSO rigs will be used.

Opening altitude shall not be lower than 800 feet. To include up to 5 practice jumps at a consenting DZ.
Jumpers include: Charles Bryan, Miles Daisher, and Mike Swanson. Waiver shall expire in 120
days.”

As a professional demonstration jumper, I was actually quite amazed that this motion ever even made it through committee to be brought UP for a vote. Shocked

Got me to thinking...wonder how many of the current board members ever cashed an Energy Drink check?

Are the four that voted YES affiliated with the sponsor named in the bill?

It seems like THIS GROUP was created by workers for the 'Bull' ~and what is it... 6-7 of the member they are endorsing are currently corporate sponsored.

I dunno...I'm no conspiracy theory nut, but there looks to be a duck quackin here pretending to be a dog! Sly

Just my opinion for whatever it's worth, but a lotta jumpers are raising red flags over the DZO / USPA board member question in regard to a conflict of interest...

~Is a deep pockets corporation tryin' to seed the board of directors with people on their payroll?

I'm not real good at connecting dots but it seems like there is a move in that direction, ask some questions of these candidates and lets become a bit more informed as to the actual agenda...lest we be a bunch of sheep being guarded by a snortin' BULL! Wink

(This post was edited by airtwardo on Oct 13, 2008, 4:00 PM)

Gawain  (D 29213)

Oct 13, 2008, 11:55 AM
Post #2 of 215 (12683 views)
Shortcut
Re: [airtwardo] USPA ~Brought to you by Red Bull?! [In reply to] Can't Post

400 feet...using specialized equipment...I'm more curious about the equipment.

I don't understand why they would want to do this, the "what if"s are crazy...yikes...

Andy_Copland  (A 105852)

Oct 13, 2008, 12:01 PM
Post #3 of 215 (12674 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Gawain] USPA ~Brought to you by Red Bull?! [In reply to] Can't Post

Edit: I read the whole thing, the only TSO'd BASE gear i know of is the stuff Sonic makes that you couldn't pay me to jump after i saw video of it blowing up.

(This post was edited by Andy_Copland on Oct 13, 2008, 12:03 PM)

JerryBaumchen  (D 1543)

Oct 13, 2008, 12:50 PM
Post #4 of 215 (12627 views)
Shortcut

Hi twardo,

Quote:
~Is a deep pockets corporation tryin' to seed the board of directors with people on their payroll?

Yup, that is the question.

Two months ago the owner of a major dz told me that the Red Bull guys were going to try to take over USPA.

That is why I will not vote for any of them.

Just me thoughts, . . . . .

JerryBaumchen

flyhi  (D License)

Oct 13, 2008, 1:31 PM
Post #5 of 215 (12606 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:
Pacific:
Chris Q

Central
Rook Nelson

South East
Kyle Stark

Eastern
Brian Germain

Are the above connected with Red Bull or are they just considered some of the cool kids?

airtwardo  (D License)

Oct 13, 2008, 2:34 PM
Post #6 of 215 (12572 views)
Shortcut
Re: [JerryBaumchen] USPA ~Brought to you by Red Bull?! [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
Hi twardo,

Quote:

Yup, that is the question.

Two months ago the owner of a major dz told me that the Red Bull guys were going to try to take over USPA.

Just me thoughts, . . . . .

JerryBaumchen

ShockedShockedShocked

So..there may BE a lot more to this then a 'coincidence' that the 'party' touting deregulation as a platform, seem to be working (for the most part) for the same company that was unsuccessful in an attempt to change the BSR's to benefit their promotional advertising ?

I'd have loved to been a fly on the wall at that corporate mission statement meeting. ShockedCrazy

So I guess the question is~

WHO exactly IS on the ballot that also 'works' for Red Bull?

(This post was edited by airtwardo on Oct 13, 2008, 2:48 PM)

airtwardo  (D License)

Oct 13, 2008, 2:40 PM
Post #7 of 215 (12569 views)
Shortcut
Re: [flyhi] USPA ~Brought to you by Red Bull?! [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
Pacific:
Chris Q

Central
Rook Nelson

South East
Kyle Stark

Eastern
Brian Germain

Are the above connected with Red Bull or are they just considered some of the cool kids?

Good question~

From a small bit of research so far, several ballot names :

Eli Thompson
Francisco Neri
Luke Aikins
Jon DeVore
Charles Bryan
Miles Dashier
Mike Swanson

~ are afflffiated with Red Bull, there may be others.

What's going here???

tommyjoe  (D 33432)

Oct 13, 2008, 5:08 PM
Post #8 of 215 (12500 views)
Shortcut
Re: [JerryBaumchen] USPA ~Brought to you by Red Bull?! [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:

JerryBaumchen

Come on Jerry, you don't think uspa members are stupid enough to vote for a bunch of freefly kiddies do you? Instead of who? The excellent directors uspa now has like Jan Meyer and John Desantis, who have no conflict of interest and who work hard for uspa members? They would be better off voting for a former national champion that is well intentioned but clueless (and doesn't know what a paragraph is!)

stratostar  (Student)

Oct 13, 2008, 6:32 PM
Post #9 of 215 (12469 views)
Shortcut

Quote:
What's going here???

Mushrooms, dude!

I also heard from DZO who is good friends with one of the named parties, "they have this group and are going to take over"

airtwardo  (D License)

Oct 13, 2008, 7:15 PM
Post #10 of 215 (12453 views)
Shortcut
Re: [stratostar] USPA ~Brought to you by Red Bull?! [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
Quote:
What's going here???

Mushrooms, dude!

I also heard from DZO who is good friends with one of the named parties, "they have this group and are going to take over"

But I don't wanna be a mushroom! Wink

I'm just wondering...is it the same Luke Seile that does the PR for "RED BULL"
(~luke.seile@us.redbull.com 310.383.4376 ...)

~~~that has the face-book propaganda page promoting the 'lets change USPA' / here's your mushroom menu?

http://www.facebook.com/...&gid=28534156601

I ask again...WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON HERE?! Monkey

Why is a corporation that makes money from using our sport in the promotion of it's products SO interested in taking over control of our governing organization?

Aren't the Golden Knights giving them enough of their demos through 'referrals' the way it is? CrazySly

(This post was edited by airtwardo on Oct 13, 2008, 7:28 PM)

airtwardo  (D License)

Oct 13, 2008, 7:51 PM
Post #11 of 215 (12435 views)
Shortcut

Kinda weird when ya google the names in relation to the propraganda article...Unimpressed

A Catalyst For Change: Group Sets Their Sights On The USPA Board of Directors
By Luke Seile

Mem No. 221735

Motivated by their passion for the sport and a common goal of making changes, a group of experienced skydivers have assembled to make a run at the USPA Board of Directors in the upcoming November election. “A group of us started to really notice the need to revisit and update a lot of the USPA rules and procedures,” said Charles Bryan , 17 year veteran of skydiving, former DZO and National Director Candidate.

With that in mind the core group began to reach out to other professionals and friends within the industry. What they found was a like-minded group of individuals, with varying backgrounds, wanting to help evolve the governing body of the sport. Through moderator Eli Thompson , co-creator of FlyBoyz and National Director Candidate , the group began to debate the important issues affecting the Skydiving Industry; three common goals began to immerge:

Rejuvenate the Board of Directors with a diverse group of qualified, motivated jumpers with varied experience in the industry.
Grow the sport. Work to bring in new participants, money and public attention to the sport.
Focus on education not regulation. Develop programs above and beyond the current “student status” to help advance the individual pilots skills while improving the safety and proficiency of the sport as a whole.

Eli Thompson explained, “What really drives our group is that we don’t want to see skydiving just scrape by and survive. We want to get in there and help the sport prosper.”
With concern for the health of the sport, the group has attracted individuals from across the United States. Each individual has their own focus but an overwhelming sense of urgency to work out different challenges facing the industry.

Current board member Jessie Farrington has a focus on individual jumpers stating, “If people want to stay in the air with as little interference as possible we need people [on the board] who are willing to make changes.”

Making changes to the regulations and procedures is what skydiving needs right now. Every year the sport evolves; from new equiptment and technology to more advanced flying: It is time that the rules that govern what we do evolve with it. The first step is actually voting for the people that you feel will do a good job advancing the sport.

“We need to go back to the roots of what the USPA Board of Directors was created for: It’s not about arguing, it’s about growth..” states Eric Deren who is running for a seat as National Director. Deren continues, “Over the past years, the USPA Board of Directors has had moments of greatness and moments of failure. We want to help create more moments of greatness.”

Candidates for change are:

National Board of Directors:
Eli Thompson
Charles Bryan
Mike Swanson
Jon DeVore
Luke Aikins
Kirk Verner
Eric Deren
Cisco Neri

Northwest:
Jessie Farrington

Pacific:
Chris Q

Western
Scott Smith

Central
Rook Nelson

South East
Kyle Stark

Mountain
Miles Daisher

Eastern
Brian Germain

JerryBaumchen  (D 1543)

Oct 13, 2008, 8:36 PM
Post #12 of 215 (12411 views)
Shortcut
Re: [tommyjoe] USPA ~Brought to you by Red Bull?! [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi tommy,

Quote:
Come on Jerry, you don't think uspa members are stupid enough to vote for a bunch of freefly kiddies do you?

I do not have a clue as to who ' uspa members ' will/won't vote for.

I will vote for whomever I want.

Quote:
Making changes to the regulations and procedures is what skydiving needs right now.

Any thoughts on just what changes they would like to make?

Let's have more info on issues; or is that too old school? Crazy

JerryBaumchen

futuredivot  (Student)

Oct 13, 2008, 9:15 PM
Post #13 of 215 (12396 views)
Shortcut

So, how much does Skyride stand to make by selling the board to Red Bull?

Ok, that was a joke-but I'm a little leery of bloc candidates

BillyVance  (D 18895)

Oct 13, 2008, 9:40 PM
Post #14 of 215 (12391 views)
Shortcut
Re: [futuredivot] USPA ~Brought to you by Red Bull?! [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
So, how much does Skyride stand to make by selling the board to Red Bull?

Ok, that was a joke-but I'm a little leery of bloc candidates

I am too... Although we do need new blood on the BOD, but corporate sponsored?

Premier DSE  (D 29060)

Oct 14, 2008, 4:57 PM
Post #15 of 215 (12238 views)
Shortcut

Eli Thompson
Charles Bryan
Mike Swanson
Jon DeVore
Luke Aikins
Kirk Verner
Eric Deren
Cisco Neri ]
Andy Farrington(Son of Jessie, cousin to Luke Aiken)
Miles Daisher

Everyone in that list save for a few, are RedBull team members. All but two have name-associations with Red Bull when Googled. Make of that what you will...but most are associated either directly or indirectly with Red Bull

(This post was edited by DSE on Oct 14, 2008, 7:52 PM)

futuredivot  (Student)

Oct 14, 2008, 6:46 PM
Post #16 of 215 (12211 views)
Shortcut
Re: [DSE] USPA ~Brought to you by Red Bull?! [In reply to] Can't Post

What advantages would be gained by board control?

Premier DSE  (D 29060)

Oct 14, 2008, 7:03 PM
Post #17 of 215 (12201 views)
Shortcut

Quote:
I don't know, and I'm not making a judgement or qualification one way or another. It is interesting however, that of those on the above list posted by someone else, most are either directly or indirectly connected to the same corporate entity.

The only comparison that might be made, is if people have their panties in a wad over a bunch of DZO's being on the board of USPA, is it more, or less appropriate to have a board that is heavily sponsored by a corporate entity??

futuredivot  (Student)

Oct 14, 2008, 7:45 PM
Post #18 of 215 (12185 views)
Shortcut

Well, this thread is now referenced in a comment on the facebook page. So, someone from the group give me a platform without rhetoric. What specific changes do you want to make? I'm not opposed to shaking up the board, but tell me why your stir stick is the best one.

Premier DSE  (D 29060)

Oct 14, 2008, 7:54 PM
Post #19 of 215 (12181 views)
Shortcut

I think you need to point your question to the OP. I took the time to research the claims made in the OP to see if there truly is or is not a relationship between the candidates and Red Bull. Appropriate or not, it's apparent there are relationships between the majority of the candidates listed in the OP.

futuredivot  (Student)

Oct 14, 2008, 8:00 PM
Post #20 of 215 (12176 views)
Shortcut

Sorry, random post placement-you were just at the bottom of the list. It was directed at any member of the facebook group to answer. I'm not setting up a facebook account just so I can make one comment on that page.
I have a hard time thinking that the Red Bull association is just a random occurrence. I want to know what specific change they want to make. What happened that made them want to "take over"?

airtwardo  (D License)

Oct 14, 2008, 10:19 PM
Post #21 of 215 (12144 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:
Sorry, random post placement-you were just at the bottom of the list. It was directed at any member of the facebook group to answer. I'm not setting up a facebook account just so I can make one comment on that page.
I have a hard time thinking that the Red Bull association is just a random occurrence. I want to know what specific change they want to make. What happened that made them want to "take over"?

I think that's something we ALL should be questioning!

Just on it's face it's troubling, and from the multitude of emails I received since starting the thread, I'm starting to believe there is something to this.

Talk about a conflict of interest!

We have a major corporation that utilizes skydiving in the marketing of its product...Ask yourself what would deregulation of the sport do to benefit THEM?

Well the most obvious example is the one that got me thinking about this in the first place...changing the rules pertaining to demonstration jumping ~FOR THE RED BULL TEAM!

That in and of itself may not seem like much but in a black helicopter mindset world...couldn't they then also make it more difficult for non-red bull teams to do demo? Sure they could.

How about the various competitions nationwide...couldn't the deregulation of certain areas governing those be changed around to benefit a corporation marketing strategy?

Sure, why not have 10-20 sets of 'nationals' one in every major market...kinda like the Red Bull Air Races, and heck why not use the airport defence fund to pay for it!

I could go on and on 'blue skying' on what the motivation might be regarding a Red Bull take over...but that's what it would be...conjecture.

At present the only 'FACTS' available are that it doesn't pass the smell test.

I believe this is a major concern for us the general membership to be aware of and consider.

Do we want a group with a possible hidden 'outside corporate' agenda, that's already calling for major changes as far as deregulation, but says little else as far as what, how and why...taking control of our organization for their own gain?

Oh HELL no!

I say it again...MAJOR CONFLICT OF INTEREST!

I submit that any and all candidates running for any position in OUR organization be required to not only disclose their sponsorship affiliations but suspend those relationships while running for office and end them entirely if elected.

I don't care if it's Red Bull, Go Fast, FastTrax, Performance Designs...or Taco Bell!

In plain English...

~If you are a corporate sponsored skydiver, you can NOT be eligible to serve on the Board of Directors for the United States Parachute Association...PERIOD!

The silence from these candidates is deafening.

airtwardo  (D License)

Oct 14, 2008, 11:20 PM
Post #22 of 215 (12135 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:
I think you need to point your question to the OP. I took the time to research the claims made in the OP to see if there truly is or is not a relationship between the candidates and Red Bull. Appropriate or not, it's apparent there are relationships between the majority of the candidates listed in the OP.

I don't believe it's appropriate at all.

Is there some Red Bull 'black ops' program going on with the express intent of defrauding the general membership in regard to taking control of the Board of Directors for some hidden agenda that would be of some benefit to the corporation??

I don't know...but again, on it's face it doesn't look right.

So whether or not these suspicions are factual, to remove any doubt or even the slightest hint of hidden agendas or the appearance of conflicts of interest...

I again submit that ALL corporate sponsored skydivers need to suspend these relationships immediately and end them altogether if elected.

These people are ON THE BALLOT now, in the interest of what's best for the organization as a whole, even the smallest hint of ANY possible impropriety needs to be put to rest without further delay.

TO ALL THE CANDIDATES:

If you want to serve the Associations membership, then do so without any extraneous baggage as to the intent...end the corporate sponsor relationships without further delay.

Make a choice~
Service to the membership or continue nursing on the Bulls teat.

~ ~ You cannot serve two masters...it doesn't work that way!

(This post was edited by airtwardo on Oct 15, 2008, 1:37 AM)

airtwardo  (D License)

Oct 15, 2008, 12:07 AM
Post #23 of 215 (12128 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:
Quote:
I don't know, and I'm not making a judgement or qualification one way or another. It is interesting however, that of those on the above list posted by someone else, most are either directly or indirectly connected to the same corporate entity.

The only comparison that might be made, is if people have their panties in a wad over a bunch of DZO's being on the board of USPA, is it more, or less appropriate to have a board that is heavily sponsored by a corporate entity??

I maintain it's infinitely MORE inappropriate to have a board that's heavily represented by an outside corporation.

The DZO/BOD conflict is in and of itself troubling enough, although not nearly on the scale as this proposed 'take over'.

Generally speaking, I'd have to say that the a DZO on the BOD would at the end of the day have what's best for the sport and the members of the organization somewhere as their overall concern...the greater the membership numbers the stronger the sport and ultimately it's their ~ AND ~ our gain to improve things in a thoughtful and progressively safe manner.

With an outside corporation involved, and the undeniable interest in their own bottom line as a priority...how can we possibly be getting what's best for US?

You CANNOT be on the U.S.P.A. ~ Board Of Directors, and also be taking a check from a company that would possibly benefit in any way, by the policy decisions that will continually come before you for vote!

IT'S A CONFLICT OF INTEREST and it's wrong.

As I highlighted in my original post it HAS already been tried, it's in the freakin' minutes, just not enough Red Bull employees on the board to pass it AT THIS TIME...a special waiver for the RED BULL TEAM to do demos at 400 feet?

How does THAT benefit the organizations general membership??

These 'take over' candidates need to answer the question~

You working for THEM or are you working for US?!

To All 'Corporate Sponsored Skydiver' Candidates:

Immediately disassociate yourselves from corporate sponsorships or drop out of the election...

~ it's what's fair, it's what's right.

It's what we as members of the United States Parachute Association . . D E S E R V E !

(This post was edited by airtwardo on Oct 15, 2008, 1:26 AM)

klingeme  (D 24728)

Oct 15, 2008, 4:39 AM
Post #24 of 215 (11707 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:
Well, this thread is now referenced in a comment on the facebook page. So, someone from the group give me a platform without rhetoric. What specific changes do you want to make? I'm not opposed to shaking up the board, but tell me why your stir stick is the best one.

I posted it (on Facebook) to see if we could get some feedback

klingeme  (D 24728)

Oct 15, 2008, 4:44 AM
Post #25 of 215 (11702 views)
Shortcut

Quote:
~If you are a corporate sponsored skydiver, you can NOT be eligible to serve on the Board of Directors for the United States Parachute Association...PERIOD!

Keep in mind that most DZs and Riggers are Corperations. I believe that small DZ DZOs would make decisions that would help their DZs, and large DZOs would make decisions that help the large DZs. If we had a manufacturer representative on the board, they would make decisions based on thier equipment.

Should every board member cease all sponsorship they have (even with skydiving equipment manufacturers) when elected to the board?

I understand the conflict of intrest here, but I think it already exists (Group membership, DZOs on the board...)

Mark Klingelhoefer

(This post was edited by klingeme on Oct 15, 2008, 4:54 AM)

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Archive : 2008-2009 USPA BOD Elections

Search for (options)