Forums: Archive: 2008-2009 USPA BOD Elections:
Central Region RD

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

skydived19006  (D 19006)

Sep 23, 2008, 6:49 AM
Post #1 of 68 (4335 views)
Shortcut
Central Region RD Can't Post

There are four contested (possibly some write ins?) Regional Director seats. Since I'm in the Central Region, I'm picking this one to discuss.

Matt "Rook" Nelson - Central - alchemy
Gary Peek - Central - Peek

My impression of Gary Peek is that he's primary concern is skydiving, and skydivers. He's also one of the few voices for the small operations. "The big guys" often seem to forget, or have no idea what goes on at the small weekend operations. Gary has also always been very responsive to the membership. He returns emails, and will spend time on the phone with anyone willing to make the call, or receive the call.

I don't know Rook, never met him, or talked with him. What I do know is that he's another DZO of a very large DZ. I think we have enough DZOs currently on the BOD.

Martin

livendive  (D 21415)

Sep 23, 2008, 11:33 AM
Post #2 of 68 (4262 views)
Shortcut
Re: [skydived19006] Central Region RD [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm not in the Central region, but will still second your support of Gary Peek. Gary has shared hours on the phone with me over the years discussing USPA stuff and fundamental skydiving instruction stuff, and that's despite the fact that he's not my RD and I can't vote for him. He's a good guy.

Blues,
Dave

(This post was edited by livendive on Sep 23, 2008, 11:36 AM)

wildfan75  (D 29536)

Sep 23, 2008, 1:09 PM
Post #3 of 68 (4234 views)
Shortcut
Re: [livendive] Central Region RD [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
I'm not in the Central region, but will still second your support of Gary Peek. Gary has shared hours on the phone with me over the years discussing USPA stuff and fundamental skydiving instruction stuff, and that's despite the fact that he's not my RD and I can't vote for him. He's a good guy.

Blues,
Dave

My fiancee used to comment that he had spoken to Gary every once in awhile, and again, Gary's not our RD.

I had the opportunity to meet Gary at Couch this year. I was smack dab in the middle of a competition or I would have loved to have chatted with him a bit more.

councilman24  (D 8631)

Sep 23, 2008, 1:31 PM
Post #4 of 68 (4225 views)
Shortcut

Gary has called me several times, often to double check a comment or discuss an issue of the day. Gary is one of the good guys and a voice of reason. His is part of the solution, not part of the problem. We need more like him, not less.

I'm not in the central region but have gotten to know Gary through the years at symposiums.

kallend  (D 23151)

Sep 24, 2008, 6:34 AM
Post #5 of 68 (4165 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:
There are four contested (possibly some write ins?) Regional Director seats. Since I'm in the Central Region, I'm picking this one to discuss.

Matt "Rook" Nelson - Central - alchemy
Gary Peek - Central - Peek

My impression of Gary Peek is that he's primary concern is skydiving, and skydivers. He's also one of the few voices for the small operations. "The big guys" often seem to forget, or have no idea what goes on at the small weekend operations. Gary has also always been very responsive to the membership. He returns emails, and will spend time on the phone with anyone willing to make the call, or receive the call.

I don't know Rook, never met him, or talked with him. What I do know is that he's another DZO of a very large DZ. I think we have enough DZOs currently on the BOD.

Martin

Gary is a good guy. No doubt in my mind about that.

So is Rook. He is NOT your normal DZO.

Hard choice.

SDChicago  (D 19871)

Nov 28, 2008, 12:26 PM
Post #6 of 68 (3846 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kallend] Central Region RD [In reply to] Can't Post

My primary reason for running to is make some change. I have been in skydiving my entire life and don't see any career change in the future. I have sat on the sideline of many BOD meeting giving input when I could. I know what is good for the sport and can bring a youthful vision of that to USPA. All my ideas are good for every dropzone not just mine. I am fortunate that I have a great staff that can look after the place when I visit your DZ to hear your concerns. If you want your BOD to do more then vote for me and give me the chance to do that.

Rook
PS. First post, beer right?

matthewcline  (D 21585)

Nov 28, 2008, 3:19 PM
Post #7 of 68 (3825 views)
Shortcut
Re: [SDChicago] Central Region RD [In reply to] Can't Post

Rook,

I think the folks who are asking want you to detail the changes your proposing.

I think the AFP program can be instituted nationally already, I think the ISP has allowences for it.

I know I am not in your region, but that was the only thing I took out of your Parachutist Bio.

Tell them what else you want to try, I am sure it will help, and will quiet the "conspirtists" Tongue.

Matt

SDChicago  (D 19871)

Nov 28, 2008, 10:33 PM
Post #8 of 68 (3792 views)
Shortcut
Re: [matthewcline] Central Region RD [In reply to] Can't Post

First for my Kansas City Friends I want to dive into the tax there are getting imposed. Second, it seems like more people that do demos are getting hurt and creating bad press for our sport. I think we should have better guidelines for getting a PRO rating and you should have to keep current. AFP, AFF is a training method started in the 70's. We need to update this. If I told you to jump a rig from the 70's most people would laugh at me. Better and more detailed Canopy education. I don't think there is anyone that would disagree. I can keep going but this is where I'll start. Again please don't vote for me is you like the way national organization is, cause I'm not going to keep quite. I bring an entire life of to DZ experience to the table.

Rook

skydived19006  (D 19006)

Nov 29, 2008, 7:33 AM
Post #9 of 68 (3761 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:
First for my Kansas City Friends I want to dive into the tax there are getting imposed...
Rook

Rook,

Are you referring to sales tax? USPA is going to get involved in MO tax law?

Martin

Edit to add: After thinking about it, I'm going to look into changing my ballot. This guy can do some write'n!!

Martin

(This post was edited by skydived19006 on Nov 29, 2008, 8:00 AM)

SDChicago  (D 19871)

Nov 29, 2008, 8:52 AM
Post #10 of 68 (3744 views)
Shortcut

I can't say USPA is going to do anything cause I'm not on the BOD. I don't think we can go against the US TAX system but it doesn't mean we can't ask question and find out why nobody else is getting charged this tax. We should look into it now before while its still a small scale. Think about getting a few bucks tack on to each of your fun jumps. I know how people liked the jump rate increase due to fuel prices.

WatchYourStep  (D License)

Nov 30, 2008, 9:04 AM
Post #11 of 68 (3658 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:
AFP, AFF is a training method started in the 70's. We need to update this. If I told you to jump a rig from the 70's most people would laugh at me.
Rook

Rook, I love the idea on PRO rating currency. I think that is needed and applaud that idea.

What do you mean by updating the AFP/AFF training? I only ask because saying "we need to update this" doesn't tell me what you are thinking about doing etc.

Just curious.

skydived19006  (D 19006)

Nov 30, 2008, 9:54 AM
Post #12 of 68 (3644 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:
I can't say USPA is going to do anything cause I'm not on the BOD. I don't think we can go against the US TAX system but it doesn't mean we can't ask question and find out why nobody else is getting charged this tax. We should look into it now before while its still a small scale. Think about getting a few bucks tack on to each of your fun jumps. I know how people liked the jump rate increase due to fuel prices.

I don't think that it's a good idea to go poking around in other states asking about sales tax on skydiving. The only outcome would be to have 49 more states look into the issue, and come to the realization that all those fun jumps are in fact not "school", therefore subject to sales tax.

sunshine  (D License)

Nov 30, 2008, 4:31 PM
Post #13 of 68 (3597 views)
Shortcut

I'm lucky cause i have known Gary and Rook for about the same amount of time. I've had many talks about skydiving, safety etc with both of them. (It's true that skydive chicago is my home dz now, but i started jumping 10 years ago at a cessna club dz via static line, so i'm not stuck in the mindset of bigger commerical dz is definitely better.) They are both awesome guys and either one would serve the region well. It's a hard choice between the two - no doubt about that.

But to base your opinion against rook just cause he's a dzo is ridiculous. Before making blanket statements, maybe you should get to know a little about him and his vision and values. Just cause questions have been asked of him on dzcom, that doesn't mean jackshit. Not everyone is on dzcom. To be a good skydiver, or representative doesn't require you to be on dzcom. (Oh and just cause someone doesn't have the best grammar or writing skills, doesn't mean they can't represent well.)

So to everyone - if you wanna know something about rook or gary, send them an email or call them. Don't expect them to constantly be monitoring dzcom. And before voting, definitely take the time to get to know each candidate before making such an important decision.

skydived19006  (D 19006)

Dec 1, 2008, 5:42 AM
Post #14 of 68 (3553 views)
Shortcut
Re: [sunshine] Central Region RD [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm sure Rook is a fine guy, I've never met or talked with him. That said, I know you've heard "People judge you by the words you use." It really is true, especially in light of the fact that Rook is campaigning. His use of the language is pitiful, that from someone who's spelling is for shit (me).

Martin

AndyMan  (D 25698)

Dec 1, 2008, 6:06 AM
Post #15 of 68 (3548 views)
Shortcut

I like Gary and think he's a good guy, but I just can't get over the fact that in 10 years of skydiving in Chicago, I can't think of a single time I've seen him at my home DZ. It's solely for that reason that I gave my vote to Rook.

Rook is also a good guy, and I'd be happy to see him on the BOD.

_Am

kirkverner  (D 11059)

Dec 1, 2008, 6:50 AM
Post #16 of 68 (3536 views)
Shortcut

You are your actions not your words.

mjosparky  (D 5476)

Dec 1, 2008, 10:52 AM
Post #17 of 68 (3496 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kirkverner] Central Region RD [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
You are your actions not your words.

Kirk,

I would hope that someone with your experience who is running for the BOD would have something more positive to say. You and Rook are the ones asking for the vote not the posters asking questions. Rook is responding to these not real skydivers and outlining some of his ideas. You might give it a try.

Sparky

chutejump  (D 6919)

Dec 1, 2008, 11:31 AM
Post #18 of 68 (3478 views)
Shortcut

HUmmmmmmmm? DZOs (business owners) as directors, or national directors of a membership organization that are effectively the clientel and base consumers of the businesses that they operate!

I see "NO CONFLICT" there just like the government or congress! There are many well meaning oil company, Banking, and Manufacturing execs whom are willingly giving of their knowledge and free time, to help guide our country with no concern whatsoever as to their gonernment decisions having an effect on their business operations!!!!

You should vote with your upmost concern being whom would be the best candidate for the organization and the sport!
Your home DZ, the DZ that you frequent, personal relationships, with persons or Drop Zone management, should not play a part in the decision.

kirkverner  (D 11059)

Dec 1, 2008, 11:53 AM
Post #19 of 68 (3462 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mjosparky] Central Region RD [In reply to] Can't Post

What Im saying is that you can't just judge someone by their grammar or writing skills. Their actions are what determines the person. People will tell you all day long about their attributes and act exactly the opposite.

Premier MissMelissa  (D 20224)

Dec 1, 2008, 1:38 PM
Post #20 of 68 (3435 views)
Shortcut

I sincerely appreciate everyone's point of view. I understand that regular fun jumpers have their views of how this might feel like putting the BOD in a vulnerable situation. It is hard to encompass all a DZO's frustrations, visions, financial responsibilities, etc. to the general public without having done it. Now, not being a DZO, I truly understand and have experienced both sides of the coin.

I've been to several BOD meetings in the past and there were only a handful of other jumpers there to represent their voice of concerns. The BOD constantly ran into problems getting jumpers involved. The BOD, no matter who is in office, needs to have US involved in order to make a difference.

It is great to see that these new candidates have sparked interest in people to become more involved in our organization! All these concerns expressed here can definitely be incorporated to the agenda.

There is a lot of work that is done behind the scenes and is no small task. I think it's great that there is a movement in what seems to be a stagnant organization. Perhaps the collective new energy can be channeled into making new things happen. Even if they're not voted in, what they have done thus far is remarkable. Perhaps it may inspire those already in office to be more motivated in making change or rededicate their purpose as a part of the BOD.

Regardless, I encourage those to vote for change. As a whole we do resist change. It could be based on comforts as to what's already been going on, fear of change, or other reasons. But we don't know unless we try it. Change seems to happen when there is pertinent collective reason for new action - this is what these new candidates are representing.

And of course, these people, including myself, are put out in the public spotlight. Our past is up for criticism, our intentions are scrutinized, our purpose may seem unclear - but wholly, it only makes a difference when each USPA member is actively participating in the on goings of each BOD meeting and in general with our sport. We're a team, we're in this together. Not to point out each others faults, but to vote for whom we believe to be the best to represent us in the USPA's BOD.

mjosparky  (D 5476)

Dec 1, 2008, 5:52 PM
Post #21 of 68 (3379 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:
What Im saying is that you can't just judge someone by their grammar or writing skills. Their actions are what determines the person. People will tell you all day long about their attributes and act exactly the opposite.

I agree with you on this to an extent. Spell check and grammar check are 2 tools I use to hide the fact that my spelling and writing skills are less than stellar. When proper spelling a grammar are used it is easier for the reader to understand what I am trying to say without re-reading it several times.

Sparky

skydived19006  (D 19006)

Dec 1, 2008, 5:59 PM
Post #22 of 68 (3376 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mjosparky] Central Region RD [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

I agree with you on this to an extent. Spell check and grammar check are 2 tools I use to hide the fact that my spelling and writing skills are less than stellar. When proper spelling a grammar are used it is easier for the reader to understand what I am trying to say without re-reading it several times.

Sparky

I use spell check constantly. Not taking a little time to do the best I can with grammar, and spelling to me only comes off as lazy and disrespectful at best, and ignorant at worst. I am over 40, and understand that "kids" may not place as much value on the ability to show some level of intelligence with their use of the language.

mjosparky  (D 5476)

Dec 1, 2008, 6:08 PM
Post #23 of 68 (3365 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:
People will tell you all day long about their attributes and act exactly the opposite.

And that is why they are called Politicians.

Sparky

skydived19006  (D 19006)

Dec 1, 2008, 6:12 PM
Post #24 of 68 (3363 views)
Shortcut
Re: [MissMelissa] Central Region RD [In reply to] Can't Post

Melissa,

I think you have some valid points.

I think that what has motivated folks (on dropzone.com) to become energized is the whole Skyride situation, and the BOD's, specifically the Executive Committee's handling of the issue. The Executive Committee just stinkss of corruption.

I think that we need to clean house a bit, but not throw out the baby with the bathwater.

It has also been my observation that this new found involvement by the membership does not very extend very far from the list of folks who've posted here. I asked a handful of members to vote, and their response was "Ok, who should I vote for?" Granted one person said that he wanted to do a bit of research and pick his own, but my guess is that he'll read Parachutist and throw darts.

I also think that there is a place for DZOs on the BOD, but no more than 2 or 3, and better in the position of ND.

These are my opinions. I respect your opinions, and thank you for sharing.

Martin

skyh2omedic

Dec 1, 2008, 7:30 PM
Post #25 of 68 (3345 views)
Shortcut

I support Gary for many of the reasons you listed.
I have had some good conversations with him and have watched him interface with other members. I do not know Rook, but i hear good things about him and his DZ operation. I would like to visit with him and maybe support him for ND next time around.

I have been a USPA member off and on since 81. I think our organization is stale and needs new ideas, a clear vision forward with measurable benchmarks and needs to communicate effectively with the membership.

Just because i believe in change doesn't mean we should throw all the current BOD out. Gary is a keeper in my book and i think he is receptive to change while keeping some of the good that exist in USPA.

With most things in life moderation is key. I hope we end up with a bunch of new faces and ideas with a few of the current serving back again. I do not want to see any particualr interest or group to dominate. I do want to see the many different aspects of our sport represented.

To all of you that are running. Most folks i visit with are hungry for true leadership. I see very few who are running clearly outline their vision or articulate what they actually mean by "Change". This is great medium to do that in.

Whoever wins, we as members need to be better about being active in the USPA. Statring with me, i plan on doing that this next term. I'm tired of us treading water or taking on water. Let's grow and expand. Let's set some real membership goals and gain more members. Let's get out there in the public in a positive way like a few of the teams do. Let's gain on some corporate sponsorships. Let's grow our audience for our competitions. Let's get more recognition for our Collegiates. Let's have an oprganization whose elected officals have clear transperancy in all dealings. Let's continue to look at new methods of training/education/safety. The secret crap has to stop. I have served on many boards and often personnel actions and real estate transactions are saved for closed session-everything else is openly discussed/debated. I want to see how everyone on my BOD'S voted on every matter.
Good luck to all who stepped up to run.. Let's hope that this new Board will be able to move us in the right direction. I for one will be happy to see it. I'll also be around to vote next time.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Archive : 2008-2009 USPA BOD Elections

Search for (options)