Forums: Archive: 2008-2009 USPA BOD Elections:
Candidate Question Concerning Skyride.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Amazon  (D License)

Sep 14, 2008, 8:28 PM
Post #1 of 49 (5500 views)
Shortcut
Candidate Question Concerning Skyride. Can't Post

For those who are running for National Director.

I am very interested in your support of dropzones that do business with a company that has harmed the USPA.

Do you personally support a DZ that accepts Skyride Certificates and do you benefit financially from their acceptance?

I pretty much know where Larry Hill stands already.

skyh2omedic

Sep 14, 2008, 8:47 PM
Post #2 of 49 (5451 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Amazon] Candidate Question Concerning Skyride. [In reply to] Can't Post

I pretty much want to know the same thing.
What relationship if any does each BOD candiate
have with Skyride? Do you have any relationship with any DZ that does business with them? For example will you teach or hold a course at a DZ that does busines with Skyride? Since current BOD members may not be able to express an opinion on Skyride then i only want to know your relationship with them. You do not need to tell me if like them or not.

BillyVance  (D 18895)

Sep 14, 2008, 8:48 PM
Post #3 of 49 (5451 views)
Shortcut

Talk about tightening the screws a little too far... Laugh

Going to be tough for them to say yes, if they want to be re-elected.

Amazon  (D License)

Sep 14, 2008, 9:34 PM
Post #4 of 49 (5438 views)
Shortcut
Re: [BillyVance] Candidate Question Concerning Skyride. [In reply to] Can't Post

Billy I believe in truth... and truth will out.

If they are unable to answer the question in a forthright manner. they will not get my vote for ND.

(This post was edited by Amazon on Sep 14, 2008, 9:36 PM)

diablopilot  (D License)

Sep 14, 2008, 11:03 PM
Post #5 of 49 (5419 views)
Shortcut

No, and no to your questions.

peek  (D 8884)

Sep 15, 2008, 5:31 AM
Post #6 of 49 (5396 views)
Shortcut
Re: [skyh2omedic] Candidate Question Concerning Skyride. [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
I pretty much want to know the same thing.
What relationship if any does each BOD candiate
have with Skyride? Do you have any relationship with any DZ that does business with them? For example will you teach or hold a course at a DZ that does busines with Skyride?

No and no.

SStewart  (D 10405)

Sep 15, 2008, 6:22 AM
Post #7 of 49 (5391 views)
Shortcut

No and No.

Premier NWFlyer  (D License)

Sep 15, 2008, 6:42 AM
Post #8 of 49 (5385 views)
Shortcut

Quote:
Do you personally support a DZ that accepts Skyride Certificates and do you benefit financially from their acceptance?

Benefit financially? No, I don't benefit financially from, nor do I work for any dropzone.

Personally support? I suppose that depends on how you define that. I've jumped at all of the dropzones in California on this list except San Diego, Santa Barbara, and Taft. Of course, anyone digging into my posts a little could figure that out.

NickDG  (D 8904)

Sep 15, 2008, 8:59 AM
Post #9 of 49 (5356 views)
Shortcut
Re: [NWFlyer] Candidate Question Concerning Skyride. [In reply to] Can't Post

>>Personally support? I suppose that depends on how you define that.<<

You have my support based on a few years of reading your stuff here on DZ.com. But now you're starting to scare me. So, if I may, a little friendly advice.

Since you announced I notice a change in your postings. You aren't in yet and already beginning to sound like one of them. You're hedging your thoughts now. For instance the fellow in the other thread asked how to get back from afar, and the answer was simply stay in the air as long as you can. But the answer you gave even I couldn't understand.

In the present thread the question called for a simple yes or no answer. You even got two no/no answer examples prior to yours. But instead you gave us:

"The Bush Doctrine? In what fashion, Charlie?"

So unless you figure out a firm agenda for change and storm USPA like a hurricane with it, like many before you, you're going to get eaten alive . . .

NickD Smile

skydived19006  (D 19006)

Sep 15, 2008, 9:23 AM
Post #10 of 49 (5351 views)
Shortcut
Re: [NickDG] Candidate Question Concerning Skyride. [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
>>Personally support? I suppose that depends on how you define that.<<

You have my support based on a few years of reading your stuff here on DZ.com. But now you're starting to scare me. So, if I may, a little friendly advice.

Since you announced I notice a change in your postings. You aren't in yet and already beginning to sound like one of them. You're hedging your thoughts now. For instance the fellow in the other thread asked how to get back from afar, and the answer was simply stay in the air as long as you can. But the answer you gave even I couldn't understand.

In the present thread the question called for a simple yes or no answer. You even got two no/no answer examples prior to yours. But instead you gave us:

"The Bush Doctrine? In what fashion, Charlie?"

So unless you figure out a firm agenda for change and storm USPA like a hurricane with it, like many before you, you're going to get eaten alive . . .

NickD Smile

I understood Krissann's response as not denying that she had visited dropzones that do trade with Skyride. So, she answered the question as opposed to not, or lying.

Martin

skydived19006  (D 19006)

Sep 15, 2008, 9:40 AM
Post #11 of 49 (5346 views)
Shortcut

Good question, but not much point to it. Nobody who works or owns a DZ which trades with Skyride is going to admit it here, why would they. For instance, Jay Stokes works at Skydive Greensburg IA, which does a large amount of Skyride business (from what I know, correct me if Im wrong on either point). I do not have a firm position on Jay, but youre going to base your vote on this alone

Martin

livendive  (D 21415)

Sep 15, 2008, 10:55 AM
Post #12 of 49 (5324 views)
Shortcut
Re: [skydived19006] Candidate Question Concerning Skyride. [In reply to] Can't Post

I believe Lee Schlichtemeier's answers would be "Yes and Yes" (he owns such a dropzone).

Blues,
Dave

Sep 15, 2008, 11:13 AM
Post #13 of 49 (5315 views)
Shortcut

Quote:
Since you announced I notice a change in your postings. You aren't in yet and already beginning to sound like one of them. You're hedging your thoughts now.

That's the beauty of the internet. You, and anyone else, can read whatever tone you want into my posts and if you go looking for a change, you'll probably find it.

Tell ya what - I'm going to be down in Pasadena a bunch of times for work between now and the election. Any time you want to sit down over a beer let me know. You can decide in person. Smile

Amazon  (D License)

Sep 15, 2008, 2:13 PM
Post #14 of 49 (5281 views)
Shortcut
Re: [skydived19006] Candidate Question Concerning Skyride. [In reply to] Can't Post

I too understood her responses. I have talked with her and know how she feels.

I will still be voting for her.. and its not just based on this single issue. But this single issue does point to something I am willing to base a hefty amount of judgement in placing my votes.

I really am looking for reasons to vote FOR candidates because I already have a long list of things to base not voting for many of the current BOD.

pilotdave  (D License)

Sep 15, 2008, 8:03 PM
Post #15 of 49 (5222 views)
Shortcut

Quote:
For instance the fellow in the other thread asked how to get back from afar, and the answer was simply stay in the air as long as you can. But the answer you gave even I couldn't understand.

Not to change the subject, but her answer was a lot better than yours in that thread. She recommended trying different techniques to see what works best, but for her canopy deep brakes works best. You just said to stay in the air as long as possible, which doesn't answer the question at all. How do you stay in the air longest and how is that beneficial? If you want to give the shortest, most pointless answer, it would be to increase your glide ratio with respect to the ground as much as possible, not to stay in the air as long as possible.

I see a change in the posts of a couple people running for BOD positions for their first time... but that one is a perfect example of a useful, educational post that actually helped answer the OP's question. Just like before she was running for the BOD.

Dave

NickDG  (D 8904)

Sep 16, 2008, 7:22 AM
Post #16 of 49 (5178 views)
Shortcut
Re: [pilotdave] Candidate Question Concerning Skyride. [In reply to] Can't Post

Easy Dave . . .

Just giving her a taste of the biggest problem she'll face. The idiot membership. This sport has more know-it-alls per capita than any I've seen. And her answer was better than yours Wink. She explained and offered a solution (let's go have a beer) without being confrontational.

I'm not sure if they still do it, but USPA used to keep a list of "problem" members. These were the ones who called all the time to bitch about everything under the sun. (Bill Ottley actually called it the shit list). He said they only heard in general from 2 or 3 percent of membership and out of those there were a dozen of so that were a complete PITA. And the list was so newer staff would know to watch what they said to these folks.

Krisanne will do fine. My only advice to her would be, in the beginning, grab on to Jan Meyers belt loop and hang on. It's going to be a bumpy ride . . .

NickD Smile

Premier DSE  (D 29060)

Sep 17, 2008, 3:36 PM
Post #17 of 49 (5067 views)
Shortcut

I wouldn't deign to speak for Jay, but Jay Stokes is the most stand-up guy on the board. I think he's about skydiving, not about politics.
From my perspective from sitting on several boards over the years, there is a smart way and a not-so-smart way to behave. Few of the USPA board members currently, behave like professionals; I've watched almost every one of them (exceptinging 4-5) behave like rotten, petulant children that whine, cry, bitch, moan, and squeal. Name-calling out of the meetings, and back-stabbing privately and publically. They're supposed to set (and demonstrate) a higher standard.

Jay Stokes and Larry Hill are two men that live by and set a higher standard, IMO. I've had extremely limited dealings with both of them, but it doesn't take a genius to know what their character is after only a few minutes with either of them.

Regardless, the board is powerless against Skyride at the end of the day. It's been proven. The board fucked up twice in dealing with Skyride. The Skyride issue is a DZO and government issue. The USPA as a whole can make a statement against the methodologies that Skyride employs, but Skyride does not directly affect the USPA any differently than any other dropzone, whether they're USPA or not.
If Lodi, for example, does something illicit and slimy, all dropzones look bad, USPA or not (Lodi is not a USPA dropzone). If Skydive Arizona does something illicit and slimy, all dropzones look bad. USPA can't do much about that. They cannot govern how a business conducts itself. And they must be very cautious about what they say as a governing body, regarding how any skydiving business operates.
Frankly, I don't much care what the USPA has to say about Skyride, because they can't really touch Skyride. They may as well make commentary on the Freddie Mac/Fannie Mae scandals for all the impact they have.

skydived19006  (D 19006)

Sep 18, 2008, 6:32 AM
Post #18 of 49 (5016 views)
Shortcut
Re: [DSE] Candidate Question Concerning Skyride. [In reply to] Can't Post

DSE, I appreciate your input.

As far as the whole Skyride issue, and the USPA goes, I'm reminded of a Clint Eastwood quote. I was watching some sort of documentary piece on Clint. He was working with a director for the first time. They shot a scene, and the director says "Line it up, let's shoot it again!" Clint walks over to him

Clint: Was I in focus?
Director: What?
Clint: Was I in focus!?
Director: Yes,
Clint: Lets move on.

MakeItHappen

Sep 25, 2008, 4:56 PM
Post #19 of 49 (4799 views)
Shortcut

Just an FYI

I want to make it explicit that I am making this post in my personal capacity as a citizen of the United States of America

Here is the important information.

State of Georgia v. 1800Skyride

peanut4040  (D 23837)

Sep 26, 2008, 10:16 AM
Post #20 of 49 (4748 views)
Shortcut
Re: [MakeItHappen] Candidate Question Concerning Skyride. [In reply to] Can't Post

good one Jan,,, very nice.

oh yeah, nice gag

Oct 1, 2008, 11:11 PM
Post #21 of 49 (4618 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:
She explained and offered a solution (let's go have a beer) without being confrontational.

I gotta give Nick credit. He didn't chicken out on that Beer!. It was a fun evening tonight.

WinkCool

NickDG  (D 8904)

Oct 2, 2008, 9:38 PM
Post #22 of 49 (4541 views)
Shortcut

And after explaining to everyone about buying that really cool nine dollar Octoberfest glass that got you cheap refills I wound up leaving mine on the table . . . Shocked

NickD Smile

floormonkey  (D License)

Oct 6, 2008, 9:54 AM
Post #23 of 49 (4456 views)
Shortcut
Re: [livendive] Candidate Question Concerning Skyride. [In reply to] Can't Post

Skydive Dallas no longer accepts Skyride or any of it's affiliates.

Driver1  (D License)

Nov 10, 2008, 11:08 AM
Post #24 of 49 (4178 views)
Shortcut

What about Victor Johnson? Anyone know about his position on 1 800 Skyride?
I will carry this question one step further and be more direct,
Victor Johnson, Do you currently or have you in the past, have/had ANY affiliation with or have you benefitted financially from 1 800 Skyride (or any of their aliases) or any DZ that accepts 1 800 Skyride's business?
AND, Have you ever attempted, or successfully assisted any of 1 800 Skyride's issues with PR problems or logistical issues.
Be truthful, you know there's a few things that are public knowledge already and there are several of us that don't mind exposing more of it.

(This post was edited by Driver1 on Nov 10, 2008, 11:11 AM)

popsjumper  (D 999999999)

Nov 12, 2008, 5:03 AM
Post #25 of 49 (4080 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:
In reply to:
She explained and offered a solution (let's go have a beer) without being confrontational.

I gotta give Nick credit. He didn't chicken out on that Beer!. It was a fun evening tonight.

WinkCool

So...do we all get to be in on the results or get a synopsis of your Skyride discussion?

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Archive : 2008-2009 USPA BOD Elections

Search for (options)