Forums: Skydiving: General Skydiving Discussions:
License requirements?

scottbre  (A License)

Jan 2, 2003, 8:18 AM
Post #1 of 6 (1019 views)
Shortcut
License requirements? Can't Post

Ok, among all of the various requirements for getting the D license is the following (taken directly from the USPA SIM):

"Persons holding a USPA D license are able to exercise all privileges of a C license holder, participate in certain demonstration jumps, are eligible for all USPA ratings, and must have- . . .

c. landed within two meters of target center on 25 jumps . . ."

My question is to the actual meaning of this. Does this mean that all that you have to do is land within two meters of the target center on 25 jumps, or do you have to declare that you are going to try to land on target before getting on the plane, spot yourself, and then have a a person with an Instructor rating there to witness your landing (25 times)? This second scenario is how my DZO claims it has to be done, but that seems very impractical and I can't seem to find anything in the SIM or wording of the SIM that would suggest that this is the case.

My question for the experts (Instructor rating or more) is, what is your interpretation of this part of the D license requirements in the SIM?

For anyone who may not be an Instructor, how is this handled at your DZ?

(This post was edited by scottbre on Jan 2, 2003, 8:33 AM)

PhillyKev

Jan 2, 2003, 8:41 AM
Post #2 of 6 (964 views)
Shortcut
Re: [scottbre] License requirements? [In reply to] Can't Post

I've never heard it the way your DZO is interpreting it. Those are more along the lines for a pro rating, the way I understand it.

skyboyblue

Jan 2, 2003, 8:57 AM
Post #3 of 6 (951 views)
Shortcut

afaik, its on the honor system. If you can't do it when you are supposed to, it will come back and bite you in the ass later.

dterrick  (B 5079)

Jan 2, 2003, 10:34 AM
Post #4 of 6 (909 views)
Shortcut

Scott,

Sounds like your DZO doesn't believe your logging procedures and just wants to keep you honest. I'd think it is the USPA that passes judgement on your paperwork for the D CoP and not the DZO. Dig into the SIM and I suspect you;re right about the how's.

Whoever said you'd best be able to perform when called upon was right. I've heard so many stories about 'turbine babies' who don't know what a WDI is or how to calculate a spot. Is THAT someone deserving of an "expert" moniker? Hardly. Hopefully that does not describe you.

Here in Canada we get NO chance at a D before 500 jumps. An EJR (pro) is a C with 400+ jumps who must make 10 consecutive DECLARED 2m landings. This does not mean 10 JUMPS in a row, only that you declare and are observed to be batting 100 when you SAY you're going to the cookie.

If, after 200 jumps you had done 25 like that (1/8 INCLUDING your progression) I dont think ANYBODY would be questioning your qualifications. Just be real.

Blue Skies
Dave

Premier slotperfect  (D 13014)

Jan 2, 2003, 10:41 AM
Post #5 of 6 (901 views)
Shortcut

1) As your DZO describes it, those are "predeclared" jumps. As earlier described in this thread, those type of jumps are only required for a USPA PRO Rating.

2) There are really a couple of options for an individual logging his/her jumps (under the aforementioned honor system) for this requirement. A) Be casual about the entries and enter 'whatever" distances so the requirement will be met when the time comes, B) Get some specific lessons from an instructor that's good at teaching canopy control to hone your canopy skills so that your logbook entries are accurate and honest. In that case, the day that Murphy shows up to schedule a 1500 foot snivel for your canopy on a long spot, you have the skill to park yourself safely in the neighbors' yard next to the road and the buildings.

For the "D" you only have to land within (roughly) 6 feet of your intended target on 25 of 200 jumps. Very doable if the intention is there.

If your DZO continues to see it that way, find someone else to adminster the test, or email USPA to get a written clarification. safety@uspa.org <safety@uspa.org>

councilman24  (D 8631)

Jan 2, 2003, 10:54 AM
Post #6 of 6 (894 views)
Shortcut

For a D license you have to land within two meters on 25 jumps. They do not have to predeclared. It used to say on jumps you spotted but that has been removed. Probably in realization that the pilot is spoting many aircraft now and spotting no longer is critical to accuracy as it was with rounds. The SIM does indicate that "Jumps to meet skill requirements must be signed by a USPA Instructor, Instructor Examiner, Safety & Training Advisor, or a member of the USPA Board of Directors."

He's confusing the PRO rating requirements which require 10 predeclared (not necessarily consecutive) standup landing within 10 meters of the target. These must be witnessed by an S&TA, IE, or a BOD member.

Forums : Skydiving : General Skydiving Discussions

Search for (options)