Forums: Skydiving: Gear and Rigging:
14 years...

DavidB  (C 18138)

Aug 18, 2008, 11:06 AM
Post #1 of 6 (733 views)
Shortcut
14 years... Can't Post

When I stopped jumping in 1994, I put my gear in the closet & there it sat. Now I'm getting the itch to make another jump or two.

I've considered renting gear, but would obviously be more comfortable with my old gear: Swift container (unknown manufacture date but I suspect is around 86-89), Swift Plus 225 reserve (no jumps, repacked 3 or 4 times), PD210 main (around 25-30 jumps). Aside from the OBVIOUS "Have the whole rig checked before you even think about jumping it" is there anything I should be aware of (besides looking for obvious signs of damage)?

Any of the manufacturers still doing jump tests on long-term packed reserves interested in a rig like this?

Any "archaeological" riggers (the closer to NJ the better) interested in this job?

Should I just sell it & keep my old butt on the ground? Crazy

councilman24  (D 8631)

Aug 18, 2008, 11:27 AM
Post #2 of 6 (717 views)
Shortcut
Re: [DavidB] 14 years... [In reply to] Can't Post

Paraflite, maker of H/C and reserve no longer makes sport equipment but gear much like yours is still used in the military. PD non-zp main is still for sale. I have a Swift Plus reserve in my basement waiting for me to put in a rig of mine.

Other than finding a rigger who wants to pack the Swift container my guess is the gear is fine. There are a lot of people jumping gear that old that has been in continuous use!

Have it checked out. The biggest change is that many/most experienced jumpers are using an AAD now and the Swift rig probably isn't set up for it. Not needed if you don't want one. Rubber band and or bungee cord may need changing.

Hopefully though you haven't changed much. If you weigh much/any more than you did when you stopped you may want to rethink the main. And perhaps rent gear for a couple of tune up jumps. Get some refresher training. And welcome back.

pchapman  (D 1014)

Aug 18, 2008, 12:37 PM
Post #3 of 6 (680 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:
Should I just sell it & keep my old butt on the ground? Crazy

The gear should be fine as long as you haven't put on 50 lbs since you last jumped...

(In addition to making sure the old gear is good to go, being physically and mentally ready is also part of the process of getting back into the sport after a long layoff.)

DavidB  (C 18138)

Aug 18, 2008, 1:30 PM
Post #4 of 6 (637 views)
Shortcut
Re: [pchapman] 14 years... [In reply to] Can't Post

No, haven't gained 50 lbs, only about 20 (I'm up to 205 or so). I figured if I wasn't loading the main much over 1lb per sq/ft I'd be just fine.

One reason I balk at renting gear is the BOC deployment systems. I've only jumped either rip cords or leg straps.

As far as AAD's are concerned, I know they have their place. I was never able to afford one when I was jumping & for me to make only a couple jumps it doesn't make economic sense to get one now.

I'll watch this post for the next month or so before coming to a final conclusion. I need the time to mend a pulled muscle in my back anyway. Unsure

Thanx!

Premier PhreeZone  (D License)
Aug 18, 2008, 2:17 PM
Post #5 of 6 (609 views)
Shortcut

With that long of an amount of time off the DZ is going to probally make you do a recurrency course to go over all the malfunctions and situations again. That may include jumping a rig with an AAD in it for the jump or two needed to get signed off as cleared to jump again by the instructors. This would be individual DZ policy so I'd start out by checking with your local DZ's since if they require an AAD on "instructional" jumps then you might now have much choice in the matter and might have to rent anyways. Wink

Premier wmw999  (D 6296)

Aug 18, 2008, 7:55 PM
Post #6 of 6 (522 views)
Shortcut

I came back after about that long. I made a jump on a (BOC) rig before jumping my own, because they wanted me to do one with a Cypres first. But then I went back to jumping my (considerably older) gear and had no problems.

As long as you're not doing too many new things at once, going to BOC shouldn't be that big a deal. But after looking, I'll admit I had a bunch more jumps than you, so do use your judgment.

Wendy W.

(This post was edited by wmw999 on Aug 18, 2008, 7:56 PM)

Forums : Skydiving : Gear and Rigging

Search for (options)