Non Fatal - King Air Crash Pitt Meadows

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next page Last page  View All

everymansaved  (C License)

Aug 3, 2008, 9:29 PM
Post #1 of 200 (7451 views)
Shortcut
Non Fatal - King Air Crash Pitt Meadows Can't Post

http://www.news1130.com/...20080803_182833_8840

This article and a brief message from a friend are all I've heard so far, does anyone else have any more details? Thoughts and prayers to the injured party(ies) and their families...

Sean LR

mgoldade  (C 3277)

Aug 3, 2008, 10:56 PM
Post #2 of 200 (7187 views)
Shortcut
Re: [everymansaved] Non Fatal - King Air Crash Pitt Meadows [In reply to] Can't Post

No thoughts or comments on the crash, but my thoughts and prayers to the staff and passengers at Pacific Skydivers. Heal fast & Blue Skies!

skyfreek  (D 29757)

Aug 3, 2008, 10:58 PM
Post #3 of 200 (7183 views)
Shortcut
Re: [everymansaved] Non Fatal - King Air Crash Pitt Meadows [In reply to] Can't Post

i`ve been searching all over the news, prob won`t be anything out till monday morn. best wishes out to whoever it was that was injured. and way to go on the pilot keeping everyone alive...I had a lot of jumps out of that plane, i wonder if it will fly again???

Andrewwhyte  (C 1988)

Aug 4, 2008, 12:27 AM
Post #4 of 200 (7112 views)
Shortcut

Hi everyone,
I spoke to Debbie a couple of hours ago.
The plane suffered double engine loss just after take off. I don't know why. They were high enough that Ian could get it headed back toward the the airport. He came up short of the runway but the approach is flat blueberry fields. He put it down reasonably flat.
One of our friends is in critical condition tonight (I don't know whether his family is informed so I will leave his name out) but the other seven are going to be ok. Riggerrob is "bruised and cut" but otherwise ok; this is also true for most of the others on the plane. One of the tandem students has a broken pelvis and Reno has a concussion.
It could have been worse, but it could be better.

lippy  (D 30348)

Aug 4, 2008, 12:30 AM
Post #5 of 200 (7108 views)
Shortcut

That's shitty news. I've never jumped there but I have hit up their two sister DZs and have jumped with the Pacific Skydivers DZOs in Eloy. From everything I've seen and heard they're a class act all the way and it sucks to hear that this went down there. Best wishes for the injured parties to get well soon.

Lsia

Aug 4, 2008, 1:01 AM
Post #6 of 200 (7087 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Andrewwhyte] Non Fatal - King Air Crash Pitt Meadows [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for getting some details.
Nothing like the late night voicemail to get ya wondering.

Sleep well

O.

In reply to:
Hi everyone,
I spoke to Debbie a couple of hours ago.
The plane suffered double engine loss just after take off. I don't know why. They were high enough that Ian could get it headed back toward the the airport. He came up short of the runway but the approach is flat blueberry fields. He put it down reasonably flat.
One of our friends is in critical condition tonight (I don't know whether his family is informed so I will leave his name out) but the other seven are going to be ok. Riggerrob is "bruised and cut" but otherwise ok; this is also true for most of the others on the plane. One of the tandem students has a broken pelvis and Reno has a concussion.
It could have been worse, but it could be better.

Vectracide  (D License)

Aug 4, 2008, 9:14 AM
Post #7 of 200 (6489 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Andrewwhyte] Non Fatal - King Air Crash Pitt Meadows [In reply to] Can't Post

Hey Andrew. I'll add a little to your report.

There was a total of 8 on board. Pilot and owner Ian, 3 tandems and JP Forest who we are presuming was either doing a video for a tandem, or just fun jumping. JP is critically injured and was in ICU when we left the hospital last night, and he's a mess. Its very difficult to see him in such bad shape. JP has multiple fractures and a serious head injury. Everyone needs to pray for the best...but if anyone on that plane is capable of recovering, its this guy due to his spirit and past accomplishments. He's a tough dude. Family was on their way and is more than likely by his side by now.

As far as the others....one tandem has a fractured pelvis..I am unaware of the condition of the other 2. Presumably ok. Rigger Rob dislocated his shoulder. Gus has a closed lower leg fracture. Reno was at the same hospital as JP and has a concussion that allows him a total of about 12 seconds of memory. You could ask him if it was ok to take his girlfriend from him...and he'd forget in seconds. He'll be ok. And finally Ian, the pilot/owner, only has bumps and bruises.

My hat is off to Ian. He is the reason that the outcome isn't worse than it is. Dead sticking a King Air is no easy task...but to manage to 180 and land flat is quite an accomplishment. Thank you my friend.

Way too many planes have gone down lately. Its damn near more dangerous than getting out of them. Please take a minute to review your personal habits on takeoff and on the way to altitude. Seatbelts on, helmet preferably on, but at least strapped to your chest strap, have your leg straps and chest strap done...don't wait till you get to altitude, and always prepare in your mind for the unexpected scenarios.

Much love and respect.
Brad

Premier PhreeZone  (D License)
Aug 4, 2008, 9:43 AM
Post #8 of 200 (6406 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Vectracide] Non Fatal - King Air Crash Pitt Meadows [In reply to] Can't Post

Is there any reasons identified yet as to why JP was hurt more severly then others in the plane?

kallend  (D 23151)

Aug 4, 2008, 9:55 AM
Post #9 of 200 (6365 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Vectracide] Non Fatal - King Air Crash Pitt Meadows [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
JP is critically injured and was in ICU when we left the hospital last night, and he's a mess. Its very difficult to see him in such bad shape. JP has multiple fractures and a serious head injury.

Please take a minute to review your personal habits on takeoff and on the way to altitude. Seatbelts on, helmet preferably on, but at least strapped to your chest strap, have your leg straps and chest strap done...don't wait till you get to altitude, and always prepare in your mind for the unexpected scenarios.

Much love and respect.
Brad

Was JP wearing his helmet?

Ether

Aug 4, 2008, 10:16 AM
Post #10 of 200 (6306 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PhreeZone] Non Fatal - King Air Crash Pitt Meadows [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
Is there any reasons identified yet as to why JP was hurt more severly then others in the plane?

NOTE: I wasn't there, but it is my home dropzone...

- the King Air seats 14 (plus occasionally a birdman in the copilot seat).
- there were only 7 jumpers on the plane (there was a boogie at a nearby dropzone this weekend)
- everyone sits straddling two benches running down the length of the plane, sitting facing the rear. Tandems are farthest forward. Fun jumpers sit nearer the tail.

Conclusions (entirely speculation!):
- there was a lot of empty space in the plane
- whoever is sitting farthest to the rear has no one in front of them to help cushion the impact, and would be thrown a lot farther Unsure

(This post was edited by Ether on Aug 4, 2008, 10:20 AM)

Scrumpot  (D License)

Aug 4, 2008, 10:20 AM
Post #11 of 200 (6292 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kallend] Non Fatal - King Air Crash Pitt Meadows [In reply to] Can't Post

Sounds like Kudo's to the PIC are in order for bringing 'er back bent, but not broken, and all souls alive as well. Best wishes to all for speedy and full recoveries to the injuries.

Any details as to the seating/seat-belt configuration for this A/C? Benches? No Benches? Belt around hips or through harnesses, etc.? Any and all details obviously when they can be provided, would be much appreciated. How soon after take-off were the problems realized, and was there any time for re-adjustment/re-arrangement of seating and restraints, etc. as well. Sometimes (with PIC's permission of course) there is time to ascertain if all movinng either as much forward, or center, or what-have-you, may be of help, and just wondering if any of this was done, and/or what communication came about in the A/C (from pilot to jumpers and vice-versa) during the event?

Was JP, if shooting video, on the "toilet seat", and if so, how belted in for that? I've often times seen videots in this position using long extensions to the belts and having the helmet OFF their heads (but belted via the extension), so they can hand-held film T/O shots, etc. out the door. Anyone know if this was the case here, and/or just again any further details as to actual seating and belting configurations would probably be very useful info for learning opportunity.

Again - Kudo's for all on board being saved, and <<<vibes>>> for both speedy and FULL recover to all.

BSBD,
-Grant

stilettofly  (D 1025)

Aug 4, 2008, 4:28 PM
Post #12 of 200 (5830 views)
Shortcut

4:00 pm Aug.4 - I just spoke to JP's brother and JP is now "stable". He had surgery this morning, is back in the ICU and they are decreasing the medication that has kept him in a comatose state. The best news we've had in the past 24 hours! Please keep JP in your thoughts and prayers.

yarak  (D License)

Aug 4, 2008, 5:01 PM
Post #13 of 200 (5785 views)
Shortcut
Re: [stilettofly] Non Fatal - King Air Crash Pitt Meadows [In reply to] Can't Post

once again speculation, but i'm sure that if the pilot had enough time to turn around, then everyone on the plane had time to best positon themselves for a crash landing. I cant see why anyone would not quickly put thier helmet on. So i'm sure he would have had his helmet on. Maybe though if he was on the "toilet seat" his head could have possibly had less clearance with the "ceiling". And by ceiling I mean the wall behind his head and to the side of his head as well

(This post was edited by yarak on Aug 4, 2008, 5:07 PM)

stilettofly  (D 1025)

Aug 4, 2008, 5:16 PM
Post #14 of 200 (5758 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Scrumpot] Non Fatal - King Air Crash Pitt Meadows [In reply to] Can't Post

The initial engine failure happened just after the plane passed through 2,000 feet on it's way to 12,500. Ian heard a loud "bang" and felt the plane "shudder" and lost the right engine. He turned the plane back towards the airport on one engine, and the 2nd engine lost power. Gauges showed sufficient fuel and working boost pumps...a restart was attempted. The plane lost altitude quickly so he concentrated on keeping the plane level and choosing a clear place for the emergency landing. He put the plane down into a cranberry/peat field west of the airport. Ian brought the plane in level and the fuselage was kept in-tact. JP was the solo jumper on board with 3 tandems. He was probably sitting on the floor beside the jump door. He had a leather hat with him, but I don't know if it was on. The instructors were all wearing hard-shell helmets and were sitting with their students on the bench towards the nose, facing the tail of the plane.

One tandem student remains in hospital with a fractured pelvis. One instructor (Reno) is in hospital under observation due to memory loss. He called me this afternoon to ask for some phone #'s and to tell me he was "all good". Everyone else was sent home yesterday evening. Thank you for your prayers for JP!

divnswoop  (D 18276)

Aug 4, 2008, 6:19 PM
Post #15 of 200 (5665 views)
Shortcut
Re:Non Fatal - King Air Crash Pitt Meadows [In reply to] Can't Post

This reminds me of a DZ that had a bit of resistance when it took it's seatbelt requirement from 1500' to 2000'. Most skydivers don't realize that you loose at least 500' within seconds of loosing an engine. Add in the time it takes for the pilot to order the bailout, the time it takes skydivers to react, the time it takes for some to put their helment on/ tighten their leg straps/ put their chest strap on {idiotsMad}, you are left with a very bad situation.

Sounds like the pilot did an excellent job here and there were mostly instructors and highly experienced people on board. I hate to think what would happen if it was a full load and at the first sign of trouble someone got scared, blew the door, and the 5-6 people in the backed rushed the door. I'm sure it would not have been the same outcome.

(This post was edited by divnswoop on Aug 4, 2008, 6:25 PM)

everymansaved  (C License)

Aug 4, 2008, 9:17 PM
Post #16 of 200 (5466 views)
Shortcut
Re: [stilettofly] Non Fatal - King Air Crash Pitt Meadows [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for the info Debbie, it's always nice to have information that you can trust to be accurate. Glad to hear JP's in a better state.

freefli

Aug 4, 2008, 11:35 PM
Post #17 of 200 (5383 views)
Shortcut

Does Pitt Meadows now use seatbelts? I know the few times I've jumped there, the seatbelts were not able to be used, but this was a while ago. Maybe things have changed. Does anyone care to say if they know whether or not the seatbelts are being used at Pitt?

novacaine  (Student)

Aug 4, 2008, 11:47 PM
Post #18 of 200 (5375 views)
Shortcut

Was this the same King Air that was in for its annual not to long ago??
My prayers and thoughts are with you all. Heal fast!

Rookie120  (D 22748)

Aug 5, 2008, 6:43 AM
Post #19 of 200 (5178 views)
Shortcut

Quote:
Ian heard a loud "bang" and felt the plane "shudder" and lost the right engine. He turned the plane back towards the airport on one engine, and the 2nd engine lost power.
Quote:

I know it is probably premature but any info on what has caused the engine failure? Did the first engine grenade itself and somehow take out the #1? Maybe a flock of birds? It is just hard for me to believe that both engines would let go within moments of each other without one having to do with the other.

riggerrob  (D 14840)

Aug 5, 2008, 7:24 AM
Post #20 of 200 (5145 views)
Shortcut
Re: [freefli] Non Fatal - King Air Crash Pitt Meadows [In reply to] Can't Post

No!
Only the pilot was wearing a seatbelt.
JP was kneeling near the door.
On the previous load, JP was not wearing a hat for most of the airplane ride.
Everyone else was sitting -facing aft - on bobsled style benches.
When we heard the right engine make weird noises, Reno and I promptly donned out helmets (Pro-Tec and a Bonehead). Gus - the third TI usually wears a Gath helmet.
I don't remember anything between 800 feet and laying in the ambulance, but the senior medic said that I walked from the plane to the ambulance.

I remember most of the ambulance ride and the evening in the hospital. At Royal Columbian Hospital they did a CT scan of my (slightly concussed) head and X-rays of my dislocated right shoulder. They released me from the hospital that same evening.

I credit my Pro-Tec helmet with minimizing my head injuries.
This accident reinforces my opinion that there are two types of skydivers: those that wear hard-shell helmets and .... My opinion of helmet-less skydivers cannot be repeated in polite company!

CherieG  (Student)

Aug 5, 2008, 8:17 AM
Post #21 of 200 (5077 views)
Shortcut

Hi Debbie,

I'm so glad to hear that Ian brought the plan down as well as he did. My prayers are with you all! I'm looking forward to seeing you at the DZ in a couple of weeks.

-Cherie from Ottawa

freeflyn  (D License)

Aug 5, 2008, 8:24 AM
Post #22 of 200 (5060 views)
Shortcut
Re: [riggerrob] Non Fatal - King Air Crash Pitt Meadows [In reply to] Can't Post

Why was the pilot the only one wearing a seat belt? I am glad to hear you made it through ok, my thoughts and prayers are with JP now Unsure

Sonicfreefly  (D License)

Aug 5, 2008, 8:26 AM
Post #23 of 200 (5056 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PhreeZone] Non Fatal - King Air Crash Pitt Meadows [In reply to] Can't Post

JP was hurt more than the other because after the plane touch down, a wing tip or gear caught and spun the plane. This caused most of the passengers to get thrown into the tail and on top of JP.

JumpusPilotus  (C License)

Aug 5, 2008, 8:31 AM
Post #24 of 200 (5048 views)
Shortcut

All my thoughts to all of you guys.

Hats up to you Ian, you probably saved a few lives.

Rob, Gus, Reno and all on board, I hope you'll get well fast.

To JP's friends and familly, I'm sending all the energy, all the positive thoughts. No doubt in my mind that he will recover from his injuries.

You guys are the best I've ever worked with in my whole life, I'm sure you'll all recover from this.

Be strong!

Steeve
PSD's jump pilot/tandem master during seasons 2005 and 2006.

(This post was edited by JumpusPilotus on Aug 5, 2008, 9:00 AM)

kkeenan  (D 22164)

Aug 5, 2008, 9:21 AM
Post #25 of 200 (4942 views)
Shortcut
Re: [riggerrob] Non Fatal - King Air Crash Pitt Meadows [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
Only the pilot was wearing a seatbelt.

It will be interesting to see if our friends to the North will make what seems to be the right choice without government regulation.

Did this aircraft even have seatbelts ?

Kevin K.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Skydiving : Incidents

Search for (options)