Forums: Skydiving: General Skydiving Discussions:
aftermath of hawaii double fatal

outofit  (Student)

Dec 27, 2002, 7:36 PM
Post #1 of 10 (2002 views)
Shortcut
aftermath of hawaii double fatal Can't Post

does anyone know if this incident has impacted the tandem business out there. i am sure it has but i was wondering how much.

lippy  (D 30348)

Dec 27, 2002, 7:49 PM
Post #2 of 10 (1981 views)
Shortcut
Re: [outofit] aftermath of hawaii double fatal [In reply to] Can't Post

I'd imagine that business will slow down for a while, then people will forget and it will gradually pick up again. That's what happened at my old DZ when a student went in. At least, I hope that will happen for the sake of the DZ

petur  (C 74)

Dec 29, 2002, 9:20 AM
Post #3 of 10 (1710 views)
Shortcut

Hmm... we had a tandem with two canopies out which entangled and the pair crashed pretty hard on a pavement in 1996. Both survived but the passenger sustained some major injuries.

Oddly enough, the media coverage somehow resulted in a great increase of new students that year... never before (nor after) have we seen such an increase.

Premier billvon  (D 16479)
Dec 29, 2002, 10:54 AM
Post #4 of 10 (1689 views)
Shortcut

Every time we had a fatality/incident back at Skydive Long Island, business picked up. There's no such thing as bad publicity, as the old saying goes.

outofit  (Student)

Dec 29, 2002, 12:10 PM
Post #5 of 10 (1669 views)
Shortcut
Re: [billvon] aftermath of hawaii double fatal [In reply to] Can't Post

billvon thanks for the honest answer unlike the previous post which was laden with sarcasm!

Premier PhreeZone  (D License)
Dec 29, 2002, 12:53 PM
Post #6 of 10 (1655 views)
Shortcut

Sarcasm? I just saw people giving you honest answers and their opinions.

listo  (D License)

Dec 30, 2002, 2:33 AM
Post #7 of 10 (1540 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PhreeZone] aftermath of hawaii double fatal [In reply to] Can't Post

Frown I really don't understand how press like this could possibly be good press. It just means that wuffo's are going to be coming to the DZ to try and talk about things in which they know nothing about. We need to do our best to inform them about how things work and that this was such a freak accident. My heart goes out to everyone in the skydiving community. As a tandem instructor, I have obvious concerns. But more importantly.... my personal skydives will always be a bit safer. Please everyone, make sure you do gear checks! Never let a running plane cause you to "hurry up" or make anything less than a 100% effort to make each skydive as safe as we can. You never know when "murphy" is going to visit you, but we can make it harder for him. I dont know anything about the accident and I am NOT making assumptions either. I am just ASKING each of you personally to do your best to keep our sport as safe as you can.......UnsureUnimpressed

outofit  (Student)

Dec 30, 2002, 11:46 AM
Post #8 of 10 (1434 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PhreeZone] aftermath of hawaii double fatal [In reply to] Can't Post

i guess i just misinterpreted what the guy said, sorry! that is the problem with using these damn computers to communicate.

diverdriver  (D 19012)

Dec 30, 2002, 12:45 PM
Post #9 of 10 (1408 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:
i guess i just misinterpreted what the guy said, sorry! that is the problem with using these damn computers to communicate.

Yah......it requires you to use the English language, grammer, punctuation and stuff. Wink

Chris

DaMan  (D 26248)

Dec 30, 2002, 1:40 PM
Post #10 of 10 (1375 views)
Shortcut
Re: [diverdriver] aftermath of hawaii double fatal [In reply to] Can't Post

Maybe the PC needs an upgrade with the "type what I meant to say" optionTongue

Forums : Skydiving : General Skydiving Discussions

Search for (options)