Forums: Skydiving: Gear and Rigging:
Packing a PD210??

FallinWoman  (C 32269)

Aug 11, 2001, 7:30 PM
Post #1 of 8 (823 views)
Shortcut
Packing a PD210?? Can't Post

I am used to jumping a Skymaster 230 (Z-p/F-111)
I have been jumping the PD210 in transition to my own gear.

Is the PD more likely to open hard? Is there a difference in how the two should be packed??

I got SLAMMED today on opening. I could not have been more stable on deployment. I was just wondering if there is a drifference in how the two should be packed that I need to know about.

Thanks!

Blue skies and SOFT openings,
Anne

ColdDuck  (D 26483)

Aug 12, 2001, 6:51 PM
Post #2 of 8 (790 views)
Shortcut
Re: Packing a PD210?? [In reply to] Can't Post

How are you packing it?

Sometimes I'll roll the nose and stuff it in the center cell. And sometimes I'll just leave the nose as is.
Sure the rolled nose method provides a little more of a snivel. But I have never been slammed either way.

freeflir29  (D 10000000)

Aug 13, 2001, 5:15 PM
Post #3 of 8 (771 views)
Shortcut

I have a PD 190 and it has never slammed me. It always opens very softly and usually on heading. I flat pack so this may not mean much to you if you Pro Pack. I roll the nose over and roll the A lines up too. Then pack normal from there. I used to roll the nose all the way to the B lines until I damn near had to cut away once. Now I just roll a little less...LOL I am surprised to hear of a PD canopy opening hard. I have jumped 2 different 190's and both had wonderful openings.

"I used to know a girl...She had two pirced nipples and a black tattoo"-Everclear

Clay

wingnut  (D 27688)

Aug 23, 2001, 7:30 AM
Post #4 of 8 (737 views)
Shortcut

i use to jump a pd210 only. it never opened hard but i rolled the nose and tail. it did open hard once and ripped the topskin from tail to nose on one of the cells. if it didn't cost to much to fix i'd of got it repaired and still be jumping it. it's a great canopy.

<wingnut>
"if dreams are like movies, then memories are like films about ghosts"-counting crows

FallinWoman  (C 32269)

Aug 23, 2001, 5:46 PM
Post #5 of 8 (718 views)
Shortcut

People seem to say in general that the PDs open okay, and I should not be getiing slammed so much. Is it possible that it is the container that it is in?? It is packed into a Narro (??) I think that is what it is called. Could that be affecting the opening?? Or is it just a really tired old canopy?

Any thoughts?

VivaHeadDown  (D 28101)

Aug 27, 2001, 12:26 AM
Post #6 of 8 (695 views)
Shortcut

Check your stows, old F-111 fabric really shouldn't be able to slam much. I jumped a PD190 for a long time at just under a 1:1 ratio and it had the most boring, er, smoothest openings.

johnny1488  (D 25453)

Aug 27, 2001, 7:02 PM
Post #7 of 8 (675 views)
Shortcut

I am jumping a pd210 and Im getting slammed a lot too. Its some sort of west nile canopy slamming virus going around. Im rolling the left and right 4 cells 4 times and it still seems unusually hard. I jumped a spectre 210 of a friend of mine to compare and it opened super soft (took 1000' though) Ive been told that openings on relativly low # jumps on f111 canopies are "snappy" By the way how are your landings? Not slowing you down much after you level off?

Johnny

PalmettoTiger

Aug 27, 2001, 8:19 PM
Post #8 of 8 (670 views)
Shortcut

I've jumped a PD 230 for the last 4 jumps and packed it the last 2, so I don't have a huge experience base. However, I will offer these 2 tidbits that I see often:

1. The PD (insert size here) is a Sabre planform with F-111 material in ZP. (All of the opening characteristics, and 1/3 of the performance!! Wink) So follow the packing tips for a Sabre.

2. Make sure your slider is WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY out in front of the nose. Don't know exactly why, but it's worked every, er, both times I packed my 230.

Blues, squares,
PTiger

Forums : Skydiving : Gear and Rigging

Search for (options)