Forums: Skydiving: Safety and Training:
Anyone else have a problem with this?

airdvr  (D 10977)

Jul 20, 2008, 11:30 AM
Post #1 of 6 (1303 views)
Shortcut
Anyone else have a problem with this? Can't Post

http://www.dropzone.com/..._reply;so=ASC;mh=25;

Why all the secrecy? I'm concerned with the level of BS from some of the parties involved.

From the post...What has me upset is that when we found out about the incident and asked what had happened we were stonewalled by all parties at the dz including our pilot.

In fact the NTSB stated in a letter that "the certificate holders have not been informed" of the circumstances leading to the incident. Apparently the stonewalling was apparent to them as well.

Nobody wanted to step up and take the blame here. After about 2 dozen posts it becomes obvious the pilot got a little agressive after the exit and did $50K worth of damage. If it weren't for the muscles of the passenger we'd probably be reading about total destruction of the aircraft and it's occupants.

There's more doubletalk in this thread than any I've recently read. Example...As one of the aircraft owners, I think that you are right on point. I do not agree with Mark above and have less confidence in the DZO and pilot that our aircraft will be flown in a safe, proper manner at all times. I believe this incident was caused by poor jujdgement of everyone involved and there better not be another at the dz. The pilot could have easily lost the plane and 3 lives.

Then, from the same poster this The pilot, who works for us, is a capable pilot with an impeccible record who I feel has learned a very valuable lesson from this incident.

He goes on to say Although we do not know with 100% confidence what actually happened, we are confident we have determined what transpired and have an assurance that it will not happen again.

Either you know or you don't. Am I missing something here?

As jumpers we place alot of faith in not only the abilities of the PIC, but his judgement as well. Sometimes I wonder if we're getting our money's worth.

stratostar  (Student)

Jul 20, 2008, 12:02 PM
Post #2 of 6 (1255 views)
Shortcut
Re: [airdvr] Anyone else have a problem with this? [In reply to] Can't Post

Quote:
Why all the secrecy? I'm concerned with the level of BS from some of the parties involved.

It's standard skydiving industry CYA S.O.P. I don't know why your so surprised by this.

airdvr  (D 10977)

Jul 20, 2008, 3:07 PM
Post #3 of 6 (1183 views)
Shortcut
Re: [stratostar] Anyone else have a problem with this? [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
Quote:

It's standard skydiving industry CYA S.O.P. I don't know why your so surprised by this.

Sigh. Unsure

Premier billvon  (D 16479)
Jul 21, 2008, 8:18 AM
Post #4 of 6 (928 views)
Shortcut

>Why all the secrecy?

Because posters on that forum have learned that if you are not secretive, you get a lot of abuse.

Take the Baldwin thread. Yes, there was a lot of waffling - but in the end, we learned exactly what happened.

And what was the result? A poster in Safety and Training calls it BS. Lesson - next time even more secrecy is in order.

>As jumpers we place alot of faith in not only the abilities of the PIC, but
>his judgement as well. Sometimes I wonder if we're getting our money's
>worth.

In terms of the reports on Incidents, you get what you pay for - and more importantly, what your actions encourage.

In terms of the skill of the pilot on your aircraft, again, you get what you pay for. When skydivers flock to the dropzone with the cheapest jumps, you will often get the cheapest pilot/aircraft money can buy. If this worries you, it would behoove you to get to know the pilot so you can evaluate his skill/judgment yourself.

airtwardo  (D License)

Jul 21, 2008, 9:16 AM
Post #5 of 6 (902 views)
Shortcut
Re: [billvon] Anyone else have a problem with this? [In reply to] Can't Post

If this worries you, it would behoove you to get to know the pilot so you can evaluate his skill/judgment yourself.

In reply to:

I sit on the bench and think about that every time I get to Perris... Unimpressed

gemini  (D 24349)

Jul 21, 2008, 1:45 PM
Post #6 of 6 (820 views)
Shortcut

Scott:

I saw your post and wanted to say that (1) the pilot had no incidents prior to the one in question, (2) I was very angry when I saw the post from someone at the dz who implied that everything was over and it was all hugs and kisses between the owner's, dz, mechanics and pilot.

I know better than to post while angry, but the $$ losses and knowledge that we could have lost 3 of our friends made me a little to quick to respond.

I do mean it when I said that I thought the pilot had learned his lesson and will not repeat this or similar mistakes in the future. He is a natural pilot, is likable, and really wants to have a flying career.

My comment was to reassure the local jumpers who were concerned after my first post that the plane was again airworthy and the pilot was competent to continue.

Hope this helps.

PM me if you would like.

blues,

jim

Forums : Skydiving : Safety and Training

Search for (options)