Forums: Skydiving: Safety and Training:
Safety issue when you have not jumped in 4 years

afmom

Feb 18, 2008, 11:10 AM
Post #1 of 6 (1067 views)
Shortcut
Safety issue when you have not jumped in 4 years Can't Post

I have about 300 jumps, B license.
I am looking at getting back into the sport.
Can I just get re-cert on a jump, or do I need to go through AFF again?
I feel fine with going through one or two jumps with a JM, but really do not want to go through AFF again.
Thoughts???

labrys  (D 29848)

Feb 18, 2008, 11:16 AM
Post #2 of 6 (1055 views)
Shortcut
Re: [afmom] Safety issue when you have not jumped in 4 years [In reply to] Can't Post

If you're USPA, you won't have to go through AFF, you'll just have to do a recurrency jump (whatever your DZ thinks is best). We often have people with long layoffs take a small test to make sure they don't need some refresher training on procedures.

Premier NWFlyer  (D 29960)

Feb 18, 2008, 11:25 AM
Post #3 of 6 (1042 views)
Shortcut
Re: [afmom] Safety issue when you have not jumped in 4 years [In reply to] Can't Post

See here for a recent similar discussion - licensed jumper with an approx 4 year layoff...

http://www.dropzone.com/...rum.cgi?post=3126132

IanHarrop  (C 1152)

Feb 18, 2008, 12:06 PM
Post #4 of 6 (1009 views)
Shortcut

I was out for 16 years.

Get your gear checked out by a rigger, you want everything working for you like a good closing loop, and reserve repack then contact your local dz. The rigger I used was an old friend, and I spent a few bucks tuning up my old rig, but I bought new gear 25 jumps later.

The local dz wanted to make sure I was safe and at the same time was very accommodating to an old jumper.

Coming back to skydiving was the best thing I ever did!

in2jumping  (C License)

Feb 18, 2008, 1:03 PM
Post #5 of 6 (973 views)
Shortcut

I just came back after a 8 year layoff, here is what I did.

1)I jumped in the tunnel for 5 minutes.
2)Read through Safety Day check list 20 times Smile , and practiced all emergency procedures many many times.
http://www.uspa.org/safety/safetyday/SafetyDayChecklist2008.pdf
3)Went out to the DZ did an condensed accelerated first jump course 2 to 3 hour refresher.
4) Did a couple of clear and pulls on big student gear.
5) Bought new gear and did a 3 high hop and pops to learn my new canopy.

Here is the USPA's recommendations for recurrency training
http://www.uspa.org/PUblications/SIM/2007SIM/section5.htm#52

afmom

Feb 18, 2008, 2:24 PM
Post #6 of 6 (931 views)
Shortcut
Re: [in2jumping] Safety issue when you have not jumped in 4 years [In reply to] Can't Post

thanks, for the input.
My biggest thing holding me up is the cost of gear. i have most of my stuff, except my rig. I sold that a few years back when I thought I would never get back into the sport.

Forums : Skydiving : Safety and Training

Search for (options)