Forums: Dropzone.com: Suggestions and Feedback:
Wind Tunnel Locator on DZ.com?

Andy9o8  (D License)

Nov 27, 2007, 3:48 PM
Post #1 of 9 (1422 views)
Shortcut
Wind Tunnel Locator on DZ.com? Quote | Reply

HH- I mistakenly posted this in Wind Tunnels when I'd meant to post it here. Since it didn't get moved, I'd appreciate it if you'd let me cross-post the suggestion here. Thanks.

http://www.dropzone.com/...post=3025178#3025178

Quote:
It would be great to have a wind tunnel locator on DZ.com like its current DZ locator. The best things about it would be:

- centralized location just like the DZ locator - no cumbersome Google searches with iffy results.
- it would be more up-to date, so recently-opened tunnels wouldn't be skipped.
- it would only list operational tunnels (or ones truly under active construction), eliminating all the hyped-up "phantom" tunnels that exist only in investors' press releases.
- it would be more or less "neutral" - it would not be a site run by anyone with a commercial agenda, so it wouldn't be biased toward listing only "allies" or omitting "competitors".

(There are a couple of so-called "directory" sites - one popular one in particular - that seem to have some glaring "gaps", i.e., some tunnels that exist are omitted. This would go a long way toward curing that.)

Andy9o8  (D License)

Nov 30, 2007, 4:32 AM
Post #2 of 9 (1394 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Andy9o8] Wind Tunnel Locator on DZ.com? [In reply to] Quote | Reply

For whatever it's worth, there's a discussion in the thread linked above about whether the need I've suggested for a broad, searchable DZ locator database is or is not yet filled on DZ.com. I think it is not. But in the interest of fair reporting, I'm mentioning it here.

simpsora  (C 33982)

Dec 1, 2007, 10:31 PM
Post #3 of 9 (1362 views)
Shortcut

Hi Andy,

I did some of the work on the current DZ locator.
I'm interested in understanding the things you think the locator is missing -- the needs it doesn't fulfill.

I can't speak for Sangiro on whether or not they'd be implemented, but I would like to know.

Thanks,
Ross

Andy9o8  (D License)

Dec 2, 2007, 6:58 AM
Post #4 of 9 (1352 views)
Shortcut
Re: [simpsora] Wind Tunnel Locator on DZ.com? [In reply to] Quote | Reply

In reply to:
Hi Andy,

I did some of the work on the current DZ locator.
I'm interested in understanding the things you think the locator is missing -- the needs it doesn't fulfill.

I can't speak for Sangiro on whether or not they'd be implemented, but I would like to know.
Thanks,
Ross

Just to make clear, I'm talking about creating a new Tunnel Locator on DZ.com, not critiqueing the current DZ locator.

The current DZ locator on DZ.com is great. It is an actual comprehensive database, not just a list of a few tunnel links that DZ.com currently has.

For example, one thing I think is a really good feature that DZ.com's DZ locator has is the search function HERE that lets people plug in a certain central location and then find all DZ's in the database located within "X" miles of that location. I used it a couple years ago when I got recurrent, and I still use it whenever I want to find DZ's in other states to which I travel. If people searching for a tunnel could do the same thing, I'm sure they'd find it very helpful.

BIGUN  (D 23385)

Dec 2, 2007, 8:01 AM
Post #5 of 9 (1344 views)
Shortcut

This help?
Course, the onus is on the DZO/M to ensure it's included in the DZ profile.

(This post was edited by BIGUN on Dec 2, 2007, 8:05 AM)
Attachments: Search dropzones for tunnel.JPG (31.0 KB)
  Tunnel Query Results.JPG (47.5 KB)

Premier NWFlyer  (D 29960)

Dec 2, 2007, 8:52 AM
Post #6 of 9 (1336 views)
Shortcut
Re: [BIGUN] Wind Tunnel Locator on DZ.com? [In reply to] Quote | Reply

Yes, but now there are quite a few tunnels that are not co-located with a dropzone. Also doesn't appear to be accurate either, as there's no tunnel at a couple of those for sure.

(This post was edited by NWFlyer on Dec 2, 2007, 8:55 AM)

Premier Remster  (C License)

Dec 2, 2007, 10:45 AM
Post #7 of 9 (1325 views)
Shortcut
Re: [NWFlyer] Wind Tunnel Locator on DZ.com? [In reply to] Quote | Reply

And the result missed at least one dz with a tunnel.

Premier PhreeZone  (D License)
Dec 2, 2007, 1:09 PM
Post #8 of 9 (1320 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Remster] Wind Tunnel Locator on DZ.com? [In reply to] Quote | Reply

Issue is that that DZ did not enter the word "tunnel" in their DZ entry so it would not return as a result.

BIGUN  (D 23385)

Dec 2, 2007, 4:46 PM
Post #9 of 9 (1312 views)
Shortcut
Re: [NWFlyer] Wind Tunnel Locator on DZ.com? [In reply to] Quote | Reply

True... But one example is http://www.dropzone.com/.../Detailed/1354.shtml where Aicraft = Wind Tunnel. So all they have to do is login, create a DZ account and do the same. There is one that says "Wind Tunnel coming soon." I think the key is going to be marketing this site's service to those stand-alone wind tunnels that they have a marketing/sales opportunity here.

(This post was edited by BIGUN on Dec 2, 2007, 4:47 PM)

Forums : Dropzone.com : Suggestions and Feedback

Search for (options)