Forums: Skydiving: Instructors:
Coach

210_zoom  (D 30333)

Nov 26, 2007, 2:53 PM
Post #1 of 11 (2216 views)
Shortcut
Coach Can't Post

I am curious to what anyone has opinions on as improving your skills to become a coach and a future AFFI. I have 76 jumps to date and am wondering what would be good skills to improve and work on. Thanks for your time and comments

livendive  (D 21415)

Nov 26, 2007, 3:14 PM
Post #2 of 11 (2192 views)
Shortcut
Re: [210_zoom] Coach [In reply to] Can't Post

In no particular order, relative work, no contact slot flying, teaching skills, listening skills, general awareness & observation skills,.

Blues,
Dave

HUSHPUPPY  (D 29008)

Nov 26, 2007, 3:31 PM
Post #3 of 11 (2179 views)
Shortcut
Re: [livendive] Coach [In reply to] Can't Post

add also patience and objectivity!

monkycndo  (D License)

Nov 26, 2007, 3:44 PM
Post #4 of 11 (2168 views)
Shortcut
Re: [livendive] Coach [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
In no particular order, relative work, no contact slot flying, teaching skills, listening skills, general awareness & observation skills,.

Blues,
Dave

What Dave said plus being able to remember what you saw during the jump and relating it in a constructive way to help the student improve. I found the prejump instruction and post jump debrief are the hardest things to master. Just takes practice. I've been lucky to have good instructors to emulate. The coach rating is like any other, a license to continue learning.

Andrewwhyte  (C 1988)

Nov 26, 2007, 9:37 PM
Post #5 of 11 (2061 views)
Shortcut

Just work on being a better skydiver at this point. The biggest challenge for most new coaches and instructors is to be able to devote enough of their attention to the student/novice while they are themselves skydiving.

210_zoom  (D 30333)

Nov 27, 2007, 6:13 AM
Post #6 of 11 (1997 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Andrewwhyte] Coach [In reply to] Can't Post

U would like to thank everyones comments. I appreciate the time u took to provide your input.

UDSkyJunkie  (D 25746)

Nov 27, 2007, 7:08 AM
Post #7 of 11 (1980 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:
I have 76 jumps to date and am wondering what would be good skills to improve and work on.

Everything!Wink

More seriously, what helped me more than anything else in getting my AFFI rating was doing a lot of 4-way. NOTHING else teaches you flying skills as quickly/efficiently. I understand that joining a team isn't everyone's cup of tea, but above-average RW skills are essential to being a good coach/AFFI, and if you want to be one you need to focus on RW. Freefly, wingsuit and all that other stuff is cool and fun, but not very helpful when you've got a student spinning on their back. If you've got some RW competitors at your DZ talk to them about the "mantis" flying style and start working on it now, while your muscle memory is still forming... everything about it is 1000% better than the way most people fly, but you'll rarely see a non-4-way guy using it.

Other than that, I'd say try to pay attention to the instructors/coaches/organizers around you... make a note of who does a great job and who does a not-so-great job and why, and make mental notes to emulate the behavior of the good ones. Good teaching skills are as important as good flying skills.

Fast  (D 28237)

Nov 27, 2007, 10:49 AM
Post #8 of 11 (1930 views)
Shortcut
Re: [UDSkyJunkie] Coach [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
I have 76 jumps to date and am wondering what would be good skills to improve and work on.

Everything!Wink

More seriously, what helped me more than anything else in getting my AFFI rating was doing a lot of 4-way. NOTHING else teaches you flying skills as quickly/efficiently. I understand that joining a team isn't everyone's cup of tea, but above-average RW skills are essential to being a good coach/AFFI, and if you want to be one you need to focus on RW. Freefly, wingsuit and all that other stuff is cool and fun, but not very helpful when you've got a student spinning on their back. If you've got some RW competitors at your DZ talk to them about the "mantis" flying style and start working on it now, while your muscle memory is still forming... everything about it is 1000% better than the way most people fly, but you'll rarely see a non-4-way guy using it.

Other than that, I'd say try to pay attention to the instructors/coaches/organizers around you... make a note of who does a great job and who does a not-so-great job and why, and make mental notes to emulate the behavior of the good ones. Good teaching skills are as important as good flying skills.

I feel that almost all of my in-air belly skills are based on doing 4-way. Made significant improvements in everything I did. SmileSmile

riddler  (D 10234)

Dec 2, 2007, 4:05 PM
Post #9 of 11 (1729 views)
Shortcut

Tunnel. Tunnel. More Tunnel. Tell your tunnel instructor what you're trying to do, and they will help you.

Belly flying skills, and talking skills. Sit in on as many AFF ground schools as you can - offer to help teach parts (under supervision).

zuluguy  (D 28876)

Dec 8, 2007, 9:43 AM
Post #10 of 11 (1546 views)
Shortcut

great advise from everyone, besides, I sat in some FJC at my DZ which helped me a lot

airathanas  (D 29277)

Dec 14, 2007, 10:19 AM
Post #11 of 11 (1458 views)
Shortcut
Re: [zuluguy] Coach [In reply to] Can't Post

I agree - 4 way really teaches you to be a disciplined flyer.

They biggest problem that most people have doing RW in groups is levels and fall rate. People who say, "I fall fast" haven't learned to control their fall rate yet.

Oh yeah- tunnel with coaching.

That is all.

Forums : Skydiving : Instructors

Search for (options)