Forums: Skydiving: Skydiving History & Trivia:
UT-15 Packing?

winsor  (D 13715)

Nov 1, 2007, 5:17 PM
Post #1 of 9 (987 views)
Shortcut
UT-15 Packing? Can't Post

I picked up a complete UT-15 setup on a trip through former Iron Curtain lands, and can not quite figure out how to pack the damned thing.

DeWolf said they used to remove the canopies from the commie rigs and put them in US containers, so he didn't know how the Bolsheviks did it.

The thing has a nylon sleeve, but does not have the usual flap closure with locking stows. Instead, it has a kind of elastic sphincter.

There are no obvious line stows, except for a couple of elastic stows that go through grommets on flaps that cover the back of the container. These flaps are attached to the left, right and bottom of the container, and split up the middle. I could see it as some variant of the tail-pocket for free-stowed lines. Near as I can tell, the lines are to be s-folded against the back of the container and held in place by the flaps, which are secured by the locking stows.

It would then seem that somehow the sleeved canopy gets enough momentum going for it when coming off the pack tray to undo the locking stows without pulling the sleeve off the canopy - a neat trick, if that's how it works. Somehow, at full line extension the sleeve's sphincter clears the canopy, which then inflates.

Since I have never seen one packed by someone who knows what they are doing, I am not all that confident that my guesses are spot on. I only have a 24" bellywart out here so I'm a bit leery about testing my hypothesis; I might be willing to try it if I had brought the 28'.

I have my share of American ParaCommanders around, and the links are solid, so I can't see taking apart the Soviet rig and putting the canopy in something I understand better (yet, at least). It also has some kind of nifty touches, like twin pilot chutes standard, so I think it would be cool to make a jump or two in its original configuration. I gather it worked pretty well.

In any event, if there is someone out there who can clue me in to the proper way to pack the thing, I would greatly appreciate it.

Blue skies,

Winsor

airtwardo  (D License)

Nov 1, 2007, 5:28 PM
Post #2 of 9 (971 views)
Shortcut
Re: [winsor] UT-15 Packing? [In reply to] Can't Post

http://www.skydivingmovies.com/...358&string=UT-15 Being base jumped

http://www.skydivingmovies.com/...418&string=UT-15Deployed in a wind tunnel

Just thought you might get a chuckle Wink

howardwhite  (C 3896)

Nov 1, 2007, 6:13 PM
Post #3 of 9 (963 views)
Shortcut

Good news and bad news.
SmileI have a UT15 Manual, complete with packing instructions, yours for the price of copying 73 pages.
CrazyIt's in Russian. I could translate it, but that would cost you a lot more.
Diagram of the stows attached.

HW
Attachments: UT15.jpg (73.0 KB)

councilman24  (D 8631)

Nov 1, 2007, 10:22 PM
Post #4 of 9 (930 views)
Shortcut
Re: [howardwhite] UT-15 Packing? [In reply to] Can't Post

Winsor,

Does your's really have stows under the elastic sphincter like the diagram? I'm very disappointed you didn't find them.Wink

This is exactly the system Ted Strong used on the free sleeve for the Aerosport canopy he sold for awhile. Except he left off the elastic. I used to service two of them until the guy sold his T-6. The EASIEST Pop Tops I ever packed. All the lines WERE on the canopy.

Hmmm, I need to see if those are still around and for sale. I have another customer that could use them and I sure liked packing them.

Of COURSE Howard has a manual.Crazy

howardwhite  (C 3896)

Nov 2, 2007, 6:45 AM
Post #5 of 9 (901 views)
Shortcut
Re: [councilman24] UT-15 Packing? [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
Of COURSE Howard has a manual.Crazy
Dan Poynter gave it to me because he knew I could (more or less) read Russian. It has his name on it, but I don't think he wanted it back.Angelic
The stowing system at the top of the canopy is also interesting. And, common for the time, it has two pilot chutes.

HW
Attachments: UT15 1.jpg (75.8 KB)

winsor  (D 13715)

Nov 2, 2007, 7:11 AM
Post #6 of 9 (894 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:
Good news and bad news.
SmileI have a UT15 Manual, complete with packing instructions, yours for the price of copying 73 pages.
CrazyIt's in Russian. I could translate it, but that would cost you a lot more.
Diagram of the stows attached.

HW

Thanks for the picture. Once I saw it, it took me all of 32 seconds to locate the stows and flap at the base of the sleeve.

I had picked the rig up one evening after work in Serbia, and we did a fast pack job. The guy from whom I got it had never jumped one, and he was the one who pulled the sleeve over the canopy. The part with the stows had folded back on itself, and was thus not apparent.

I asked if the elastic was all that kept the sleeve on the canopy, he said that he guessed so. Given the peculiarities of Russian rigging (mechanically delayed deployment for military jumps and so forth), it seemed almost plausible.

Needless to say, I haven't played with it since or I would likely have stumbled across the flap & stows.

The one thing that still puzzles me is the purpose of the flaps and stows in the pack tray. It is obviously intentional, but my guess as to what purpose it might serve is surely wrong.

In any event, with the discovery of the stows and retaining flap I expect I will set it up to jump shortly. It's in great shape, and looks to be fun.

FWIW, Russian is fine. I can read Cyrillic, and translating is no great chore.

Blue skies,

Winsor

howardwhite  (C 3896)

Nov 2, 2007, 9:14 AM
Post #7 of 9 (878 views)
Shortcut

Well, if you feel you must jump this thing, here are a couple of other notes loosely translated from the manual:
It is recommended that on opening, the parachutist be in a "diving (swooping) position, head down at a 45 degree angle to the horizon, with minimal inclination left or right. It is categorically forbidden for the parachutist to turn his head (up) at the moment of inflation, in order to prevent trauma." (See UT15 2)
UT15 3 shows how the reserve is attached to the harness.
"In the event of a (malfunction), use the reserve parachute only after completely detaching the main canopy." See UT15 4-6 for how one might do this.
These things are emphasized in a couple of notes, in Poynter's handwriting, in the manual; I don't remember whether it was I who provided the original translation to him

HW

(This post was edited by howardwhite on Nov 2, 2007, 10:01 AM)
Attachments: UT15 2.jpg (59.7 KB)
  UT15 3.jpg (82.2 KB)
  UT15 4.jpg (83.2 KB)
  UT15 5.jpg (70.4 KB)
  UT15 6.jpg (69.7 KB)

Premier likestojump  (D License)

Nov 2, 2007, 10:11 PM
Post #8 of 9 (840 views)
Shortcut

UT15-2 says "decent under inflated canopy"
UT15-3 says "attaching reserve canopy"

howardwhite  (C 3896)

Nov 3, 2007, 4:08 AM
Post #9 of 9 (827 views)
Shortcut
Re: [likestojump] UT-15 Packing? [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
UT15-2 says "decent under inflated canopy"
Or, maybe, "descent" under inflated canopy.Tongue No suggestion of indecency here.
HW

Forums : Skydiving : Skydiving History & Trivia

Search for (options)