Sep 14, 2007, 2:51 PM
Post #1 of 17 (8052 views)
Shortcut
Fatality - Alberta Skydivers Ltd -14 September 2007 Can't Post

http://www.canada.com/...bc5f5623&k=75050

Skydiver dies near Beiseker

Sarah Chapman, Calgary Herald
Published: 2:52 pm

A British soldier died today while skydiving near Beiseker, northeast of Calgary.

STARS air ambulance flew out to the scene at Alberta Skydivers Ltd. just before noon today, but did not transport any patients. It appears the man landed in a wheat field.

RCMP reported the victim is a member of the British military, but said the activity was recreational in nature. The name of the victim was not released.

An autopsy is planned for Monday.

A man attends to a victim of a 2001 incident at the facility.

"There's been a lot going on behind closed doors but no on is saying anything," said John, who asked that his last name not be published. "We were meant to skydive today but it was cancelled."

RCMP are investigating. In June, a 20-year-old man was injured during a parachute jump at Alberta Skydivers as a result of a hard landing.

Friday's death is the sixth at the same skydiving site since 1989.

The drop zone at Beiseker airport was formerly known as the Skydive Ranch. However, Ian Flanagan bought the drop zone at the end of 2004 and renamed it

(This post was edited by Tonto on Sep 17, 2007, 11:35 PM)

RMURRAY

Sep 15, 2007, 7:55 AM
Post #2 of 17 (7337 views)
Shortcut
Re: [JeepDiver] Fatality - Alberta Skydivers Ltd - 9-14-2007 [In reply to] Can't Post

looks like made the national news on cbc...Unsure

http://www.cbc.ca/clips/mov/nathoo-skydive070914.mov

efs4ever  (D 7014)

Sep 15, 2007, 6:18 PM
Post #3 of 17 (7065 views)
Shortcut
Re: [RMURRAY] Fatality - Alberta Skydivers Ltd - 9-14-2007 [In reply to] Can't Post

CLICKY

Premier cpoxon  (D 11665)
Sep 16, 2007, 3:15 AM
Post #4 of 17 (6885 views)
Shortcut
Re: [JeepDiver] Fatality - Alberta Skydivers Ltd - 9-14-2007 [In reply to] Can't Post

Hmm, the [url=http://www.skydivingfatalities.info/search.asp?Name=McMaster&Personal=on]second British soldier to die at this dropzone. I've been meaning to update the details on Stuart's fatality since I've been in contact with his father who disputes the conclusions of the investigation.

lippy  (D 30348)

Sep 16, 2007, 9:47 AM
Post #5 of 17 (6704 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cpoxon] Fatality - Alberta Skydivers Ltd - 9-14-2007 [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
Hmm, the [url=http://www.skydivingfatalities.info/search.asp?Name=McMaster&Personal=on]second British soldier to die at this dropzone. I've been meaning to update the details on Stuart's fatality since I've been in contact with his father who disputes the conclusions of the investigation.
This is the second Brittish soldier to die at Beiseker, but the first to die at this dropzone. The first death was at the Skydive Ranch, not Alberta Skydivers.

The place seems a whole lot different now than it did when it was the Ranch, and now uses only CSPA certified instructors as well as different gear. I have no idea how relevent this is to the incident, but it's too bad that all the stigma that was associated with the old DZ is going to transfer over to the new place. This is not the same DZ as it was in 2002.

Sep 16, 2007, 11:20 AM
Post #6 of 17 (6654 views)
Shortcut
Re: [lippy] Fatality - Alberta Skydivers Ltd - 9-14-2007 [In reply to] Can't Post

I wasn't aware of that. Thanks for setting the record straight.

skypuppy  (D 347)

Sep 16, 2007, 4:38 PM
Post #7 of 17 (6470 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cpoxon] Fatality - Alberta Skydivers Ltd - 9-14-2007 [In reply to] Can't Post

From the CSPA chatlist
the first paragraph was someone;s question, the rest in another's response
Many in the CSPA community have, in the past, accused and condemned the operators of the DZ at Beiseker of running a 'death factory', with 'flagrant disregard' for student safety. It will be interesting to observe how openly and fairly these 2 fatalities within a month are reported on and discussed within the skydiving community, and by those who own and run these facilities...
True but the fact that you leave out is that the old 'death factory' was not part of a national organization that had rules, regulations and a standard to teach and progress people. The CAPS experiment bothered me quite a bit. Go to the WWW and download the "exam" and as long as you did your 25 multiple choice questions and paid your $$$, you progressed from A-D alone in the comfort of your basement. I also like the thing where out of no where, someone was tapped on the shoulder and volia.....you are now an Instructor.

It is unfair to compare apples to oranges in that way. I've never met Ian Flanigan but have talked to him a few times on the phone and have read what he has tried to do in the past at the CSPA AGM. From what I see it is a complete turn around in they way that Ian wanted more regulation. That is a far cry from the past owners way of doing things.

I know everyone wants to know the facts now but it is tough to wait it out and see. The news report says it was as a result of a "hard landing" not a parachute failure. News reporters seldomly get it right but in the next week or two, things will get out as to what happened.

Goober you sound so educated and aware about C.A.P.S. referring to the association as an experiment that bothered you quite abit...

http://www.caps-skydiving.com/index.html

-C.A.P.S. is an approved organization representing Canadian Skydivers.
-C.A.P.S. is officially recognized by Transport Canada. The TC AIM (AIR 4.8 Parachute Jumping) includes the Canadian Associates of Professional Skydivers as an association representing parachuting activities in Canada.
-C.A.P.S. has been and continues to be active in dealing with government on behalf of its members. -C.A.P.S. attended 2007 Parachute Industry Association receiving advanced training and information on all the new technologies, training courses and advancements made in the Skydiving Industry.
-C.A.P.S. completed Recurrency AAF & Basic Program jump Courses in Hawaii /winter/(annual event)
-there was AFF, Tandem & Basic Jump Recurrency programs held Easter long weekend at the Abbotsford Skydive Centre B.C.
-approved manuals: C.A.P.S. Skydive Procedures Guide -C.A.P.S. Instructor Training Guide describing training programs listing the requirements for licenses, instructor ratings and endorsements.
-My C.A.P.S. "D" license was not acquired through sitting alone in my basement.

efs4ever  (D 7014)

Sep 16, 2007, 8:10 PM
Post #8 of 17 (6311 views)
Shortcut
Re: [skypuppy] Fatality - Alberta Skydivers Ltd - 9-14-2007 [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
From the CSPA chatlist
the first paragraph was someone;s question, the rest in another's response
Many in the CSPA community have, in the past, accused and condemned the operators of the DZ at Beiseker of running a 'death factory', with 'flagrant disregard' for student safety. It will be interesting to observe how openly and fairly these 2 fatalities within a month are reported on and discussed within the skydiving community, and by those who own and run these facilities...
True but the fact that you leave out is that the old 'death factory' was not part of a national organization that had rules, regulations and a standard to teach and progress people. The CAPS experiment bothered me quite a bit. Go to the WWW and download the "exam" and as long as you did your 25 multiple choice questions and paid your $$$, you progressed from A-D alone in the comfort of your basement. I also like the thing where out of no where, someone was tapped on the shoulder and volia.....you are now an Instructor.

It is unfair to compare apples to oranges in that way. I've never met Ian Flanigan but have talked to him a few times on the phone and have read what he has tried to do in the past at the CSPA AGM. From what I see it is a complete turn around in they way that Ian wanted more regulation. That is a far cry from the past owners way of doing things.

I know everyone wants to know the facts now but it is tough to wait it out and see. The news report says it was as a result of a "hard landing" not a parachute failure. News reporters seldomly get it right but in the next week or two, things will get out as to what happened.

Goober you sound so educated and aware about C.A.P.S. referring to the association as an experiment that bothered you quite abit...

http://www.caps-skydiving.com/index.html

-C.A.P.S. is an approved organization representing Canadian Skydivers.
-C.A.P.S. is officially recognized by Transport Canada. The TC AIM (AIR 4.8 Parachute Jumping) includes the Canadian Associates of Professional Skydivers as an association representing parachuting activities in Canada.
-C.A.P.S. has been and continues to be active in dealing with government on behalf of its members. -C.A.P.S. attended 2007 Parachute Industry Association receiving advanced training and information on all the new technologies, training courses and advancements made in the Skydiving Industry.
-C.A.P.S. completed Recurrency AAF & Basic Program jump Courses in Hawaii /winter/(annual event)
-there was AFF, Tandem & Basic Jump Recurrency programs held Easter long weekend at the Abbotsford Skydive Centre B.C.
-approved manuals: C.A.P.S. Skydive Procedures Guide -C.A.P.S. Instructor Training Guide describing training programs listing the requirements for licenses, instructor ratings and endorsements.
-My C.A.P.S. "D" license was not acquired through sitting alone in my basement.

Uh, can anyone fill us in on what happened?

yellowgt  (Student)

Sep 16, 2007, 8:28 PM
Post #9 of 17 (6299 views)
Shortcut
Re: [efs4ever] Fatality - Alberta Skydivers Ltd - 9-14-2007 [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:

Uh, can anyone fill us in on what happened?

Im sure more details will come out during the next week. Ive heard a few different things, but I am not going to make comments that I cant back up

Sep 17, 2007, 6:49 AM
Post #10 of 17 (6018 views)
Shortcut

The deceased has been identified. From the information, it sounds like a low cutaway. BSBD.

From http://www.midlothianadvertiser.co.uk/...-accident.3207096.jp

Quote:
An Aberdeenshire soldier has died in a skydiving accident after his parachute spiralled out of control while training in Canada.
Private Kevin Mitchell, from Hatton, is thought to have got into difficulties during a 3,000ft jump.

The 23-year-old was taking part in a five-day adventure training course near Calgary when the accident happened.

An investigation is now under way by Canadian authorities.

Pte Mitchell had just finished 28 days' military training in Canada with The Highlanders, 4th Battalion the Royal Regiment of Scotland.

Mr Mitchell's father, Billy, said: "We have been told that his main parachute spiralled. He realised it but his second one (parachute) did not have time to open."

A medical team was sent by helicopter to the scene at Alberta Skydivers Ltd where Pte Mitchell was pronounced dead at the scene.

A Ministry of Defence spokeswoman said: "Our thoughts are with the soldier's family and friends at what must be a difficult time."

She added that "every effort" was taken to ensure all Army training was conducted as safely as possible.

Pte Mitchell was one of around 400 Highlanders who had taken part in the military training at the British Army Training Unit in Suffield, near Calgary.

UPS  (B 5624)

Sep 18, 2007, 7:23 AM
Post #11 of 17 (5430 views)
Shortcut

We were talking about this at the dropzone last night while taking a few beers. Seems like student started a right turn and never stoped it, at approximatly 100ft thought something was wrong with his canopy and cutaway, reserve didn't have time to open.

Sep 20, 2007, 4:42 AM
Post #12 of 17 (4856 views)
Shortcut
Re: [JeepDiver] Fatality - Alberta Skydivers Ltd -14 September 2007 [In reply to] Can't Post

From http://www.630ched.com/...mp;gm=news_local.cfm

Quote:
Skydiving facility cleared in death of soldier
Sep, 20 2007 - 4:50 AM

ALBERTA/630 CHED - Mounties have cleared a skydiving facility in the death of a 23-year-old British soldier.

Sergeant Patrick Webb says initial findings indicate Alberta Skydivers wasn't at fault during last Friday's fatal training exercise at the facility 40 kilometres northeast of Calgary. Twenty-three-year-old Kevin Mitchell, a highlander with the 4th Battalion Royal Regiment of Scotland who was stationed at C-F-B Suffield, plunged 30 metres to his death during a training exercise.

An independent investigation by the British military also has cleared the skydiving facility of fault. The British military has staged skydiving exercises at the centre since 2000, with last Friday's incident the second death of a soldier at the site.

Stuart James McMaster, a ranger of the 1st Royal Irish Regiment, suffered a fatal fall there in 2002 when the facility, then known as Skydive Ranch, was operated by a previous ownership group. (cp, jk)

JeepDiver  (D License)

Sep 29, 2007, 5:26 AM
Post #13 of 17 (4207 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cpoxon] Fatality - Alberta Skydivers Ltd -14 September 2007 [In reply to] Can't Post

Quote:
Funeral held for skydive soldier

Pte Kevin Mitchell had a military funeral in Ellon
Hundreds of people have attended the funeral of an Aberdeenshire soldier who died in a skydiving accident in Canada.
Kevin Mitchell, 23, from Hatton, was on a training exercise near Calgary with The Highlanders when the accident happened earlier this month.

It is understood his main parachute spiralled and there was not enough time for his back-up to open properly. The Canadian authorities are investigating.

Pte Mitchell's military funeral was at Ellon Parish Church.

'Adventurous spirit'

Army chaplain Padre Louis Kinsley said: "Kevin Mitchell's untimely and tragic death robbed his family and many friends of a well-liked young man, full of life, and a young man who lived to extract the best from every day.

"An adventurous spirit, always the life and soul of the party, Kevin never held back from getting involved in anything that was exciting and challenging.

"Kevin loved anything that was adventurous, any sort of extreme sport, and so he chose to parachute, losing his life in a tragic accident that leaves us all shocked and grieving."

Dreading jump

His parents had earlier said he was dreading making the jump.

Billy and Jane Mitchell said Pte Mitchell, the oldest of three sons, told them his fears the day before he died.

He had already survived a tour of Iraq and his family said he loved the Army.

A spokesman for the Ministry of Defence (MoD) said every effort was taken to ensure that all Army training was conducted as safely as possible.

sheldond  (C 3151)

Sep 30, 2007, 6:29 AM
Post #14 of 17 (4078 views)
Shortcut
Re: [JeepDiver] Fatality - Alberta Skydivers Ltd -14 September 2007 [In reply to] Can't Post

Hey All,

In regards to this fatality, and all the other fatalities in Canada, and the threat with the Canadian Gov't to Federally Regulate the sport (due to the parents of the deceased pushing for fed. regulations), I would strongly urge everyone to write letters to your MP's in regards to this.

The News Media has glorified all of the fatalities and very publicly report them, but they never do report the "Real" or "True" reason as to why it happened.

They always infer that a parachute didn't open and he hit the ground with no parachute. We all know that most fatalities happen under a fully inflated Main and is usually the result of a bad landing. Or in this case student error.

The news media also never reports when the true results are found. I saw a posting of 1 news outlet saying that the Skydive Facility was cleared of any fault, but that was it. So as far as everyone else in the world that didn't get that news, they still think otherwise.

They do read special letters of interest in the House of Commons. So, if they get enough letters, one of them could be read giving them the right information they need to consider whether or not to persue Fed. Regulations.

If we do not do anything in this area, then soon a stupid Bean Counter in Ottawa who doesn't even know what a plane or a parachute is, is going to be telling us how to skydive, how to train students and dictate which University Degrees we need in order to be Coaches and Instructors. *** Ok, maybe not quite that far, but what if? ***

The point is, in regards to this death, No amount of Fed. Regs. would have prevented it. It was student error. But the Fed. Reg.s won't apply to stupid students, just the skydiving community that follows the rules.

SD

KennC  (B 30407)

Oct 23, 2007, 10:21 AM
Post #15 of 17 (3596 views)
Shortcut
Re: [sheldond] Fatality - Alberta Skydivers Ltd -14 September 2007 [In reply to] Can't Post

I jump at Beiseker and only arrived the following morning, .. based on what I was told, .. the chap went through the 1st jump course and all went well until he was under (student) canopy, he went into a spiral turn using only one steering line (the other was still stowed) until he was very low, then cut away .. the reserve never had a chance to inflate. His radio was working fine but never responded to the landing instructor.

It had everyone pretty dumbfounded and upset, mind you 2 of the base commanders went for a tandem skydive that following morning and the rest of the chaps continued on to their first freefall jump.

btw, .. I'm hoping to make my way over to Moose Jaw next season, I see you guys have a newly paved runway.

Ether

Oct 29, 2007, 3:00 PM
Post #16 of 17 (3242 views)
Shortcut
Re: [KennC] Fatality - Alberta Skydivers Ltd -14 September 2007 [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
...all went well until he was under (student) canopy, he went into a spiral turn using only one steering line (the other was still stowed) until he was very low, then cut away...

This sounds very similar to a recent fatality that happened at my DZ (also to a student). Without commenting on the specifics of either of these incidents, I am wondering if it is possible to lose control if one toggle is released and the other is left stowed. Could this result in such a rapid spiral that it is difficult or impossible to either reach the stowed toggle or if that line is being pulled so taut that it requires a high amount of force to release it from its housing? Is canopy size or wingloading a factor?

Obviously with my level of experience this is not something I am going to try for myself. I have always released the toggles together (after being sure that both hands have a firm grip), so I don't know if the pull force would be different if they are pulled slightly asymmetrically.

Apologies if this post would be better in another forum.

(This post was edited by Ether on Oct 29, 2007, 3:01 PM)

Andrewwhyte  (C 1988)

Oct 29, 2007, 4:26 PM
Post #17 of 17 (3207 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Ether] Fatality - Alberta Skydivers Ltd -14 September 2007 [In reply to] Can't Post

This is the appropriate forum for such a question. Talking it over with one of the instructors is also good.
The short answer is no, a released toggle will not create forces that would cause a problem with releasing the other one for any parachute loading you are likely to experience unless you become a canopy test pilot.
More to the point is that you were taught question number 2,.."Is it flying straight?" If it is not you need to cut it away. As you get more experienced, as you now are, you may try to fix the problem (by releasing the other toggle) BUT if you cannot immediately fix it you should cut away.
Talk to Steve or Rob about this; it is important that you are clear on your decision process for these situations.

Forums : Skydiving : Incidents

Search for (options)