Forums: Skydiving: Gear and Rigging:
Downsizing advice 190 170

2ndgensteinke  (F License)

Aug 30, 2007, 1:10 AM
Post #1 of 8 (965 views)
Shortcut
Downsizing advice 190 170 Can't Post

just trying to get some advice here, I have a Sbare 2 190 with about 70 jumps on this canopy, 1.05:1. Looking at downsizing to a sabre 2 170 1.1:1 not a real big change, I have maybe 85 jumps. told the guys at the dropzone but didn't get much response, Havn't burned in on my 190 at all since i have had it, and have also had some low turns that scared me earlier on but my feet never touched the ground hard.
Blues

jcecil

Aug 30, 2007, 1:18 AM
Post #2 of 8 (961 views)
Shortcut
Re: [2ndgensteinke] Downsizing advice 190 170 [In reply to] Can't Post

If you can land the canopy crosswind, mild downwind, into the wind, can make a turn during your flare, and still stand up the landing consistently and accurately where you decided to land before you even got on the airplane, then downsizing to the next smallest size shouldn't be a problem. If nothing else make your first couple of jumps on a day with a nice 5 to 10 mph steady wind to slow the landing down.

Why be in a hurry though? There are plenty of things you can do with your current canopy to speed the landings up, if that's what you are looking for.

popsjumper  (D 999999999)

Aug 30, 2007, 6:10 AM
Post #3 of 8 (898 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jcecil] Downsizing advice 190 170 [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
If you can land the canopy crosswind, mild downwind, into the wind, can make a turn during your flare, and still stand up the landing consistently and accurately ....
My man! How refreshing it is to hear someone allude to that! That skill comes in mighty handy when you have to dodge the bozo that cuts you off on landing.
SmileSmile

In reply to:
Why be in a hurry though? There are plenty of things you can do with your current canopy to speed the landings up, if that's what you are looking for.
Ditto!SmileSmile

JustChuteMeNow

Aug 30, 2007, 7:05 AM
Post #4 of 8 (870 views)
Shortcut

Bigger canopies are more forgiving when mistakes are made by the pilot. This is just something to think about prior to downsizing but you are a big boy and capable of making your own decisions. I hope it works out for you and your skills really are better than most people at your jump numbers.

Premier skymama  (D 26699)
Aug 30, 2007, 3:09 PM
Post #5 of 8 (770 views)
Shortcut

Have you demoed a 170 yet?

BIGUN  (D 23385)

Aug 30, 2007, 7:01 PM
Post #6 of 8 (739 views)
Shortcut

Here's what you don't tell us.
Can you do everything on Bill's downsizing checklist on the 190?

http://www.dropzone.com/...etail_page.cgi?ID=47

(This post was edited by BIGUN on Aug 30, 2007, 7:05 PM)

CrazyL  (D 17699)

Aug 30, 2007, 8:12 PM
Post #7 of 8 (720 views)
Shortcut

Bill's checklist is like an asset. I had'nt read it in a while but just did once again. Big help in flying a parachute. Even with loads of experience under my belt Bill's checklist helps me to stay on top of my game. Had'nt done a flat turn in a while, going to this weekend. Thanks Bill.

2ndgensteinke  (F License)

Aug 31, 2007, 12:44 AM
Post #8 of 8 (698 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jcecil] Downsizing advice 190 170 [In reply to] Can't Post

yeah... not to be big headed about it but i have landed in 5-10 mph downwind, crosswind to.. had to run like a rabbit thoughLaugh ... havn't landed in rears yet maybe this weekend. other than that i have looked at the checklist and all is completed but the double fronts and rears, but done once doesn't do justice i guess. would they let me demo a 170??? im going to couchfreaks tomorow i will give her a shot i guess, yeah my first jump on the 190 my instructor was pretty impressed i guess growing up on a D.Z has a FEW good thingsSly thanks guys
blues

Forums : Skydiving : Gear and Rigging

Search for (options)