Forums: Skydiving: Gear and Rigging:
Gloves - Newbie needs advise

xybe  (Student)

Jul 20, 2001, 9:03 PM
Post #1 of 14 (2398 views)
Shortcut
Gloves - Newbie needs advise Can't Post

Hi, do you guys know if it's OK for a newbie (17 jumps) to use gloves in cold weather? what kind of gloves would work best?

Thanks, it's getting chilly here south of the Equator Line.

Check out the Hardcore Whuffo pages at:
http://xybe.50megs.com

Premier skybytch  (D License)

Jul 20, 2001, 11:36 PM
Post #2 of 14 (2364 views)
Shortcut
Re: Gloves - Newbie needs advise [In reply to] Can't Post

I wear gloves on every skydive, even when it's 100+ F outside. Summertime I use fingerless weight lifting gloves, primarily to protect my hands on my less-than-perfect landings. In the winter I use Isotoner-knock offs with Thinsulate lining. Lots of feel combined with lots of warmth. Lots of jumpers use baseball batting gloves or football receiver gloves year round, adding some good glove liners for colder weather.

Do some practice pulls on all your handles with gloves on before you jump with them (and make sure the gloves will fit in your steering toggles too). As long as the gloves aren't too bulky you should be fine.

pull and flare,
lisa
----
I am a nobody.
Nobody's perfect.
Therefore, I am perfect!

Aviatrr  (D 27349)

Jul 21, 2001, 6:04 AM
Post #3 of 14 (2351 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:
Hi, do you guys know if it's OK for a newbie (17 jumps) to use gloves in cold weather? what kind of gloves would work best?
I wear gloves for cold weather jumping.. I have a couple of baseball batting gloves that work great.. They have vent holes in 'em, so you can wear 'em summer or winter.. In the winter, just add a thin liner under the baseball gloves..

Mike

phastasphuk  (D 15202)

Jul 21, 2001, 7:16 AM
Post #4 of 14 (2348 views)
Shortcut

Summertime I wear a pair of motocross gloves made of thin neoprene layer and small grippy rubberdots on fingertips, nice snug fit with excellent feel to 'em. Alpinestars make them.
Wintertime I have found thick neoprene gloves with rubberpalm to be the best. Looks kinda like divers gloves, but I don't know if that's what they are. Excellent grip in them. It's not so much about insulating your hands from the cold, it's better not to keep the air blowing through them.
But I live in Sweden, not florida or something...
I never jump without gloves, but my hands go numb very quickly. It's not a pleasant feeling to be on 1000 meters and not knowing if you're holding the pilot or not. Trust me on that one.
Just my thoughts on the matter...

chris

How would you like too stick with me
How much do you love to freefall

xybe  (Student)

Jul 21, 2001, 9:28 PM
Post #5 of 14 (2324 views)
Shortcut

Thanks a lot, guys!

Still shedding whuffoness

Check out the Hardcore Whuffo pages at:
http://xybe.50megs.com

pyke  (D 26387)

Jul 22, 2001, 3:35 PM
Post #6 of 14 (2305 views)
Shortcut

I umm'ed and ahh'ed with this one for a while when I was a student. It wasn't until I was just off student status that I had probably my coldest canopy ride ever. I got down and couldn't feel my hands for about 20 minutes.

Learning in NZ meant expecting lots of days where you either jump through 'wet' clouds (industrial hazeWink) or landing in wet grass. Everyone at my dz was converted to, something like, 2mil scuba diving gloves. Because when they get wet they still have all their grip to them. I bought the cheapest pair I could find (since I don't scuba) and had me mum sew on some velcro straps for the wrists. They work great!

Having jumped with them in both the very cold and the very hot...I can say that they have excellent breathing ability and great warmth.

My .02

Kahurangi e Mahearangi,
Pyke Tongue
NZPF A - 2584
USPA C- ?????

PalmettoTiger

Jul 22, 2001, 9:29 PM
Post #7 of 14 (2287 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:
It wasn't until I was just off student status that I had probably my coldest canopy ride ever. I got down and couldn't feel my hands for about 20 minutes.
Time for the Pointless Reminiscence of the Day:

On my first AFF IV, I was in the saddle at 8000 ft or so. It was a bit nipply out to begin with, and the extra mile of altitude didn't help. My hands started feeling really blocky, which didn't really worry me until I took them out of the toggles to try and turn my radio up. The radio was at max volume (and probably past max range, which was the real problem), and all of a sudden my hands can't find the toggles anymore. I can look at the toggles, and I can look at my hands, and I can use my arms to make my hands follow the toggles around, but my damn hands won't get into the toggles anymore. At this point I started reviewing my tree landing and PLF procedures reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeally thoroughly. Fortunately, my hands started cooperating again after about 20 seconds tucked under my chin, and I got them back into the toggles. Very scary moment, though.

Blues, squares,
PTiger

"Beer: the OTHER other white meat."

Premier SkymonkeyONE  (D 12501)

Jul 23, 2001, 7:41 AM
Post #8 of 14 (2261 views)
Shortcut

I wear gloves in the winter, but never any that are thicker than winter-weight football/baseball gloves. Currently, I wear Neuman tackified gloves, just because they were the only orange ones I could find at the time. I won't be buying the tackified ones again, though, as it is kind of a bitch to unstow my brakes without getting a finger stuck in the lines. Nomex flight gloves are great (and free in my case) as they have great "feel" and are long enough to stick up under the cuffs of your jumpsuit.

Chuck

FallRate  (A 35970)

Jul 24, 2001, 2:56 AM
Post #9 of 14 (2232 views)
Shortcut

I'm not willing to look it up, but doesn't the S.I.M. advise students to wear gloves in cold weather?

FallRate

zelda  (Student)

Jul 24, 2001, 11:20 AM
Post #10 of 14 (2221 views)
Shortcut

One of my J/Ms recommended cross-country ski gloves; haven't tried that yet. On my last brutally-cold jump (10 degrees at altitude, not counting wind chill), I wore basball gloves over silk liners...very thin, but plenty toasty!

blues,
zelda

lazerq3  (C -34113)

Jul 25, 2001, 5:33 PM
Post #11 of 14 (2197 views)
Shortcut

The SIMS state that if the temp is 40 degrees or colder at altitude the student needs gloves.

Me personnaly I dont care if the temp is 30 degrees or 100 degrees. I always wear gloves just for the fact that if I have a bad landing it may save myself from some bad cuts a scrapes!! I also wear NEWMAN brand baseball gloves!

jason

skymedic  (C 33561)

Jul 25, 2001, 6:01 PM
Post #12 of 14 (2195 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:
I also wear NEWMAN brand baseball gloves!
I didn't know NEWMAN makes baseball gloves. I know they make football(grid iron for pyke) receivers gloves...

and thats what I wear...

Marc
A-38578

lazerq3  (C -34113)

Jul 25, 2001, 6:40 PM
Post #13 of 14 (2192 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:
I didn't know NEWMAN makes baseball gloves
DOH!!!! I mean football gloves....yeah thats it...sorry!

jason
A-38658

ClayFowler  (A 36447)

Jul 25, 2001, 6:41 PM
Post #14 of 14 (2192 views)
Shortcut

Chuck's got it.....Nomex Pilot gloves or Army tanker gloves(same gloves really, just different colors) are great. They have a leather palm which blocks the wind and are even flame retardant in case you try a power line landing. Pretty cheap from military surplus places like "sportsmansguide.com" $11.97 for a pair. Great dexterity but dont mow the lawn with them as they dont take a lot of abuse. They were made for Air Force pilots after all. (Candy Ass fighter pilots)

Forums : Skydiving : Gear and Rigging

Search for (options)