Forums: Skydiving: Gear and Rigging:
Oil stains on container

Zeemax

Jun 30, 2007, 2:10 PM
Post #1 of 5 (579 views)
Shortcut
Oil stains on container Can't Post

Hi all. I've managed to get a small amount of engine oil (new and clean) on my container (cordura).

Does anyone have any tips for getting it out / off?

Thanks

Macca [:)}

diablopilot  (D License)

Jun 30, 2007, 5:08 PM
Post #2 of 5 (559 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Zeemax] Oil stains on container [In reply to] Can't Post

A delicates soap like Woolite, and a large tub of cold water. Unpack and remove canopies, immerse container, soap, scrub and rinse repeatedly. Let hang out of direct sunlight till completely dry. Repack.

kenneth21441  (B License)

Jun 30, 2007, 5:45 PM
Post #3 of 5 (550 views)
Shortcut

Depending on where its located...Reserve area... Unpack etc.....

Main area..Unpack and you might get away with spot cleaning with a spray bottle of coldwater / woolight mix...and a rag to get any run off....

But that depends on the amount of oil...etc...... I have used the spray bottle with some great sucess on small stains... Not more then 3 to 5 inches sq..

Spray area till wet...have rags around to get any run off... Rub in with hand/ fingers and repeat a few times then using regular coldwater rinse and soak up ... doing this a few times to get all the soap out then hang in a place that will not get sunlight for a day or two.. a fan will help dry it faster... Be sure to place canopy in a tote so it does not get wet durning this porcess....

Like stated before its only for small areas.......

masterrig  (D License)

Jul 1, 2007, 11:33 AM
Post #4 of 5 (500 views)
Shortcut

Spot clean the area with Varsol (lighter fluid'!) Daub with a clean cloth. Repeat if necessary. Keep turning the clean cloth so that you always daub the spot with a clean area of the cloth. Allow to air dry. Immediately using soap and water could 'set' the stain and won't get all the oil out. These same instructions are most likely, in the owner's manual for the container and also, in Poynter's Parachute Manual. If, the stain is on a reserve flap, get the rig to your rigger. I've cleaned, I don't know how many rigs this way and it works!

Chuck

seal_S49

Jul 4, 2007, 6:36 AM
Post #5 of 5 (387 views)
Shortcut

I've used "Goop" brand waterless hand cleaner for years. Also works on tar, grass, & many other stains.

First you need to blot away all the excess oil you can with a clean rag.

Isolate the stain--unpack rig as needed. Dip a toothbrush in the Goop & brush it vigorously into the stain. Let the Goop soak in for about 15 mins., maybe longer depending on the stain. Then flush thoroughly with cold water while brushing with a stiff-bristle brush.

You'll be amazed.

Forums : Skydiving : Gear and Rigging

Search for (options)