Forums: Skydiving: Safety and Training:
freeflying

skydivemike  (A License)

Jul 16, 2001, 9:32 AM
Post #1 of 4 (917 views)
Shortcut
freeflying Can't Post

I am curious about freeflying and was wondering how you learn to freefly and at what level do you even think about trying it (Licence level). Is there any good sites about how to freefly and how to do it safely.

thanks

Premier PhreeZone  (D License)
Jul 16, 2001, 11:23 AM
Post #2 of 4 (903 views)
Shortcut
Re: freeflying [In reply to] Can't Post

Make sure your gear is freefly friendly first. You need to have either a BOC or Pull-out Pilot chute and have as little bridle showing as possible. You also need good pin protection before you freefly. Going 160 mph is not the time to have a premature opening! A typical Freefly jump lasts much shorter (45-50 seconds)then a normal skydive so WATCH the alitude. You also need to transition from a fast position to a slow(belly) position as smooth as possible. Plan on starting your slow down higher then a normal break off. I like to break a big way at 5500 and a smaller way at 5000. Plan on spending at least 1000 feet slowing down while tracking away. There should be no reason for colliding with someone on opening. The other thing is dont over estimate your abbility and try and go out with a large group until corking (Rapid slowing from 150+mph to 120)is very rare. Corking under someone else is an excellent way to injure both of you. If you have the bandwith to download 11megs Wildblue has an example of a cork in his TestFlight movie. http://www.wildbluesky.com/skypics/pictures.html I cork out of the group at 6000 since I'm flying a tube. Look for the Art of VRW from Brian Germain as a book and video. Great place to learn.

Learn to sit first then transition to a stand. The next step is head down. A good way to learn sit is to wear a baggy shirt and shorts. Make sure the shirt is tucked in and secured by putting a belt or something on. Make sure you can see your altimeter and all your handels with the shirt on. The reason you want it tucked in is so that the shirt does not wrap in your hackey or handel. I about had this happen to me a few weeks ago. I went out on a quick sit fly and I touched the handle and only felt my shirt. I had to push my shirt aside to reach the hackey.
Leave the plane with your back to the wind and place your hands out behind and above you while placing your knees on your chestand your feet on your butt. Then once you get stable apply steady pressure with your feet into the air flow. There will be a strong force needed to push your feet down. It may take a few jumps to get to this point so dont feel discouraged if you dont get it the first try. Another method that I've had success in teaching is to cross your legs indian style while puting your arms out to the side. It may take a few jumps to learn your balence point but then just extend your legs down to a 90 degree angle. Standing is just extending the legs all the way down and head down is best learned from a local freeflyer who is able to capture your jump on video.

Whoa... That was cool!

Dutchboy  (A 37004)

Jul 17, 2001, 4:51 AM
Post #3 of 4 (856 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:
ook for the Art of VRW from Brian
Germain as a book and video. Great place to learn.
Brian's book and video is Vertical Journey. I have these and would say that they are OK. Art of vRW is Pat Works.

The Dutchboy
http://www.geocities.com/ppolstra

Premier PhreeZone  (D License)
Jul 17, 2001, 7:09 PM
Post #4 of 4 (803 views)
Shortcut

I read and watched all the video in one weekend and they all knida blended together. Damn those 10 degree winter weekends in Ohio.

Whoa... That was cool!

Forums : Skydiving : Safety and Training

Search for (options)