Forums: Skydiving: Gear and Rigging:
Changing over canopies

Yossarian  (C 105227)

Apr 24, 2007, 6:56 AM
Post #1 of 8 (634 views)
Shortcut
Changing over canopies Can't Post

my uni club has two rigs at present, a pilot 188 in an icon sport and a triathlon 170 also in an icon sport. i know that both containers will fit both canopies as per the sizing chart, what do i have to think about when changing them over? (harnesses are different sizes, somebody wants to jump the 170 but cant fit into the h/c its in at the moment).

as both containers are icons, same age, both with mini-risers, im pretty sure i dont have to swap d-bags/risers etc and as far as i can tell the process would be to unpack both, cut them away, re-attach them to their 'new' containers and repack them after a careful check of both the lines (making sure theyre all in the right place etc) and the 3 rings. is there anything im missing or need to think about? it seems simple enough, just making sure...

thanks for your help

DougH  (D License)

Apr 24, 2007, 7:16 AM
Post #2 of 8 (617 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Yossarian] Changing over canopies [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
is there anything im missing or need to think about? it seems simple enough, just making sure...

thanks for your help

I would add that you should do a four line, instead of the normal run up the lines that most of us do before pro packing. You might have ment that, but I didn't see it mentioned. Smile

Also make sure the white loop is routed correctly through the terminal and the rsl is hooked back up properly on the riser. It does NOT clip on to the large base ring. Tongue Sly

(This post was edited by DougH on Apr 24, 2007, 7:40 AM)

fcajump  (D 15598)

Apr 24, 2007, 8:24 AM
Post #3 of 8 (558 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:
my uni club has two rigs at present, a pilot 188 in an icon sport and a triathlon 170 also in an icon sport. i know that both containers will fit both canopies as per the sizing chart, what do i have to think about when changing them over? (harnesses are different sizes, somebody wants to jump the 170 but cant fit into the h/c its in at the moment).

as both containers are icons, same age, both with mini-risers, im pretty sure i dont have to swap d-bags/risers etc and as far as i can tell the process would be to unpack both, cut them away, re-attach them to their 'new' containers and repack them after a careful check of both the lines (making sure theyre all in the right place etc) and the 3 rings. is there anything im missing or need to think about? it seems simple enough, just making sure...

thanks for your help

Make sure the reserve is still appropriate for the jumper weight.

JW

riggerrob  (D 14840)

Apr 24, 2007, 11:10 AM
Post #4 of 8 (503 views)
Shortcut

Start by staring at the data panels (under the shoulder yoke, about tit level). The data panels should include the container size (i.e. "I5").
If both rigs are the same size, you can swap deployment bags along with pilot chutes and risers.

riggerrob  (D 14840)

Apr 24, 2007, 11:15 AM
Post #5 of 8 (494 views)
Shortcut

Start by laying both rigs on the packing mat, side-by-side.
Pull the pilot chutes and deployment bags out, just far enough to straighten out the main risers.
Lay books, packing weights or the laziest club member across the main risers.
Pull both cutaway handles.
Clean cutaway cables.
Re-insert cutaway handles into harnesses.
Leave the main risers, etc. laying on the packing mat.
Swap harnesses.
Re-connect the main risers, remembering to keep cutaway handles with their original harnesses.
Wake-up up lazy club member.
Stretch out main canopies.
Do line continuity checks.
Pack mains.
Skydive.

pincheck  (C 105040)

Apr 24, 2007, 11:26 AM
Post #6 of 8 (488 views)
Shortcut
Re: [riggerrob] Changing over canopies [In reply to] Can't Post

should he not disconect any rsl fitted first before pulling the cutaway handles ?

DeNReN  (B 5642)

Apr 24, 2007, 11:55 AM
Post #7 of 8 (476 views)
Shortcut
Re: [pincheck] Changing over canopies [In reply to] Can't Post

and....Wink

dont forget to check that the closing loops are the appropiate length...as the Tri 175 should pack a little smaller.

Yossarian  (C 105227)

Apr 24, 2007, 5:52 PM
Post #8 of 8 (422 views)
Shortcut
Re: [DeNReN] Changing over canopies [In reply to] Can't Post

thanks, had all that covered except the closing loops but im sure that would have made itself apparent when i closed the container

cheers for your help

Forums : Skydiving : Gear and Rigging

Search for (options)