Forums: Skydiving: General Skydiving Discussions:
Cross Country!!

lowpullin1  (D 28464)

Nov 10, 2002, 8:02 PM
Post #1 of 8 (1350 views)
Shortcut
Cross Country!! Can't Post

did a cross county on my new heatwave 135. got out 10 away from the dropzone and the GPS said i was doing 92 knots. i made i back to the dz by 3 grand. that was really cool. will have to try it again. Sly

ernokaikkonen  (D 12)

Nov 10, 2002, 11:25 PM
Post #2 of 8 (1294 views)
Shortcut
Re: [lowpullin1] Cross Country!! [In reply to] Can't Post

I did a cross-country once where we got out over the DZ and just flew as far downwind as we could. From 3000m we got about 10km away I think.

We of course studied the winds beforehand and checked the map for an approximate landing area. We also had a pickup car ready, and all of us had cellphones with us. The six of us landed in four different places though if I recall correctly...Cool I landed on a medium-sized clearing in the woods, and had to hike through a km of thick woods and shrubbery, with an open canopy...

ltdiver  (D 20506)

Nov 11, 2002, 12:55 AM
Post #3 of 8 (1286 views)
Shortcut

Ummm....did an unplanned 'cross-country' on jump#48.Crazy

Cessna-182 that took ~30 minutes to climb to altitude...
Ground winds picked up considerably on the way up...
Flying borrowed student gear--Goliath-378 (loaded at .38:1) ...
Opened East(downwind) of the DZ (boogie in a farmer's field)...
Couldn't penitrate the prevailing windsShocked...

Landed 2 miles downwind, in the -only- clearing around, but by a house under construction with powerlines and broken pallets all around.Unsure

Lessons learned! Bought my own canopy soon thereafter...

ltdiver

obes  (D License)

Nov 11, 2002, 2:06 AM
Post #4 of 8 (1279 views)
Shortcut

92Knts... Damn, You would put some light A/C to shame with that ground speed.Cool
Nice one.

luis  (D License)

Nov 11, 2002, 2:20 AM
Post #5 of 8 (1275 views)
Shortcut
Re: [obes] Cross Country!! [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
92Knts... Damn, You would put some light A/C to shame with that ground speed.Cool
Nice one.

...sounds like riding a hurricaneWink

I did a cross country in 0 winds on Contrail150, covered 7km distance from 3.6km altitude. The horizontal speed with brakes set - 38km/h, full glide - 53km/h ... and after 90deg toggle turn on landing - 73km/h. That's according to my Garmin GPS12 Cool

obes  (D License)

Nov 11, 2002, 1:24 PM
Post #6 of 8 (1213 views)
Shortcut
Re: [luis] Cross Country!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Bloody hell luis... LOL Wink
These XCountries are pretty serious stuff, the next thing I'll be hearing about is people getting out with a WAC and chestmounted VOR.
How did you go with your time estimates in each sector..... just kidding.

The last time I did a Xcountry was unintetional a few years back, caused by cloud and some even sillyer people getting out before me. I must say I was so far out a GPS may of come in handy. Cool

Obes Smile

Iflyme  (B 4421)

Nov 13, 2002, 7:41 PM
Post #7 of 8 (1130 views)
Shortcut

Love those cross-country jumps! Did a couple back in the summer in shorts and a t-shirt. Feel sorry for the groundlings when I'm wayyyyy up there under canopy!

wingnut  (D 27688)

Nov 14, 2002, 3:19 PM
Post #8 of 8 (1086 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ernokaikkonen] Cross Country!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Quote:
had to hike through a km of thick woods and shrubbery, with an open canopy...

that is why ya should always jump with a pull up cord on ya... trash pack the canopy quickly and then atleast it's in the container...... i have done this once on a really really long spot.... it helped so much on the long walk back to the dz across cow fields in high winds...

Forums : Skydiving : General Skydiving Discussions

Search for (options)