Forums: Skydiving: Gear and Rigging:
Tough Goggles

ramon  (D 26115)

Jul 12, 2001, 7:05 AM
Post #1 of 5 (760 views)
Shortcut
Tough Goggles Can't Post

I ran across this website. These guys are making protective eye wear in a somewhat fashionable manner (they are marketed for extreme sports). The gogles/glasses are made from the plastic that the astronauts faceplates are made from.

When I hooked too low once (knock on wood) my cheap goggle lens popped out and presumably could have shattered had I impacted somehting a little harder than mud.

http://www.xsop.com/about.asp

I thought it might be worth looking into if you do AFF instruction or you want better eye protection.

bloo skies
ramon

P.S. I still wear cheap goggles Kroops or Grateful Freds.

DZBone  (D 14358)

Jul 12, 2001, 10:41 AM
Post #2 of 5 (725 views)
Shortcut
Re: Tough Goggles [In reply to] Can't Post

They don't look like they would block the wind very well, so you would have to wear a full-face anyway?

ramon  (D 26115)

Jul 12, 2001, 4:03 PM
Post #3 of 5 (694 views)
Shortcut

??

Who knows. Lots of skydivers wear sunglasses Oakleys, Gatorz (very popular in houston), Optic Nerve.

Different strokes...

PalmettoTiger

Jul 12, 2001, 7:07 PM
Post #4 of 5 (680 views)
Shortcut

Shades can work pretty well. I've worn close-fitting sunglasses on a jump and didn't have too much of a problem with them. I noticed that with my head up, they wobbled a little but didn't let in much air. If I lowered my head any, they wobbled a lot more and my eyes started to tear up.

Blues, squares,
PTiger

"Beer: the OTHER other white meat."

DZBone  (D 14358)

Jul 12, 2001, 9:25 PM
Post #5 of 5 (673 views)
Shortcut

I know riding the bike, I have had mixed luck with sunglasses. Some designs work great, others don't. And head angle makes all the difference, like PT says.

I guess it could work! I know that high-speed wind can cause as much damage as a foreign object, so it pays to be careful about goggles/eyewear. I have an abrasion that keeps eroding on my left eye (sounds gross, but its really just a little irritating when it opens, like a new scrape - happens a lot when the air is dry, like in winter w/the heat on). Anyway, I got it originally from wind after losing goggles.

Carl

Forums : Skydiving : Gear and Rigging

Search for (options)