Forums: Archive: 2006-2007 USPA BOD Elections:
Election turnout

Eule  (Student)

Jan 9, 2007, 8:23 PM
Post #1 of 10 (1618 views)
Shortcut
Election turnout Can't Post

Here's another view on the election turnout. Not how many USPA members voted, but how many candidates came here to present their positions and/or talk to the members.

There were 13 candidates for National Directors with statements in Parachutist and names on the ballot. By my count, three of them posted here.

There were also 13 candidates for Regional Directors with statements in Parachutist and names on the ballot. By my count, two of them posted here.

Overall, that's about a 19% (5/26) turnout for the candidates that were on the ballot - in other words, not running as write-ins. That's around twice as good as the number of members who voted, but overall, it's not a very big number.

In case anybody's wondering, yes, I did vote.

Eule

jlmiracle  (D License)

Jan 10, 2007, 6:24 AM
Post #2 of 10 (1550 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Eule] Election turnout [In reply to] Can't Post

Quote:
Here's another view on the election turnout. Not how many USPA members voted, but how many candidates came here to present their positions and/or talk to the members.

There views were posted in Parachutist. Not all candidates have access to a computer 24/7. Some people don't have desk jobs and would prefer to be at a dz talking with jumpers instead of taking to a computer screen with anonymous screen names.

j

j

matthewcline  (D 21585)

Jan 10, 2007, 7:55 AM
Post #3 of 10 (1526 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Eule] Election turnout [In reply to] Can't Post

This is just a popular skydiving web sight but not the USPA web sight.

The candidates went and did what they "have to do" and some went above the "have to do" and visited the DZ's and posted here.

But as Jill eluded to, most here will just attack and bitch at them.

Matt

jdatc

Jan 11, 2007, 4:34 PM
Post #4 of 10 (1448 views)
Shortcut
Re: [matthewcline] Election turnout [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
But as Jill eluded to, most here will just attack and bitch at them.

Matt

Yeah, probably, kind of like the way people bitched that the majority of members didn't vote.

I didn't vote, and don't care. Sad huh? I am a member soley because most places I skydive require USPA membership.

Nothing more than that.

Makes you wonder how many other members are the same? Silent majority again?

matthewcline  (D 21585)

Jan 11, 2007, 6:41 PM
Post #5 of 10 (1423 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jdatc] Election turnout [In reply to] Can't Post

But here there are far more members who don't vote, but do bitch.

Have you ever voiced a complaint about any thing in USPA's purview?

If so, you do care, but your apathy and laziness will be the end of our sport.

Just for giggles.

Have you ever filed to do a DEMO Jump?
If not ask some who has and look at the blank manifest in the provisions that came with the FAA's 7711-1 Authorization for a Parachute Demonstration Jump. On that manifest what organization and license options does it give you? Yep, 1, USPA and USPA only. The DC rep only recognizes USPA as the Nations Skydiving Authority. The FAA does not want to deal with individual skydivers or any other organization about skydiving.

What does this have to do with you or I? If we think the organizations BOD is leading us in the wrong direction and taking actions we disagree with or not doing things we thing should even be considered, then we vote for a new BOD.

If we don't vote, we don't care, if we don't care, our sport dies.

Matt

jdatc

Jan 12, 2007, 4:07 PM
Post #6 of 10 (1386 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:
But here there are far more members who don't vote, but do bitch.

Not me. I just go with the flow in terms of skydiving.

I have to be s USPA member to skydive for the most part, so I am. It's not a huge hit in the pocket book in terms of what I've spent on parachuting gear, so I ignore it. If a USPA membership was a lot more expensive, you'd see a different response.

In reply to:
Have you ever voiced a complaint about any thing in USPA's purview?

Nope

In reply to:
If so, you do care, but your apathy and laziness will be the end of our sport.

True, apathy generally does kill an organization, but the root of the matter is, where does all of this apathy come from? And why?

In reply to:
Just for giggles.

Have you ever filed to do a DEMO Jump?
If not ask some who has and look at the blank manifest in the provisions that came with the FAA's 7711-1 Authorization for a Parachute Demonstration Jump. On that manifest what organization and license options does it give you? Yep, 1, USPA and USPA only. The DC rep only recognizes USPA as the Nations Skydiving Authority.

Well hmm..... Let's look at this, I love to deal with the FAA

I work for them in one capacity, have worked with them in another, and have a commercial pilot license and an Aircraft Dispatcher license, neither of which I regulary excersise.... I'd also love to get a riggers ticket if I could find some time and motivation.....

But anyway, 1st stop.

http://www.faa.gov/.../FAC/Ch18/s1801.html

form is at the bottom.

Doesn't say USPA and USPA only.... sorry....

Then on to here

http://www.faa.gov/...2/media/2_049_00.pdf

Scroll down to 49-6

Well, USPA isn't the only game in town. But they did set the standard.

The phrase that rings true is "...Non airmen participants, such as parachutists may be accepted on the basis of license issued by the USPA, similar organizations or equivalent qualifications accepatble to the FAA..."

On to 49-26

-> sorry to lazy to type

Parachutists not associated with USPA... blah blah blah, present skill equivalent and satisfactory evidence"

So the USPA paved the way and set the standards. Good work, no doubt. WIthout their footwork, it'd probably be the old boys network, or a lot more work.

But you could be a non member and still do a demo. I bet there are quite a few people with a lot of parachute experience in tight landing areas that don't have a USPA demo license, but could qualify for demos with a little work....

In reply to:
The FAA does not want to deal with individual skydivers or any other organization about skydiving

Eh, I'd say false. Every user of the FAA is a customer... I know, hard to believe, but that's the new attitude. I can't say what it was like 10 years ago.

What would you want to wager, that I can get a waiver and set up a demo? I know it might be a little unfair seeing how I work for the FAA....

But now, that you got me to look into this stuff, it's kind of interesting... Thanks. Cool stuff, I never dug out any of these kind of FAA publications in my travels.

In reply to:
What does this have to do with you or I? If we think the organizations BOD is leading us in the wrong direction and taking actions we disagree with or not doing things we thing should even be considered, then we vote for a new BOD.

Yup, history (at least politically) proves that if you screw up enough, you can make people angry enough to overcome their apathy and vote your ass out.

In reply to:
If we don't vote, we don't care, if we don't care, our sport dies.

Matt

Yup. Or, consider this scenario, the USPA slowly declines. Then dies. EVerything works ok for a while. Then typical gov't beaurocracy prevails and starts pushing skydiving around. We organize again... A vicious possible cycle.

_justin

ps, I don't spell check, but I did learn how to use all this reply and quote stuff during this post, thanks!

matthewcline  (D 21585)

Jan 12, 2007, 5:03 PM
Post #7 of 10 (1371 views)
Shortcut

Cool links.

Unfortunately, your the only employee of the FAA I have met in 12 years of working for a DEMO team who does not first ask for my USPA credentials. but I have worked with a few who where willing to listen and talk things out, so on that note.

I mentioned the DC rep because she said (paraphrased), if your not DOD and don't have USPA qualifications, then, No to the waiver.

To be fair I did get a Rep from the Memphis FSDO to come and certify a jumper base on actual skill and not his "credentials".

How about the FSDO hand book? I didn't see that in the two links. The one shown to me by a FSDO in Virginia had, in bold letters [ USPA PRO Rating and "C" and "D" License holders ONLY ] in it. If it is no longer being used that would be great, but in 2004 the FSDO came and watched the Demo and stuck to us from pre-jump to clearing the field, all the while carrying that handbook.

USPA is still the only representation we have in the US. Sure you can find a bogus organization with no membership or BOD on the internet .

Bottom line we need to support our Organization so we can still jump.

Matt

jdatc

Jan 12, 2007, 5:42 PM
Post #8 of 10 (1366 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:
Cool links.

Thanks, I love the internet, it's all out there somewhere.

In reply to:
Unfortunately, your the only employee of the FAA I have met in 12 years of working for a DEMO team who does not first ask for my USPA credentials. but I have worked with a few who where willing to listen and talk things out, so on that note.

Well, I am a controller, so I guess that makes me a little different than the rank and file. Generally, we just don't see eye to eye with management types.

In reply to:
I mentioned the DC rep because she said (paraphrased), if your not DOD and don't have USPA qualifications, then, No to the waiver.

The DC rep, what position did she hold? I assume one at a Flight Standards District Office? Aviation Safety Inspector?

I could omit the fact that I hold a USPA license on my applications and see what happens....

In reply to:
To be fair I did get a Rep from the Memphis FSDO to come and certify a jumper base on actual skill and not his "credentials".

Cool, what was involved in that?

In reply to:
How about the FSDO hand book? I didn't see that in the two links. The one shown to me by a FSDO in Virginia had, in bold letters [ USPA PRO Rating and "C" and "D" License holders ONLY ] in it. If it is no longer being used that would be great, but in 2004 the FSDO came and watched the Demo and stuck to us from pre-jump to clearing the field, all the while carrying that handbook.

FSDO handbook.... well... hmm...

http://www.faa.gov/...xaminers_inspectors/

Those are pretty much it for most FSDO people who do inspection and exam type things.

However, if it was a federal AViation Regulation (FAR)
http://www.airweb.faa.gov/...inFrame?OpenFrameSet

In reply to:
USPA is still the only representation we have in the US. Sure you can find a bogus organization with no membership or BOD on the internet .

Agreed on the first part. Never searched for a fake organization, do you have any links?

In reply to:
Bottom line we need to support our Organization so we can still jump.

Yes and No. I agree that in the long run it's the best course of action. But we could jump without the USPA. It'd be more difficult and the overall participation would decrease, but those of us that wanted to jump still could. A lot of DZ's would probably close though.

You'd have a few centralized DZ's and private airports away from other users I'd imagine if it wasn't for USPA fighting for our rights.... As most airport managers don't like skydiving interefereing with their operations....

But in regards to my motivations-

My apathy stems from the simple fact that, I only started skydiving to develop the knowledge and canopy skills neccesary to BASE jump.

Later, I found skydiving enjoyable enough to continue to jump, just at a reduced rate.

My heart lies in a different place.

_justin

matthewcline  (D 21585)

Jan 12, 2007, 6:00 PM
Post #9 of 10 (1363 views)
Shortcut

Oh the net, good and bad.

So as a controller you have heard the joke about the SR-71 pilots?

The DC rep was the US Air Show Head Inspector (something like that).

For the Memphis rep I had to fax down part 105 with high lighted sections. The log books and the plan to show how we would train the jumper for the demo, we also had 2 letters of endorsement from 2 other S&TA's (not me) to help show no bias.

The fellow came out, inspected the rigs, the training plan, the safety brief, and the jumpers actual log book. He then stayed and watched the days training, the jumper had a .75 average for the day (11 jumps) and the FSDO signed the 7711-1 on the spot. We have gotten along famously since.

Those hand books didn't look like the one I saw but they are, again, cool to have links too!

No link to the fake organization but some one here does I am sure. Rest assured the fake org is linked to a lot of fake web things.Unsure

Be safe!
Matt

jdatc

Jan 12, 2007, 6:29 PM
Post #10 of 10 (1361 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:
So as a controller you have heard the joke about the SR-71 pilots?

Are you referring to the groundspeed read out one?

It's a good one I must admit, I think it was in the book Sled-Dogs...

There is always some kind of entertaining exchange going on. I was cursed with a sharp wit, and not the foresight to think about what I say, so I have the occasional laconic reply......

In reply to:
The DC rep was the US Air Show Head Inspector (something like that).

I won't bullshit you here. I believe at a big airshow kind of event, they are going to be very strict and dot every I and cross every T in terms of qualifications for everyone involved.

So at major event, like say the Ft Lauderdale Air and Sea show, I'd expect a lot of extra scrutiny. But a small demo into a park or something similar, I think you'd see less oversight.

But the DC rep, was she at headquarters, or just the Washington (dulles) FSDO?

http://www.faa.gov/.../media/directory.pdf

Amazingly, they even have this kind of thing online.

http://www.faa.gov/...oyee%20Directory.pdf

Goold old NY looks like it has little concern for General aviation matters, just commercial stuff if you go by the directory....

In reply to:
For the Memphis rep I had to fax down part 105 with high lighted sections. The log books and the plan to show how we would train the jumper for the demo, we also had 2 letters of endorsement from 2 other S&TA's (not me) to help show no bias.

Here's the memphis FSDO directory

http://www.faa.gov/...0Intercom%20List.pdf

What was the guys / name title from the Memphis FSDO that did this?

In reply to:
The fellow came out, inspected the rigs, the training plan, the safety brief, and the jumpers actual log book. He then stayed and watched the days training, the jumper had a .75 average for the day (11 jumps) and the FSDO signed the 7711-1 on the spot. We have gotten along famously since.

That's pretty cool, I mean it shows good oversight.... But let's be honest, with as much stuff (regulations and facets) that avition has, do you think he was versed enough to even have a clue?

In reply to:
Those hand books didn't look like the one I saw but they are, again, cool to have links too!

Yeah, I never looked at them either till you got me thinking, pretty neat stuff to see what they are looking for.

In reply to:
No link to the fake organization but some one here does I am sure. Rest assured the fake org is linked to a lot of fake web things.Unsure

Yeah, now a days with the proper paperwork, you can pretty much start you own anything. SPeaking of which, I wonder if I could start my own parachute organization.... that'd be interesting.

In reply to:
Be safe!
Matt

Thanks, I always try to minimize what risk I can. Thanks again for the responses, and getting me thinking. Good banter and intelligent discussions are often hard to find on the net-

_justin

Forums : Archive : 2006-2007 USPA BOD Elections

Search for (options)