Forums: Skydiving: Safety and Training:
the hill



Jul 8, 2001, 3:45 PM
Post #1 of 4 (882 views)
the hill Can't Post

i know i read an explanation of this term somewhere in one of these forums...or is it fori?...along with most of the latin i ever knew, i forget both the reference and the explanation. it's that damned crs...would one of you be so kind as to refresh my memory?

skymedic  (C 33561)

Jul 8, 2001, 3:52 PM
Post #2 of 4 (867 views)
Re: the hill [In reply to] Can't Post

It is the part of the skydive where you are accelerating up to terminal. basicly right as you exit the airplane you wont be at a flat angle you are more towards the relative wind and as you ride this out and flatten out it is like riding down a "hill"


pyke  (D 26387)

Jul 8, 2001, 4:20 PM
Post #3 of 4 (864 views)
Re: the hill [In reply to] Can't Post

I am not challenging the description from you skymedic, but how I describe/think of it is...

The transition from the relative wind off the plane/probblast to the relative wind of your when you leave the plane you decelerate your forward speed and accelerate your fall rate, which is referred to as the 'hill'.

anyway, I accept if anyone has a more technical description...but that is how I explain it to myself (and others if I ever had to).

Kahurangi e Mahearangi,
NZPF A - 2584

Premier SkymonkeyONE  (D 12501)

Jul 9, 2001, 7:53 AM
Post #4 of 4 (816 views)
Re: the hill [In reply to] Can't Post

That is a fair description. What the original poster might have wanted to know, though, is how it relates to what we do. Therefore, I submit this:
Say you and your friends are going to do some 4-way. You are not going to just jump out of the plane, all linked up, facing the earth. The relative wind, in that case, would hit the side of your formation and flip you under or over right away. To exit with stability out the door, one (or a group), must present his or her underbelly (assuming you are doing RW) to the wind, which in most cases is from the front of the aircraft. The points or maneuvers that you perform during this transition from forward flight to vertical descent are considered "on the hill".


Forums : Skydiving : Safety and Training


Search for (options)