Forums: Skydiving: Gear and Rigging:
Colors to avoid?

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

aardvarkeater  (C 37868)

Dec 6, 2006, 8:27 AM
Post #1 of 58 (2163 views)
Shortcut
Colors to avoid? Can't Post

I have a question about gear colors. Within the next year I'll be purchasing new gear including a jumpsuit, main, reserve, and container. I'd like for the colors to match up on everything and therefore been planning out the colors to be used. I'll be purchasing the jumpsuit first so I need to decide in the next month or so. My question is, are there any specific colors or color combinations to avoid? My main concern would be a jumpsuit and/or canopy that may make me less visible to other skydivers. In addition I don't want to be using color combinations that other teams might have "dibs" on.

The color scheme I'm leaning towards is black as the dominant color with silver/gray and yellow as accent colors. My suit, container, and main would incorporate all these colors while my reserve would probably be solid yellow. Does anyone see any potential issues with these colors?

(This post was edited by aardvarkeater on Dec 6, 2006, 8:38 AM)

labrys  (D 29848)

Dec 6, 2006, 8:33 AM
Post #2 of 58 (2146 views)
Shortcut
Re: [aardvarkeater] Colors to avoid? [In reply to] Can't Post

Quote:
My main concern would be a jumpsuit and/or canopy that may make me less visible to other skydivers

Ummm.... avoid light / sky blue maybe?

A green canopy might be harder to spot after a cutaway.

Have fun

Airgump  (D 29909)

Dec 6, 2006, 8:50 AM
Post #3 of 58 (2123 views)
Shortcut

black is damn hot for a jumpsuit color, especially if ya jump in cali or AZ. i've seen many change from black to a gray or simular color. new camera suit was made of winter camo and silver cordura

kingbunky  (B 5376)

Dec 6, 2006, 9:23 AM
Post #4 of 58 (2088 views)
Shortcut

anything white attracts dirt and dust. Crazy that said, it gives you some incentive to stand up your landings.

aardvarkeater  (C 37868)

Dec 6, 2006, 9:29 AM
Post #5 of 58 (2080 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Airgump] Colors to avoid? [In reply to] Can't Post

I'll probably be doing most of my jumping in the southeast, GA, SC, NC, etc. Max average highs in these areas get around 90F. I'm the kind of person who will wear jeans on a hot summer day so I'm not too worried about being hot for a few minutes.
However when I do decide to start going out west I think your advice about a cooler color suit is a good idea. Probably at that time I'll look for cheaper suit in a different color.

Premier NWFlyer  (D License)

Dec 6, 2006, 9:38 AM
Post #6 of 58 (2060 views)
Shortcut

My new-to-me canopy is all black with red ribs. I was not really comfortable being under it on a (slightly late) sunset load with lower light conditions because I know it made me significantly less visible. Otherwise, I've got no trouble with all black. You mentioned using lighter colors as accent colors - maybe get one or two cells or more in an accent color.

Thanatos340  (B 27588)

Dec 6, 2006, 10:20 AM
Post #7 of 58 (2020 views)
Shortcut

As a Member of S.A.P.P.S (Skydivers Against Pink and Purple Shit), I must advise against Pink and Purple canopies unless you have the Mullet to pull it off.Wink

Other wise your color choice sound good.

aardvarkeater  (C 37868)

Dec 6, 2006, 10:22 AM
Post #8 of 58 (2018 views)
Shortcut
Re: [NWFlyer] Colors to avoid? [In reply to] Can't Post

Here's what I've been playing around with.
Attachments: canopy.jpg (14.2 KB)
  jumpsuit.jpg (17.1 KB)

JohnRich  (D License)

Dec 6, 2006, 11:01 AM
Post #9 of 58 (1970 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:
The color scheme I'm leaning towards is black as the dominant color with silver/gray and yellow as accent colors. My suit, container, and main would incorporate all these colors while my reserve would probably be solid yellow.

Yellow will show soil easily, and will be tough to clean. If it's just edging on your rig and jumpsuit, or something like that, no big deal. But if you have big swaths of yellow panels, look out. Especially on the knees and fanny where you will be sliding across grass.

As for reserves, do you mean the reserve canopy? Who cares what color it is! It's rarely used, and then the only thing that matters is that it works. Just leave it white, in the raw. That's serves as a signal to others on the ground and in the air, that you've had a problem and are under a reserve, so that they can help look out for you. The problem with colorful reserves is that nobody recognizes them as reserves.

Black, silver and gray is a classy combination.

Update: I've seen your images now. Yeah, yellow on the jumpsuit grippers is great. They won't show soil much in those locations, and are a good accent for people to find them in freefall for docking. They look good to me.

Bright colors are subject to some fading over time.

(This post was edited by JohnRich on Dec 6, 2006, 11:04 AM)

chrismgtis  (B 32561)

Dec 6, 2006, 11:01 AM
Post #10 of 58 (1969 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:
Here's what I've been playing around with.

That jumpsuit will make you look like a ninja that is worried about getting hit by cars at night. Tongue

Elisha  (D 31656)

Dec 6, 2006, 11:06 AM
Post #11 of 58 (1959 views)
Shortcut

I've seen those colors out here in NorCal...you'll have to start over.

Just kidding. Do whatever floats your boat.

kkeenan  (D 22164)

Dec 6, 2006, 11:14 AM
Post #12 of 58 (1951 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:
...I don't want to be using color combinations that other teams might have "dibs" on.

This is very true. Some DZs have "gang" colors, and if you show up wearing those, you'll be beaten senseless on sight.

monkycndo  (D License)

Dec 6, 2006, 11:18 AM
Post #13 of 58 (1946 views)
Shortcut
Re: [JohnRich] Colors to avoid? [In reply to] Can't Post

My rigger prefers light blue reserves. When checking stitching, easier to see the white threads against the blue fabric. White on white is harder.

Regarding the suit. All black with highlights will look like every other black suit with highlights. Add a little more color so you can be seen more easily on video.Cool My suit has a lot of blue with yellow and grey that both tend to show the dirt.Unsure But those that dock on me in the formation have no problem finding their slot.

Having a dark center cell is good. After many pack jobs while sweating in the summer, a light colored one will show the dirt.
Attachments: Colors.jpg (92.8 KB)

wmw999  (D 6296)

Dec 6, 2006, 11:20 AM
Post #14 of 58 (1938 views)
Shortcut
Re: [monkycndo] Colors to avoid? [In reply to] Can't Post

Quote:
Add a little more color so you can be seen more easily on video.
Unless, of course, you decide to get into bigway relative work. Then you want all black, so you look like all the other all black-clad folks, and won't stand out on video Sly

Wendy W.

jumpdr  (C 106094)

Dec 6, 2006, 11:21 AM
Post #15 of 58 (1934 views)
Shortcut
Re: [JohnRich] Colors to avoid? [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
Black, silver and gray is a classy combination.

What can I say! Cool
Attachments: Pilot.jpg (45.7 KB)
  Rig.jpg (52.4 KB)
  Suit.jpg (14.8 KB)

phoenixlpr  (D 3049)

Dec 6, 2006, 11:24 AM
Post #16 of 58 (1928 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jumpdr] Colors to avoid? [In reply to] Can't Post

I'd rather choose some other color for the center cell, something dark. The center cell is the one touched by every packjob.

jumpdr  (C 106094)

Dec 6, 2006, 11:27 AM
Post #17 of 58 (1922 views)
Shortcut
Re: [phoenixlpr] Colors to avoid? [In reply to] Can't Post

Damn. Bit late now... Unsure It's 3 months since I ordered. I actually chose a white cell because the student canopies at our DZ have them and someone pointed it out as making it easier to find the centre cell when packing. Didn't think about it getting dirty...
Ah well, I'll know for my next canopy! Unimpressed

dragon2  (D 101989)

Dec 6, 2006, 11:37 AM
Post #18 of 58 (1904 views)
Shortcut

I have a black/silver/purple canopy now and even though I like the colors, I have been told my canopy is hard to see in the air.

I personally hate those white/light blue/dark blue type canopies I have trouble spotting those from below.

My previous canopy was alternate magenta/yellow, signal colors for sure people always knew where I was!

rehmwa  (D 12816)

Dec 6, 2006, 12:39 PM
Post #19 of 58 (1871 views)
Shortcut

Those are gorgeous.

You also met the rule of "no more than 3 colors" or it will look stupid.

I understand matching the suit and container. But why match the main? It can be anything.

I like a very bright main (neon yellow, neon orange, white), though my suit and container are pretty resellable (black, smoke, dark green).

JohnRich has a good point about the reserve. One color (nothing wrong with yellow) is easy for people to recognize you had a mal. Actually, ask you rigger what he prefers - some like white or blue for inspection (If I inspected reserves, I'd want white with dark stitching so the inspection is easier....)

We had someone local buy a reserve to match her main. She thought it would be neat. But when she had a reserve ride, no one noticed so her bag and main weren't chased.

(This post was edited by rehmwa on Dec 6, 2006, 12:40 PM)

aardvarkeater  (C 37868)

Dec 6, 2006, 12:41 PM
Post #20 of 58 (1869 views)
Shortcut

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions. From what I gather, having a bit more yellow on the jumpsuit will make me more visible to the camera. Is that just overall visibility or being able to pick myself out of a group?

aardvarkeater  (C 37868)

Dec 6, 2006, 1:14 PM
Post #21 of 58 (1842 views)
Shortcut
Re: [rehmwa] Colors to avoid? [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
Those are gorgeous.

Thank you.

In reply to:
I understand matching the suit and container. But why match the main? It can be anything.

Well I really liked the black yellow and silver combo which is why I started out with that.

What I gather from everyone's comments is having a black center cell is good since it is exposed to dirt the most. I'm thinking about dropping the colors to just black and yellow for my main canopy. I"ll put up an image once I finish playing around with options.

I see what you mean about not having a reserve that is similar to the main. I'll talk to my rigger and see what he recommends.

davelepka  (D 21448)

Dec 6, 2006, 1:17 PM
Post #22 of 58 (1840 views)
Shortcut

Search the forums for threads about buying all new stuff for your first rig. Tons of reasons not to.

As for colors, get whatever you want, just remember that being ugly or pink lowers the resale value.

rehmwa  (D 12816)

Dec 6, 2006, 1:28 PM
Post #23 of 58 (1829 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:
Well I really liked the black yellow and silver combo which is why I started out with that.

my very first custom rig was exactly the same thoughts (only black red and silver). It ALL matched main, container, jumpsuit. I was thrilled with it.

good luck

Elisha  (D 31656)

Dec 6, 2006, 2:05 PM
Post #24 of 58 (1805 views)
Shortcut
Re: [monkycndo] Colors to avoid? [In reply to] Can't Post

I think you were one of the people I had in mind. I think Ego may have a similar colored RW suit too (gray and yellow).

masterrig  (D License)

Dec 6, 2006, 2:53 PM
Post #25 of 58 (1781 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Thanatos340] Colors to avoid? [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
As a Member of S.A.P.P.S (Skydivers Against Pink and Purple Shit), I must advise against Pink and Purple canopies unless you have the Mullet to pull it off.Wink

Other wise your color choice sound good.

That's O.K.! My gear and main, are Navy and Neon Pink! It takes a manly man to jump pink! Oh... and I don't have a mullet!LaughLaugh

Chuck

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Skydiving : Gear and Rigging

Search for (options)