Forums: Archive: 2006-2007 USPA BOD Elections:
I'd like to hear from the voters!!

larryskydives

Nov 13, 2006, 4:15 PM
Post #1 of 20 (1799 views)
Shortcut
I'd like to hear from the voters!! Can't Post

During this election, I have spoken with members about their concerns.

I'd like to ask those viewing this forum, what do want to see from the next BOD?

What do you believe would make this a better USPA?

What issues would you like for the BOD to spend time on?

We have people asking what we believe, but I want to represent what the members want.

Thank you,
Larry Stapleton
National Director Candidate

matthewcline  (D 21585)

Nov 13, 2006, 4:47 PM
Post #2 of 20 (1774 views)
Shortcut
Re: [larryskydives] I'd like to hear from the voters!! [In reply to] Can't Post

A National Level effort on New Member recruiting and Member retention.

A better run GM Program.

Keep Student training a USPA priority not hand it off to seperate organizations who have simular motives but are concerend wit hthe $ figure (AIC is useless as it stands right now)

Continue to promote Nationals and work with other Comp Orgs to foster the sport and its various disciplines.

We can do so much more if USPA, the DZO's and General Membership all got on the same page.

larryskydives

Nov 13, 2006, 5:10 PM
Post #3 of 20 (1768 views)
Shortcut
Re: [matthewcline] I'd like to hear from the voters!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Matthew,

Good points!!!

Thank you for replying.

Larry

Premier wmw999  (D 6296)

Nov 13, 2006, 5:28 PM
Post #4 of 20 (1758 views)
Shortcut

I'd like to see a longterm statistical analysis of fatality trends, with an eye towards finding out if there are "missing links" that might lead us to the kind of decrease in fatalities that we saw with the gear changes of the early 80's.

Maybe attack them with a causal analysis program as well. At the very least, attack aircraft accidents that resulted in fatalities with a causal analysis program.

Wendy W.

larryskydives

Nov 13, 2006, 6:20 PM
Post #5 of 20 (1746 views)
Shortcut
Re: [wmw999] I'd like to hear from the voters!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Wendy,

Interesting!

Thank you for replying!

Larry

Premier PhreeZone  (D License)
Nov 13, 2006, 8:40 PM
Post #6 of 20 (1726 views)
Shortcut

I'd love to see a focus on the members of the USPA and not just the DZ's of the USPA. There are plenty of USPA members out there that jump at non-USPA DZ's that now have some of their options limited since the USPA penalizes those members dropzones. Those DZ's are prohibited from hosting rating courses unless they pay all the fees to become a Group Member. This is not penalizing the DZ, it is penalizing the individual members while they have nothing to do with the decision to join or not.

Put our dues to work for us and then show us how the dues are being spent. A new headquarters is great, but its better if you show that by building it you were able to increase productivity, or reduce costs or something.

larryskydives

Nov 13, 2006, 9:06 PM
Post #7 of 20 (1724 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PhreeZone] I'd like to hear from the voters!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Eric,

Thanks for the reply.

These replies have been great. This is what it is all about. Those of us that wish to serve on the BOD, nned to get these kinds of input. These have all been very valid points, and are inline with my thoughts as a USPA member.

Thanks again, and I sure would like yours and everyone else's support as a National Director.

On another note - I see the problems out there with Airport Access. What are everyone's thoughts as to Airport Access? How much emphasis do you believe should be put on access issues?

Thanks,
Larry Stapleton

CSpenceFLY  (D 25252)

Nov 14, 2006, 5:54 AM
Post #8 of 20 (1699 views)
Shortcut

The access that we are "guaranteed" is a load of crap.Look at the number of DZs that have lost the battle recently.What good is it to have guaranteed access when some podunk city counsel can make up unreasonable insurance requirements(Kansas City)or arbitrarily take your hanger away(Skydive Monroe)Of course it would help if some skydivers would quit acting like assholes when they are on the airports at night.You can be guaranteed that will come to an end as the feds take a closer look at small airport security.
The way the system works now,as soon as the airport gets the money they want from the Feds they can get rid of the skydivers if they want.If you think it can't happen to you,tell that to the DZs that have been displaced in the last few years.

stratostar  (Student)

Nov 14, 2006, 6:11 AM
Post #9 of 20 (1697 views)
Shortcut

When USPA kicks a DZ out for life, I think USPA should print for the public record, why they kick the DZ out of the GM for life, this way members who jump at those non GM DZ's will know why the DZ can't hold courses without paying the fees, and they will understand better how it was USPA stepped up to protect it's members, by kicking out DZ's that refuse to follow the BSR's and FAR"s and have a long history of doing so.

Maybe if USPA would tell the whole story, maybe less members would chose to support those EX-GM DZ's who have been banned for life.
And members who jump at those DZ's won't keep crying about how unfair it is to them to not be able to hold USPA events at their non USPA DZ without putting out some cash.

(This post was edited by stratostar on Nov 14, 2006, 9:44 AM)

rehmwa  (D 12816)

Nov 14, 2006, 7:39 AM
Post #10 of 20 (1684 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:
I'd like to ask those viewing this forum, what do want to see from the next BOD?
We have people asking what we believe, but I want to represent what the members want

I think this is needed to be done by candidates prior to the election so they can then put their platform out for our review. I ask candidates what their platforms are because the shorts written in the Parachutists don't give me an idea of that.

Asking now, without posting personal goals also, is weak. and backwards at this time.

I'm grateful you have been active in getting the feel of the membership, regardless. Good luck.

So, what are your goals, which areas do you want to be on committee, which areas are you concerned with that you might not have direct impact on this term but maybe later?

It's too late to ask us, it's time to put it on the line.

wildblue  (D 26027)

Nov 14, 2006, 2:01 PM
Post #11 of 20 (1639 views)
Shortcut
Re: [stratostar] I'd like to hear from the voters!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Quote:
When USPA kicks a DZ out for life, I think USPA should print for the public record...
I think that's a fantastic idea. Same should be done for jumpers who are kicked/have ratings pulled. None of this 'behind closed doors' BS they pull all the time.

MikeTJumps  (D 5957)

Nov 14, 2006, 7:55 PM
Post #12 of 20 (1598 views)
Shortcut
Re: [rehmwa] I'd like to hear from the voters!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Well, I hope you read my candidacy statement in both this board and the Parachutist, because in it, I outlined five major items that I feel are important to the membership; therein that is my platform!

stratostar  (Student)

Nov 14, 2006, 8:59 PM
Post #13 of 20 (1588 views)
Shortcut
Re: [wildblue] I'd like to hear from the voters!! [In reply to] Can't Post

That is just it, it is only "behind closed doors" for some people and for others they put it right out there., depends on who you are or who you know.

In some cases, the lack of the info and known facts made available to the members, is short changing the members. They (BOD) take the action on a member or GM and then don't want to talk in detail or in public/print about it.
Other peoples names do get printed and how much boot they got, but not what they did to get said boot.
It has been this way for many years,IMHO.

This could be the "good ol boy" network at work?
I would tend to say yes.
Could the term limits Larry has proposed be just the thing to keep from having such things going on?
Or is it we need less DZO's on the DOB and more "regular Joe's" running the show?

MakeItHappen

Nov 15, 2006, 7:01 AM
Post #14 of 20 (1561 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:
That is just it, it is only "behind closed doors" for some people and for others they put it right out there., depends on who you are or who you know.

In some cases, the lack of the info and known facts made available to the members, is short changing the members. They (BOD) take the action on a member or GM and then don't want to talk in detail or in public/print about it.
Other peoples names do get printed and how much boot they got, but not what they did to get said boot.
It has been this way for many years,IMHO.

This could be the "good ol boy" network at work?
I would tend to say yes.
Could the term limits Larry has proposed be just the thing to keep from having such things going on?
Or is it we need less DZO's on the DOB and more "regular Joe's" running the show?

The policy of not stating the reasons publically comes from Roberts Rules of Order.

stratostar  (Student)

Nov 15, 2006, 7:43 AM
Post #15 of 20 (1552 views)
Shortcut
Re: [MakeItHappen] I'd like to hear from the voters!! [In reply to] Can't Post

That is all fine and dandy, however when I was a young jumper, just like many others, had I been informed of the actions of a few DZO's, I wouldn't have gone there.

It wasn't till well after I found out the truth.
I went to these DZ's because they were GM DZ's.
When I pay for an instructor at a USPA GM DZ, I would have liked to have had a rated instructor.
Just like the many other students who went there.

You are keeping the truth from the membership and doing a huge disservice to us by doing so.

While as a student I ran into Ted Rose and hs brother in TX, they both hinted to the S.O.P. at the DZ (above) but wouldn't tell me the real truth, that they both knew the USPA GM DZ was famous for cutting corners and using non rated instructors and substandard AC maintaince.

I guess it was a well known fact with a lot of jumpers, yet eveyone kept it hushed up, and that is just fucked up to let people who don't know any better, go to attend a place that is so well known for not playing by the rules.

Whatever happened to keeping people safe from dishonest operators, oh thats right, they were a GM at the time.
So I as a due paying member and every other member, got lied to by those in the know and with the support of HQ.
That is a huge disservice to the membership, if someone is so out of line they are kicked out of USPA GM program for life, then the membership has a right to know, WHY ! Let the jumpers make up their own mind if they want to support the place, but don't hide the fact from them, they need to understand the safety problems a hand.

MakeItHappen

Nov 15, 2006, 10:24 AM
Post #16 of 20 (1523 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:
That is all fine and dandy, however when I was a young jumper, just like many others, had I been informed of the actions of a few DZO's, I wouldn't have gone there.

It wasn't till well after I found out the truth.
I went to these DZ's because they were GM DZ's.
When I pay for an instructor at a USPA GM DZ, I would have liked to have had a rated instructor.
Just like the many other students who went there.

You are keeping the truth from the membership and doing a huge disservice to us by doing so.

While as a student I ran into Ted Rose and hs brother in TX, they both hinted to the S.O.P. at the DZ (above) but wouldn't tell me the real truth, that they both knew the USPA GM DZ was famous for cutting corners and using non rated instructors and substandard AC maintaince.

I guess it was a well known fact with a lot of jumpers, yet eveyone kept it hushed up, and that is just fucked up to let people who don't know any better, go to attend a place that is so well known for not playing by the rules.

Whatever happened to keeping people safe from dishonest operators, oh thats right, they were a GM at the time.
So I as a due paying member and every other member, got lied to by those in the know and with the support of HQ.
That is a huge disservice to the membership, if someone is so out of line they are kicked out of USPA GM program for life, then the membership has a right to know, WHY ! Let the jumpers make up their own mind if they want to support the place, but don't hide the fact from them, they need to understand the safety problems a hand.

So are you complaining about something that happened 20 years ago or something more recent?
I do know that recently a RD went out of his way to get a non-GM DZ to use rated instructors. That DZ has come out of the dark ages and has rated instructors and more modern equipment.

Roberts Rules explains this much better than I could here. Your library will have a copy of it. Be sure to read the official Roberts Rules of Order and not one of the 'dummy' books.

(This post was edited by MakeItHappen on Nov 15, 2006, 11:13 AM)

skrovi  (D 29976)

Nov 15, 2006, 11:08 AM
Post #17 of 20 (1510 views)
Shortcut

OK, I'm a fairly inexperienced jumper. However, these are the things that I would like my candidate to possibly consider.
a) Each Dropzone should offer a mandatory Safety refresher training once a year and any jumper without a C or a D license should attend and logbook be signed off. This would in a small way improve the safety of the skydiving community as a whole. Its sirprizing to see some of the A & B licensed jumpers landing and canopy skills (mine included) can take a refresher on safety.
b)I would like to at least see once a year on the accomplishments of USPA for that calender year and how has that helped an average USPA member.

stratostar  (Student)

Nov 15, 2006, 12:03 PM
Post #18 of 20 (1498 views)
Shortcut
Re: [MakeItHappen] I'd like to hear from the voters!! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm speaking of my own exp. yet thinking of more recent then 20yrs ago,(APPX2000-01) I know of and have seen.
And found it strange and short changing the educating of jumpers as to why USPA did what it did.

However you did give an answer as to why, so thank you for your honest answer, I didn't mean to sound as if "to shoot the messenger" just explaining why I didn't agree, from my own personal exp. instead of telling other peoples storys.
thanks again for the answer.

Skymonkey2  (D 20527)

Dec 15, 2006, 5:54 PM
Post #19 of 20 (1329 views)
Shortcut

You are so right about this, check out my site and read my thoughts. airrageskydiving.com

In reply to:

A better run GM Program.

Keep Student training a USPA priority not hand it off to seperate organizations who have simular motives but are concerend wit hthe $ figure (AIC is useless as it stands right now)

Continue to promote Nationals and work with other Comp Orgs to foster the sport and its various disciplines.

We can do so much more if USPA, the DZO's and General Membership all got on the same page.

kallend  (D 23151)

Dec 17, 2006, 5:31 PM
Post #20 of 20 (1286 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:

A better run GM Program.

I'd like to add:

Continued availablity of affordable insurance.

Reserve repack cycle to 180 days.

Education program for the media to try to avoid inaccurate reporting.

Forums : Archive : 2006-2007 USPA BOD Elections

Search for (options)