First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

steve1  (D 23640)

Nov 9, 2006, 11:37 AM
Post #26 of 43 (889 views)
Shortcut
Re: [darkwing] watermelons [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
Hey, that's me! It was 1973, in Star, Idaho. reply]

Yep, that looks like the place. I dug out some of my old photos, from back in 1973, and they match up perfectly. Houses are all over many of those same hills today.

We played pass the pumpkin lately (over the prairies of North Dakota), and ended up chasin a couple. We never came close to keeping up with them....Steve1

kallend  (D 23151)

Nov 9, 2006, 12:31 PM
Post #27 of 43 (869 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:
Hey, that's me! It was 1973, in Star, Idaho. That watermelon wanted to fall way faster than us. I'd recommend a smaller melon if you try it. We were in a very clear area, so no threat to people/property. Photo by Crazy Ed Pancoast (May he rest in peace).

I note that you, 460, are a physicist too, like me.

I reckon that for 120mph you need about 6" diameter. Maybe a canteloupe would be better.

Nov 9, 2006, 1:09 PM
Post #28 of 43 (855 views)
Shortcut
Re: [stratostar] watermelons [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
Hey, that's me!
Quote:

Now thats funny. wonder where he found the photo.
460 where did you come across the photo?

http://www.cofc.edu/...gj/skydive_hist.html

I googled "skydive watermelon" and Jeff Wragg's website came up. I got the photo by searching the webpage for watermelon, dive #69, or as said in Chinese "tu kan chu."

stratostar  (Student)

Nov 9, 2006, 1:22 PM
Post #29 of 43 (847 views)
Shortcut
Re: [460] watermelons [In reply to] Can't Post

internet,Smile duh.Tongue

Andy9o8  (D License)

Nov 9, 2006, 1:49 PM
Post #30 of 43 (833 views)
Shortcut
Re: [wmw999] watermelons [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
Just his jumpsuit. Probably a white block on the knee for contrast. You'll notice that there's also a contrasting knee on the white leg; it's just dark. The white strips running under the boots are just elastics to hold the bottoms down.

Wendy W.

Yep, notice the French para-boots on the holder, too.
Looks like at least Darkwing's got a belly-wart. We could put a thought balloon over the holder's head: "Oh, shit, I forgot to hook up my reserve."

darkwing  (D 4164)

Nov 10, 2006, 2:35 AM
Post #31 of 43 (752 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Andy9o8] watermelons [In reply to] Can't Post

I am holding the melon. We were trying to pass it, but it was too fast for us. I am wearing French paraboots, which many of us old guys wish were still available. I am also wearing a piggyback rig. It was my first jump on a Paracommander, but not my first on a piggyback.

Pete Hill, still a skydiver of some notoriety in the northwest (and elsewhere) is closest to me. He is wearing a conventional rig, but then he was always slow to catch on to innovation.

The photo (and others) are availabile from my ego stroking, self-serving, skydiving history page I put together one day when I decided to look through all of my log books.

steve1  (D 23640)

Nov 10, 2006, 6:58 AM
Post #32 of 43 (710 views)
Shortcut

The photo (and others) are availabile from my ego stroking, self-serving, skydiving history page I put together one day when I decided to look through all of my log books.
There's nothing wrong with a little ego stroking. I figure that, how in the hell will anyone find out how famous I really am, unless I tell them...Unsure

Thanks for the photos....They bring back a ton of memories.

I need to get to know Pete Hill better. I heard that he can tell the best Wally Benton stories....Steve1

llkenziell  (A License)

Nov 10, 2006, 3:31 PM
Post #33 of 43 (651 views)
Shortcut
Re: [billvon] watermelons [In reply to] Can't Post

haha that sounds like fun. Don't know how much the DZ I jump at would appreciate it though....

JohnMitchell  (D 6462)

Nov 10, 2006, 10:02 PM
Post #34 of 43 (610 views)
Shortcut
Re: [vskydiver] watermelons [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
I think you might be dating yourself there dear. Wink
My profile shows 29 years in the sport. I'm already dated like a carton of bad milk.UnsureUnsureUnsureLaugh

jurgencamps  (D License)

Nov 11, 2006, 3:45 AM
Post #35 of 43 (597 views)
Shortcut
Re: [llkenziell] watermelons [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
haha that sounds like fun. Don't know how much the DZ I jump at would appreciate it though....

Lot's of DZ's will not allow it. Ask first.

Jurgen

ltdiver  (D 20506)

Nov 11, 2006, 8:43 AM
Post #36 of 43 (577 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jurgencamps] watermelons [In reply to] Can't Post

Jurgen? Dave Jurgen? Is that you?

ltdiver

jurgencamps  (D License)

Nov 12, 2006, 3:37 AM
Post #37 of 43 (509 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ltdiver] watermelons [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:

ltdiver

Jurgen Camps (Belgium)

zappman  (D 58)

Nov 12, 2006, 9:44 AM
Post #38 of 43 (477 views)
Shortcut

Quote:
Jurgen Camps (Belgium)
Belgium...the country were you cannot throw watermellons, bowlingballs, televisions or cats out of the planeFrown only people

(This post was edited by zappman on Nov 12, 2006, 9:45 AM)

ltdiver  (D 20506)

Nov 12, 2006, 9:45 AM
Post #39 of 43 (476 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:
In reply to:

ltdiver

Jurgen Camps (Belgium)

Sorry. Thought you might be a long lost skydiver I met YEARS ago in California. Tongue <you can now go about your business...Wink>

ltdiver

Thijs  (C License)

Nov 12, 2006, 10:44 AM
Post #40 of 43 (458 views)
Shortcut
Re: [zappman] watermelons [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
Quote:
Jurgen Camps (Belgium)
Belgium...the country were you cannot throw watermellons, bowlingballs, televisions or cats out of the planeFrown only people
I heared someone talk at our dz that some guy once threw a chicken out of the plane, and it survived!

Premier wmw999  (D 6296)

Nov 12, 2006, 11:19 AM
Post #41 of 43 (446 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Thijs] watermelons [In reply to] Can't Post

Quote:
I heared someone talk at our dz that some guy once threw a chicken out of the plane, and it survived! I heared someone talk at our dz that some guy once threw a chicken out of the plane, and it survived!
(warning: American old TV reference here).

But Arthur Carlson of WKRP of Cincinnati said, "As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly."

Quote:
It's a helicopter, and it's coming this way. It's flying something behind it, I can't quite make it out, it's a large banner and it says, uh - Happy... Thaaaaanksss... giving! ... From ... W ... K ... R... P!! No parachutes yet. Can't be skydivers... I can't tell just yet what they are, but - Oh my God, Johnny, they're turkeys!! Johnny, can you get this? Oh, they're plunging to the earth right in front of our eyes! One just went through the windshield of a parked car! Oh, the humanity! The turkeys are hitting the ground like sacks of wet cement! Not since the Hindenberg tragedy has there been anything like this!
LaughLaughLaugh

Wendy W.

bch7773  (C License)

Nov 13, 2006, 9:33 AM
Post #42 of 43 (359 views)
Shortcut
Re: [460] watermelons [In reply to] Can't Post

I've jumped with a pumpkin, oranges, onions.

Onions reallllly floated.
The oranges went at sitfly speeds.
The pumpkin went at headdown speeds.

DougH  (D License)

Nov 13, 2006, 12:32 PM
Post #43 of 43 (330 views)
Shortcut
Re: [bch7773] watermelons [In reply to] Can't Post

Do onions fall at belly speeds lol.. Tongue Wink

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Skydiving : General Skydiving Discussions

Search for (options)