Forums: Skydiving Disciplines: Wing Suit Flying:
Yves Rossy climbing with his jet powered wing

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

brokky

Oct 3, 2006, 2:10 PM
Post #1 of 64 (8131 views)
Shortcut
Yves Rossy climbing with his jet powered wing Can't Post

Not sure if this is the right section to post but since theres no aircraft section in this forum ,the wingsuit flying section was the next best option...
Last thursday ,Yves Rossy did a flight with his wing equiped with 4 jet engines.After a few training jumps with dummy engines (to simulate the weight and drag)he did a few flights with 2 engines.With those he was able to fly level and in formation with the porter.
Then he installed 2 more engines...,started the engines,exited the porter at 11000ft with the wings folded back,deployed the wings and then full throttle....the result :he was flying fast and climbing sometimes reaching 1000ft/min.,and just left the porter behind.
After 5 min. flight he shut down the engines,glided to pull altitude (about 6000ft) and deployed his big parachute.
All I can say is: respect to Yves .Hes been trying for years to get to this stage and this with limited support. Hope he finally finds a big sponsor to go on with his project .
Attachments: IMG_0011 copy 2.jpg (57.0 KB)
  IMG_0017 copy 2.jpg (71.9 KB)
  IMG_0028 copy 2.jpg (64.7 KB)
  IMG_0030 copy 2.jpg (50.5 KB)
  IMG_0012 copy 2.jpg (56.9 KB)

piisfish

Oct 3, 2006, 2:16 PM
Post #2 of 64 (8101 views)
Shortcut
Re: [brokky] Yves Rossy climbing with his jet powered wing [In reply to] Can't Post

YES !!!

Any video ??
Do you know when Yves will be back home ??
Just sent him a congratulations SMS on his mobile...

CHAMPAGNE !!!!!Smile

notsane  (D 9465)

Oct 3, 2006, 2:29 PM
Post #3 of 64 (8083 views)
Shortcut
Re: [brokky] Yves Rossy climbing with his jet powered wing [In reply to] Can't Post

Holy shit that's impressive!

Bring on the video!

brokky

Oct 3, 2006, 2:41 PM
Post #4 of 64 (8058 views)
Shortcut
Re: [piisfish] Yves Rossy climbing with his jet powered wing [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
YES !!!

Any video ??
Do you know when Yves will be back home ??
Just sent him a congratulations SMS on his mobile...

CHAMPAGNE !!!!!Smile

I called him today, he is already at work , flying his ( 2 engine...) Airbus.
Ive got some video,not really good...due to lack of room in the porter, I was the fireman ,videographer and photographer.Ill see if i can compress the video in the next days..

piisfish

Oct 3, 2006, 2:46 PM
Post #5 of 64 (8042 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:
Ive got some video,not really good...due to lack of room in the porter, I was the fireman ,videographer and photographer..
I know the job Angelic
easier to do only photo or video.

was there someone from Jetcat on the plane like "in my days"?? or were you alone with Yves and the pilot ?

Premier SkymonkeyONE  (D 12501)

Oct 3, 2006, 2:47 PM
Post #6 of 64 (8042 views)
Shortcut

That's incredibly cool!

dploi

Oct 3, 2006, 2:53 PM
Post #7 of 64 (8030 views)
Shortcut

Awesome! He's always been a relatively unsung hero of human body flight. People can argue all day about pure human flight vs rigid wings vs whatever, but I think that what matters most is the FEELING of flight, not the means to achieve it. Climbing and hitting these speeds with nothing more than some weight on your back has to feel amazing. Great work!

piisfish

Oct 3, 2006, 2:54 PM
Post #8 of 64 (8029 views)
Shortcut
Re: [SkymonkeyONE] Yves Rossy climbing with his jet powered wing [In reply to] Can't Post

just imagine the face of an AFF student on the same landing area... Must be priceless...

leroydb  (D 25743)

Oct 3, 2006, 2:57 PM
Post #9 of 64 (8022 views)
Shortcut
Re: [dploi] Yves Rossy climbing with his jet powered wing [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
Awesome! He's always been a relatively unsung hero of human body flight. People can argue all day about pure human flight vs rigid wings vs whatever, but I think that what matters most is the FEELING of flight, not the means to achieve it. Climbing and hitting these speeds with nothing more than some weight on your back has to feel amazing. Great work!

Well said!

piisfish

Oct 3, 2006, 2:58 PM
Post #10 of 64 (8021 views)
Shortcut
Re: [dploi] Yves Rossy climbing with his jet powered wing [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
but I think that what matters most is the FEELING of flight, not the means to achieve it. Climbing and hitting these speeds with nothing more than some weight on your back has to feel amazing. Great work!
I remember when I went flying with Yves in the Bcker (aerobatics biplane) I loved so much the feeling of the air, flying in a plane, but outside... Just imagine flying in a convertible JET Smile

And now I guess he has this incredible perma-smile glued to his face... SmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmile

brokky

Oct 3, 2006, 3:06 PM
Post #11 of 64 (8012 views)
Shortcut
Re: [piisfish] Yves Rossy climbing with his jet powered wing [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:

was there someone from Jetcat on the plane like "in my days"?? or were you alone with Yves and the pilot ?

Roman from Jetcat couldnt make it so Yves had to start the engines on his own. Skipete flew the plane (as usual).

piisfish

Oct 3, 2006, 3:10 PM
Post #12 of 64 (8001 views)
Shortcut

so there was plenty room inside the plane for you Tongue

He MUST do it again, and I'll be there to do additional video Angelic

brokky

Oct 3, 2006, 3:18 PM
Post #13 of 64 (7992 views)
Shortcut

Heres Yves website,

www.jet-man.com

piisfish

Oct 3, 2006, 3:20 PM
Post #14 of 64 (7989 views)
Shortcut

http://www.jet-man.com

let's hope he uploads the news soon Tongue

warpedskydiver  (Student)

Oct 3, 2006, 4:40 PM
Post #15 of 64 (7934 views)
Shortcut

That is simply awesome!
Wow what a rush that must beCool

droquette  (C 34946)

Oct 4, 2006, 12:11 PM
Post #16 of 64 (7548 views)
Shortcut
Re: [warpedskydiver] Yves Rossy climbing with his jet powered wing [In reply to] Can't Post

I just want to give mad props to Yves. I think what he is doing is absolutely incredible. I'd like to try it one day Sly

Costyn  (D 92506)

Oct 4, 2006, 11:12 PM
Post #17 of 64 (7440 views)
Shortcut

Very cool, respect to Yves!

piisfish

Nov 4, 2006, 8:34 AM
Post #18 of 64 (7143 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Costyn] Yves Rossy climbing with his jet powered wing [In reply to] Can't Post

next week should be productive in images Tongue

lurch  (D 27583)

Nov 6, 2006, 11:32 AM
Post #19 of 64 (6911 views)
Shortcut

Whoa.
That looks like the most transcendant flight experience imaginable. I wonder what it feels like when he begins to climb... If that was me I'd have been howling my lungs out.
Congratulations, Mr. Rossy. Someday I'll learn to fly like that.
-B

piisfish

Nov 10, 2006, 3:35 PM
Post #20 of 64 (6731 views)
Shortcut

hehehehhhhhh waw yes he climbs, did 3 flights today, there is impressive videos and photos...

here is a very low quality attachment just to give an idea of the fun we had
Attachments: CHV_1420_2.jpg (9.13 KB)

mccordia  (D 94775)

Nov 12, 2006, 5:28 AM
Post #21 of 64 (6630 views)
Shortcut

Is that Frank Versteeg in his Aerobatic Airplane?

piisfish

Nov 12, 2006, 6:43 AM
Post #22 of 64 (6620 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mccordia] Yves Rossy climbing with his jet powered wing [In reply to] Can't Post

no that was Daniel Koblet from Mobile Air Sevice, in Bex, Switzerland, on an Extra 200

piisfish

Dec 19, 2006, 1:36 PM
Post #23 of 64 (6370 views)
Shortcut

the video was on the french news tonight Smile
http://jt.france2.fr/20h/ from 34'10'' SmileSmile

enjoy

piisfish

Dec 20, 2006, 8:17 AM
Post #24 of 64 (6239 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Costyn] Yves Rossy climbing with his jet powered wing [In reply to] Can't Post

updates on http://www.jet-man.com with video and photos Wink

freeflysoul

Dec 20, 2006, 10:58 AM
Post #25 of 64 (6208 views)
Shortcut

Video on the main italian news today at 13.30! Smile

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Skydiving Disciplines : Wing Suit Flying

Search for (options)