Forums: Archive: 2006-2007 USPA BOD Elections:
BOD thoughts on the Group Membership Program?

Ron

Nov 8, 2006, 12:03 AM
Post #1 of 8 (1235 views)
Shortcut
BOD thoughts on the Group Membership Program? Can't Post

What are your thoughts on the GM program?

chriswelker  (D 19678)

Nov 9, 2006, 5:06 AM
Post #2 of 8 (1170 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Ron] BOD thoughts on the Group Membership Program? [In reply to] Can't Post

Could you be a little more specific?

Chris Welker
Southern Region Director

Ron

Nov 9, 2006, 9:06 AM
Post #3 of 8 (1146 views)
Shortcut
Re: [chriswelker] BOD thoughts on the Group Membership Program? [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
Could you be a little more specific?

Sure what do you think about it? Like or dislike it? What if anything do you want to do with it?

chriswelker  (D 19678)

Nov 11, 2006, 9:16 AM
Post #4 of 8 (1099 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Ron] BOD thoughts on the Group Membership Program? [In reply to] Can't Post

I like the fact that our association was able to assist a Group member like SkyDive Paris but on the other hand it was not able to help Gold Coast in Moss Point. With that being said it would be nice if USPA could be of service to DZ's like Gold Coast even when SAFETY concers are not being sited.

The biggest perceived problem with the Group Membership program is that dollar for dollar the Group Member gets more bang for their buck at the Indivdual Members expense, We need to make sure that the Group Membership Program is standing on it's own two feet. If it's not than it needs to be made to do so.

You asked the question and I gave you an answer. Hope it helps.

Chris Welker
Southern Region Director

Ron

Nov 12, 2006, 8:34 PM
Post #5 of 8 (1055 views)
Shortcut
Re: [chriswelker] BOD thoughts on the Group Membership Program? [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
We need to make sure that the Group Membership Program is standing on it's own two feet. If it's not than it needs to be made to do so.

You asked the question and I gave you an answer. Hope it helps.

Perfect, thanks.

Anyone else?

MakeItHappen

Nov 13, 2006, 8:14 AM
Post #6 of 8 (1027 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:
What are your thoughts on the GM program?

I wish it was part of PIA or some other organization instead of USPA because it would be more beneficial to the GMs and in turn to the individual USPA members.

A DZ trade organization would be much better because the organization would create programs and services that benefit the DZ.
Over the years I've heard new DZOs ask questions about the 'running the business' side of owning a DZ and then have a seasoned DZO sitting on the other side of me say that all that type of stuff could be found at the local SBA office. The local SBA office can answer some questions, but they do not have the expertise about airport access and FARs.
Insurance, AC maintenance, staff retention, pricing, marketing questions come up time and time again.
These issues are better dealt with by an agency that has DZOs as members and they are beyond the scope of USPA. The DZO Conference does help with some of the issues. USPA has decided to run the DZO Conference in conjunction with the PIA Symposium, because attendance was very low when they did not.

Another reason an independent organization would be better is the branding and marketing that DZs do with the 'We are a Group Member of USPA' slogan.
Nowadays, some DZs wave the USPA GM banner as though it was akin to a UL approval or AAA rating or Good Housekeeping seal of approval.
The USPA GM is more akin to a dentist that signs up with 1800 Dentist. You pay your money and we will refer people to you. Now USPA promotes a GM by a listing in the magazine and on their web site. But there is so much more that could be done that is beyond the mission of USPA. Things like cooperative ad campaigns on the internet and other extreme sports or aviation magazines.

USPA had a failed program called the VIP - Voluntary Inspection Program. It was destined to failure because it was not an independent agency doing the inspection and there was no reason to get inspected. DZOs could already market their GM status as a seal of approval.

There are many signs that DZOs may be ready for an organization of their own, but there are also many signs of lack of cooperation and bitterness. DZO type organizations have been tried several times before, dating back to the 70's, and they have all failed. It does not have to be that way. When DZOs, as a group, realize they could have much, much more than what the USPA GM program offers they will cooperate and create a new future for themselves.

tspillers  (D 21601)

Nov 14, 2006, 4:51 AM
Post #7 of 8 (974 views)
Shortcut
Re: [MakeItHappen] BOD thoughts on the Group Membership Program? [In reply to] Can't Post

I agree that this may be coming. The problem has always been the cost. There needs to be a staff (like USPA), but there isn't likely to be enough money or work to support full time staff.

On the other hand, as I have been involved with USPA, borad meetings, courses, etc. a consistent comment by DZO's is that USPA doesn't do anything for us (of course I get the same thing from jumpers that say USPA is just about the DZ's). Some people have said they would put the work in. I have mixed emotions, but ultimately think it would be a good idea to have an organization that is about the 'business' and one about the 'sport'.

Todd

NickDG  (D 8904)

Dec 20, 2006, 1:14 PM
Post #8 of 8 (841 views)
Shortcut
Re: [MakeItHappen] BOD thoughts on the Group Membership Program? [In reply to] Can't Post

>>USPA had a failed program called the VIP - Voluntary Inspection Program. <<

I remember that program and sent in my application to participate right away. But I added a few suggestions.

Instead of a pre-arranged inspection and someone walking around with a clipboard checking off things like;

Airplane mock-up, check.

Hanging harness, check.

Malfunction photos, check.

I wanted to go around and actually take first jump courses. Sort of like the Unknown Student. Bill Ottley and I talked it over rather seriously but I think I blew it when I asked to have Secret Agent printed on my membership card.

Seriously though, the state of instruction is a mystery big picture wise. The only ones who really know what goes on in that tucked away classroom are the students. I have sat in on many FJCs here in the U.S. and in some other countries, and I never pass a class in progress without doing a bit of eavesdropping. I've seen all kinds of classes.

There's the "comedy" FJC I saw in New Zealand that had the students, and me, rolling on the floor in tears of laughter. It was also a very effective class and didn't miss a thing. On the other hand I've seen some not so good ones. There was one guy whose class was delivered in such a monotonous way his students were actually nodding off. Another fellow was all doom and gloom and while he kept his student's attention he was scary them, and me, to death. I've seen the opposite as well, as in the - Don't worry, everything will be fine, FJC. That's a bad statement to make to a first jump student who could go up and have the worst malfunction that's possible to have.

I've also seen some courses that are way too DZ specific. Instructors need to remember they're training students to go out into the world at large.

Anyway the undercover program went by the wayside after we realized there's no way to enforce anything and I remember Bill mentioning I'd probably get punched in the nose hard and frequently . . .

NickD Smile
BASE 194

Forums : Archive : 2006-2007 USPA BOD Elections

Search for (options)