Forums: Archive: 2006-2007 USPA BOD Elections:
southeastern regional director write-in: eric deren :)

arlo  (D License)

Nov 5, 2006, 5:27 PM
Post #1 of 15 (1994 views)
Shortcut
southeastern regional director write-in: eric deren :) Can't Post

eric deren from team mandrin is running as a WRITE IN candidate for the southeastern regional director. please write him in...he's interfaced with the USPA on several occasions at BOD meetings this year.

in case some of you don't know eric, he's also one of the djs that played last night in thomaston at the boogie and a member of team mandrin (cover of this month's parachutist - nice shot raymond!!)

below is the letter i got from eric stating his intentions. :)

blues,
arlo

edited to add: i originally said that eric was the only one running, but he's not. so i wanted to make sure what i posted was accurate. thanks for that info in the PM!! sorry for the mistake...
======================================

So you already know that I've been working on developing VRW 4-Way as a USPA-supported discipline for national competition for almost two years now. At nationals, I was approached by several of the current directors. They made me aware that, not only was there nobody running for Regional Director in our region, but after their experiences with me and my work at the four most recent Board of Directors meetings, they wanted me to run as a "write-in" candidate for our region, with the agenda of pushing VRW 4-Way to the IPC as a member of the competition
committee.

Now, I am aware that I don't really need to be on the board in order to get VRW 4-Way into world competitions. But if ever there was a time for me to try to make positive change to the USPA as a director, it would be when other directors are asking me to run. After I got back home from Eloy, I spoke with Richard at length about the things he was trying to accomplish during his terms and I am willing to continue his work, in addition to the VRW 4-Way work.

I accepted the informal "nomination" and am running as a "write-in" this year. I'm not sure if you were planning to vote this year, but when you get your November issue of Parachutist, could you write me in and send it off? That would help a bunch! Letting anyone else know about my intent would be great! Thank you so much, Arlo! :-)

-Eric

(This post was edited by arlo on Nov 5, 2006, 6:19 PM)

MakeItHappen

Nov 5, 2006, 6:15 PM
Post #2 of 15 (1961 views)
Shortcut
Re: [arlo] southeastern regional director write-in: eric deren :) [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
eric deren from team mandrin is running as a WRITE IN candidate for the southeastern regional director. please write him in...there's no one else running and he's interfaced with the USPA on several occasions at BOD meetings this year.

in case some of you don't know eric, he's also one of the djs that played last night in thomaston at the boogie and a member of team mandrin (cover of this month's parachutist - nice shot raymond!!)

below is the letter i got from eric stating his intentions. :)

blues,
arlo
======================================

So you already know that I've been working on developing VRW 4-Way as a USPA-supported discipline for national competition for almost two years now. At nationals, I was approached by several of the current directors. They made me aware that, not only was there nobody running for Regional Director in our region, but after their experiences with me and my work at the four most recent Board of Directors meetings, they wanted me to run as a "write-in" candidate for our region, with the agenda of pushing VRW 4-Way to the IPC as a member of the competition
committee.

Now, I am aware that I don't really need to be on the board in order to get VRW 4-Way into world competitions. But if ever there was a time for me to try to make positive change to the USPA as a director, it would be when other directors are asking me to run. After I got back home from Eloy, I spoke with Richard at length about the things he was trying to accomplish during his terms and I am willing to continue his work, in addition to the VRW 4-Way work.

I accepted the informal "nomination" and am running as a "write-in" this year. I'm not sure if you were planning to vote this year, but when you get your November issue of Parachutist, could you write me in and send it off? That would help a bunch! Letting anyone else know about my intent would be great! Thank you so much, Arlo! :-)

-Eric

Eric would be great for the BOD.
He has a mission.
BTW, Eric can you make the vrw events just like the FS events?
Just add in another pool and event.
Will the vrw speed event be 8-way or 10-way or something else?
Are you going to have classes of open, intermediate and advanced?
Is 4-way and 8-way going to be 10 rounds?
Is n-way speed 6 rounds?

Kool picture on the cover too.
Sara said that was the way all the vidiots did it now. Headdown and chin tucked in.
None of that flipping up & down that we saw last year.

(This post was edited by MakeItHappen on Nov 5, 2006, 6:26 PM)

mark  (D 6108)

Nov 5, 2006, 6:15 PM
Post #3 of 15 (1960 views)
Shortcut
Re: [arlo] southeastern regional director write-in: eric deren :) [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
[T]here's no one else running...

Mike Gruwell is also running. I know, because I read this dropzone.com forum.

All candidates from the Southeast region are running as write-ins. There is no one on the ballot because the incumbent chose not to run, and no one else collected enough signatures.

Mark

arlo  (D License)

Nov 5, 2006, 6:20 PM
Post #4 of 15 (1952 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mark] southeastern regional director write-in: eric deren :) [In reply to] Can't Post

thanks for that. sorry for the inaccuracy. i edited my original post. i hope that clears it up...my mistake. Blush

blues,
arlo

ederen  (D 24269)

Nov 5, 2006, 6:49 PM
Post #5 of 15 (1934 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mark] southeastern regional director write-in: eric deren :) [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you for posting that, Arlo.

To anyone else reading this thread, I want to make it clear that I believe that Mike Gruwell would do a great job on the board if elected. I have my agenda and he has his, and I believe that both agendas are forward-thinking and timely for the 2007-2008 USPA board term.
I'm hoping to be elected, but if Mike wins I'm hoping that by running 'against' him, at least the 'competition' of the write-in votes raises skydiver awareness of the USPA election processes.

Also, Mike, I still owe you $10. :-)

-Eric

(This post was edited by ederen on Nov 5, 2006, 6:50 PM)

ederen  (D 24269)

Nov 5, 2006, 7:01 PM
Post #6 of 15 (1930 views)
Shortcut
Re: [MakeItHappen] southeastern regional director write-in: eric deren :) [In reply to] Can't Post

> Just add in another pool and event.
>Will the vrw speed event be 8-way or 10-way or
> something else?
> Are you going to have classes of open,
> intermediate and advanced?
> Is 4-way and 8-way going to be 10 rounds?
> Is n-way speed 6 rounds?

Intermediate VRW 4-Way is planned for 2007, created the same way as FS, by removing certain formations from the dive pool. A preliminary 8-way dive pool was created for and jumped at this year's nationals after 4-Way was complete, with two pick-up teams. I believe that everyone who participated in 8-way had a great time... I know I did... but that event might be a little way down the road.

Folks have been talking about 10-way speed, I don't know what the consensus is but I'm sure at some point there will be a forum for deciding that. We should probably look long and hard at why 10-way FS was created, and see if those reasons still apply today, just to make sure that there is a pool of competitors that are going to train for the event.

-Eric

chutingstar  (D 19956)

Nov 5, 2006, 7:09 PM
Post #7 of 15 (1927 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ederen] southeastern regional director write-in: eric deren :) [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
Thank you for posting that, Arlo.

To anyone else reading this thread, I want to make it clear that I believe that Mike Gruwell would do a great job on the board if elected. I have my agenda and he has his, and I believe that both agendas are forward-thinking and timely for the 2007-2008 USPA board term.
I'm hoping to be elected, but if Mike wins I'm hoping that by running 'against' him, at least the 'competition' of the write-in votes raises skydiver awareness of the USPA election processes.

Also, Mike, I still owe you $10. :-)

-Eric

Man Eric...I would vote for you...but that debt, ya know. :-)

And yes, Eric good luck to you as well. I know you would do well as the Southeast Regional Director too. And if I get it, I will of course help further your effort with VRW.

See you this weekend at the farm,
Mike

ntacfreefly

Nov 5, 2006, 8:48 PM
Post #8 of 15 (1910 views)
Shortcut
Re: [chutingstar] southeastern regional director write-in: eric deren :) [In reply to] Can't Post

Mike,

We have a pretty good idea of what Eric's agenda is (4 way vrw, etc). Anyway, as I suspect either of you would be a good board member I'm wondering who I should vote for. Mind passing along what your goals would be if elected?

Thanks!
Blues,
Ian

chutingstar  (D 19956)

Nov 6, 2006, 5:09 AM
Post #9 of 15 (1888 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ntacfreefly] southeastern regional director write-in: eric deren :) [In reply to] Can't Post

Hey Ian,

My focus would be on continuing education for instructors, improving the communication between our southeastern S&TAs, increasing new jumper interest and retention, continuting to work on getting rid of the skyride spam web sites and helping dropzones with airport access issues.

There are already threads/info on what I plan to do at these links:

http://www.dropzone.com/...;;page=unread#unread

http://www.chutingstar.com/archives/00000124.html

http://www.skydivethefarm.com/...abid/61/Default.aspx

Hope that helps,
Mike

littleskycrab  (B 29391)

Nov 6, 2006, 3:56 PM
Post #10 of 15 (1837 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ederen] southeastern regional director write-in: eric deren :) [In reply to] Can't Post

Being a low # jumper, VRW is not something that I really understand at the moment. Therefore my question to you, Eric, is (stolen from Shimmel's post to Mike):

1. what are your views on the current AFF evaluation program? for AFF candidates, "instructors".

2. what are your views on student retention?

3. what are your views on tandem passenger safety? and tandem instructor education?

4. If you win, what do you expect that you will have to do? there are some very large DZ's in our region, and there are some smaller ones. what can you do to help both?

5. without going into to much details, what is your views on skyride?

I think both of you guys are wonderful, however I guess I need to know both of your views on the aforementioned topics. I've read Mike' posted information, however, Eric, I haven't seen anything on your views (outside VRW).

Blues!Smile
Nicci

ederen  (D 24269)

Nov 6, 2006, 5:03 PM
Post #11 of 15 (1826 views)
Shortcut
Re: [littleskycrab] southeastern regional director write-in: eric deren :) [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
1. what are your views on the current AFF evaluation program? for AFF candidates, "instructors".

Before I answer this question, there is one thing I'd like to clarify about the current responsibilities of USPA Regional Directors. Most of the decision-making is accomplished in committees. Each director is a member of two or at most three committees that deal with certain issues. These committees are, in alphabetical order:

Competition
Constitution and Bylaws
Executive Committee
Finance & Budget
Group Membership
Membership Services
Nominations and Elections
Regional Directors
Safety and Training

Most directors sit on less than three committees, because of the workload involved and because a number of them meet concurrently at the Board of Directors meetings.

So, if I were on Comp committee and say, Group Membership, I would probably never sit in on the Safety and Training meetings and therefore would not be a part of such a discussion.

If you are asking me my personal opinion about the current AFF evaluation program, I can give that to you privately, but the reality is that I will never have to deliver that opinion in a public setting on the board. Take a look at the bottom of http://www.uspa.org/contact/bod.htm for a breakdown of who sits on what committee.
Quite honestly, my specialty and focus is the conception, documentation and dissemination of rules for competition. I'm good at a few other things Wink, but I would not consider my strong points to be best used on the Safety & Training committee. If elected, I will work with the directors at large to determine how and on which committees my specialties can be best used by the board.

In reply to:
2. what are your views on student retention?

This is something that concerns all of us, and a lot of money is being spent by the USPA right now trying to solve this problem and others involving building membership numbers. I intend to have a moderate approach to all of this... I will always lean towards spending time to research things and find solutions before spending money on efforts with dubious results.

In reply to:
3. what are your views on tandem passenger safety? and tandem instructor education?

This is another Safety & Training question, and not one that I feel I will ever have to give an opinion on publicly. Contact me privately if you want my off-the-record stance on this.

In reply to:
4. If you win, what do you expect that you will have to do? there are some very large DZ's in our region, and there are some smaller ones. what can you do to help both?

The biggest issue I can address as a regional director is communicating the needs and suggestions of the average jumper to the USPA BoD. The USPA does many things, but it does two things really well... keeping up the fight for airport access and maintaining the 3rd party liability insurance. These are things that, like the BSRs, benefit everyone, large and small DZ alike. As soon as a member in this region determines that there is something else that the USPA can do well that would benefit all, as a director, I would hope they tell me, so I can relay that information to the board. That would be my job, if elected.

In reply to:
5. without going into to much details, what is your views on skyride?

People that know me well know that I have some pretty strong feelings about this, as does anyone who is paying attention to it. However, this issue has moved past the self-regulating USPA realm and into the legal realm, and this issue is fairly out of the board's hands now. Any promises from me to actually DO something about this on the board would be misplaced and in the realm of me just telling you what you want to hear to get elected.

I hope this post has answered your questions. Regarding Safety & Training, there are some really talented, experienced, and dedicated people on that committee. You should come to the next BoD and meet them, perhaps even sit in the gallery during their meeting. I guarantee every person reading this post could learn something there.

Blue Skies!

-Eric

(This post was edited by ederen on Nov 6, 2006, 6:43 PM)

Revillusion  (A 17017)

Nov 6, 2006, 6:53 PM
Post #12 of 15 (1808 views)
Shortcut

Quote:
Quite honestly, my specialty and focus is the conception, documentation and dissemination of rules for competition.

and

Quote:
The biggest issue I can address as a regional director is communicating the needs and suggestions of the average jumper to the USPA BoD. The USPA does many things, but it does two things really well... keeping up the fight for airport access and maintaining the 3rd party liability insurance. These are things that, like the BSRs, benefit everyone, large and small DZ alike. As soon as a member in this region determines that there is something else that the USPA can do well that would benefit all, as a director, I would hope they tell me, so I can relay that information to the board. That would be my job, if elected.

Thank you Eric for being forthright and honest about this. Letting people know what facet of the job you are truly interested in, rather than telling people what you hope they want to hear is upstanding my friend.

rehmwa  (D 12816)

Nov 7, 2006, 11:02 AM
Post #13 of 15 (1762 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:
Before I answer this question, there is one thing I'd like to clarify about the current responsibilities of USPA Regional Directors. Most of the decision-making is accomplished in committees. Each director is a member of two or at most three committees .....I would probably never sit in on the Safety and Training meetings and therefore would not be a part of such a discussion.........If you are asking me my personal opinion

I think that's exactly what we do with our reps. Whether you sit the committe or not, you have an additional venue to talk to the committee members about their areas. As a regional director especially, I would say it's still a responsibility to be vocal about areas that might not be on your assigned committees.

With that, I'd think you would want to answer with your positions publicly rather than privately.

I think a stated list of goals to work directly on is GREAT (VRW being one that I'm also excited about).

But also, those topics you also hope to influence during full board meetings and discussions with other reps it's good to know which way the rep leans.

I'm interested in both sphere of control AND sphere of influence.

(Thanks for the honesty in your description of how the reps operate though.)

ederen  (D 24269)

Nov 7, 2006, 11:38 AM
Post #14 of 15 (1756 views)
Shortcut
Re: [rehmwa] southeastern regional director write-in: eric deren :) [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
I would say it's still a responsibility to be vocal about areas that might not be on your assigned committees.

If we were discussing quantum physics, and Richard Feynman was in the room, I'd be quiet and see what I can learn, so that I could relay it to other people. When I am in a room listening to someone speak who had 400 round jumps by my 1st birthday (I am 32) talk about safety and training, trust me, I will not be vocal about those areas, but I will learn as much as possible by listening so that I can relay that information to other people.

I may not be the best at this part of the "running for election" game because I won't answer questions that aren't my specialty. Why would I pretend to intelligently answer questions about tandem instructor training programs when I have neither been a tandem passenger nor a tandem instructor? Do you feel this precludes someone from being a good director? But I can and will help someone find the answers to their questions. I find that helping in this way is more valuable than pretending to know everything... knowing what you don't know and forwarding the requests to the correct source is far more valuable.

If you want to read good answers to the questions I haven't answered, check out Gary Peek's page at http://www.skydivestlouisarea.com/election.htm. I agree with his answers to those questions. :-)

In reply to:
But also, those topics you also hope to influence during full board meetings and discussions with other reps it's good to know which way the rep leans.

I lean towards the person making the most sense... which is usually not the person in the room talking the loudest.

Blue Skies!

-Eric

marks  (D 22296)

Nov 7, 2006, 12:33 PM
Post #15 of 15 (1746 views)
Shortcut

Quote:
I lean towards the person making the most sense... which is usually not the person in the room talking the loudest.

Laugh

Forums : Archive : 2006-2007 USPA BOD Elections

Search for (options)