Forums: Archive: 2006-2007 USPA BOD Elections:
What is going on here?

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

matthewcline  (D 21585)

Oct 26, 2006, 7:14 PM
Post #1 of 47 (3425 views)
Shortcut
What is going on here? Can't Post

Besides Chris, Mike and Ed, who is running? and what are they planning on doing for us in the USPA?

I suppose then, if the Candidates don't think an open discussion with potential voters is worth their time, they would not be surprised when we don't vote for them?

Unsure

peek  (D 8884)

Oct 27, 2006, 6:21 PM
Post #2 of 47 (3313 views)
Shortcut
Re: [matthewcline] What is going on here? [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
Besides Chris, Mike and Ed, who is running? and what are they planning on doing for us in the USPA?

I suppose then, if the Candidates don't think an open discussion with potential voters is worth their time, they would not be surprised when we don't vote for them?

No one has sent the candidates a message telling them that the BOD election forum is active. There are only a few of us that frequent dropzone.com.

Of course, some of the candidates and BOD members simply won't answer anyone's questions at all.

I will respond to questions but haven't decided yet how I am going to do it. Two years ago I put a web page on a web site with answers to questions, so they were all in the same place, and made a link to it. That's probably how I will do it.

matthewcline  (D 21585)

Oct 28, 2006, 7:11 PM
Post #3 of 47 (3269 views)
Shortcut
Re: [peek] What is going on here? [In reply to] Can't Post

For effort alone I would give you a vote.
As well as the few others who post here.Smile

I just do not see why the BOD would not at least quietly monitor the dz.com forums t oget a feel for what the USPA membership wants.

It should only be an added benifit of modern tech to stay informed.

MakeItHappen

Oct 30, 2006, 2:28 PM
Post #4 of 47 (3191 views)
Shortcut
Re: [matthewcline] What is going on here? [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:

Unsure

I am running for National Director.

In the past two terms (4 years) of being on the USPA BOD I have served on the Safety and Training, Membership Services and Constitution and By-Laws Committees.

The S&T and the Competition Comm. are the big two committees. You can only be on one or the other.
Some of the things USPA has done recently to enhance the S&T of jumpers and instructors is to add the AIC to some rating requirements.
We also continually revise the SIM and IRM. No one can really claim that 'that change was mine' because it is a group effort. Someone may spearhead a change, but it often gets revised by the time it makes the final document.
One problem that was changed at the last BOD meeting was the currency, foreign equivalency and challenge to the instructional courses. See the latest SIM for the new rules.
If you have specific questions about recent changes, I'd be happy to answer them.

Membership Services is a very busy committee that is involved with the 3rd party liability and demo insurance. A few years ago USPA almost lost the insurance completely. At the 11th hour we managed to find a workable deal and not raise membership rates. About $10-12 of your annual renewal fee goes to the insurance company. We also may be able to self-insure ourselves in the next year or two.

MS also is involved with the merit and tenure awards. USPA cut several awards a year ago. The CRW wards were also cut, but I did not vote to nix them. Then at the following meeting, the CRW awards were reinstated. Yippee! Go CRW-dawgs. I worked with Wendy Faulkner and Tom Courbat to help save the CRW awards.
I also think the D-license requirement for FF badges and #jumps awards ought to be eliminated.

A new demo insurance requirement of 1000 jumps was added recently because many of the demo claims were from less experienced jumpers.

C&B is not very active. It was when I first got on it. We wanted to change the rules regarding the constituency of the BOD. The second proxy vote was not publicized or explained enough in the magazine and failed. The rules about the signatures that RD candidates need to collect still need to be changed. We still need to re-appropriate the regions. Some regions are much larger, population-wise, than other regions. Perhaps, in the coming year(s) we will be able to change these things.

Along these lines, electronic voting is somewhere in the pipeline. I think it has been stalled for some reason, unknown to me. That is one thing I'd like to see implemented in the next term.

I am not on the Comp Comm, nor do I plan to be. But I am deeply involved with competition. Last year I was the controller for the S&A events at Nationals. There was even an issue that had to go to the jury. The rules were changed at the next meeting to clarify the rule, but as it turns out, that same issue came up this year.
I was on the jury at Nationals the year before. A jumper missed his plane and claimed he never heard his number called. Turned out he was right. His number was not on the manifest sheet that was read out by the manifester.
Also my involvement with Omniskore keeps me up to date with the competition rules - weird as they may be at times.
Also at this Nationals I learned that there is some plan underway to have remote competitions and have judges judge remotely. I showed the Comp Comm Chair my prototype team training tool and said it could be used for that purpose too. I think the freeze frame requirement might be relaxed if a time stamp can be associated to the judge pressing a button.

Airport access is also another important issue. I helped Skydance Skydiving long before I was a BOD member. I even was quoted in the paper. The situations in DeLand and Eloy are a big concern too. Local politicians running amuck seems to be a nationwide problem.

I support open communication between members and the BOD. I even maintain a email forwarder to all BOD directors. I set up a forum for BOD members to discuss issues amongst themselves, but it died from lack of interest. I agree with the thousands of members that say the USPA web site navigation sucks. I've tried for years to get that changed. I might have had a small breakthrough recently. The Executive Director asked me about it. Small steps is better than no steps

There are many other things I do that make their way into the knowledge base for skydivers, even if it's not USPA related. Many articles from SPSJ have been reprinted here and there. The most recent issue of Australian Skydiver Magazine carries a reprint of Can you Fall Out of a Properly Fastened Harness?

I also participate here at DZ.com, as time permits.
Last week while I was at Nationals, I did not even have time to read posts.
Those long days at Eloy were well worth it because I saw and chatted with the members. I even added a TV display feature of the scoreboard to Omniskore, it's like the monitors you see at airports listing arrivals and departures. Ok - that wasn't a BOD duty. It was more like a request from Larry. I think you should vote for people that do stuff like that for the membership and do it quickly.

JENNR8R  (D 29001)

Oct 30, 2006, 8:20 PM
Post #5 of 47 (3165 views)
Shortcut
Re: [MakeItHappen] What is going on here? [In reply to] Can't Post

It would be helpful if your name was in your profile or at the bottom of your post.

matthewcline  (D 21585)

Oct 31, 2006, 5:30 AM
Post #6 of 47 (3142 views)
Shortcut
Re: [JENNR8R] What is going on here? [In reply to] Can't Post

She is well known amongst the "older" jumpers, but yes that would help with the "newer" jumpers.

I think if the BOD isn't willing to reach out to where most of its membership is actively talking skydiving each day, then they really aren't looking out for the members of the organization, but just them selves.

Some post here regularly, occasionally and through a family member or SO. That is fine buy me. But when I ask a BOD member some thing and they look like a deer in the head lights, with all the forms of information and communication today I see no reason not to be up to date.

I have sent many an idea on membership retention and new member solicitation. I hope that some in one form or another will take to the sky. But, as of yet, nothing. At least from the National Level.

2jumphi  (D 4755)

Nov 5, 2006, 7:33 PM
Post #7 of 47 (3001 views)
Shortcut

[I also think the D-license requirement for FF badges and #jumps awards ought to be eliminated.

Why do you think that FF Badges and #jumps awards should be eliminated? Have you asked the members about this?
boCrazy

NelKel  (D 25024)

Nov 5, 2006, 7:43 PM
Post #8 of 47 (2996 views)
Shortcut
Re: [JENNR8R] What is going on here? [In reply to] Can't Post

It would be helpful if your name was in your profile or at the bottom of your post.

I would agree for a person running for office.

Her name is Jan, and her picture is on page 26 of Nov. 2006 parachutist mag. I hope this helps you when considering your vote.

Premier PhreeZone  (D License)
Nov 5, 2006, 7:54 PM
Post #9 of 47 (2994 views)
Shortcut
Re: [2jumphi] What is going on here? [In reply to] Can't Post

If I read Jan's statement right she feels the D licence requirement needs to be scrapped, not the actual awards. Smile

MakeItHappen

Nov 5, 2006, 8:41 PM
Post #10 of 47 (2985 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:
[I also think the D-license requirement for FF badges and #jumps awards ought to be eliminated.

Why do you think that FF Badges and #jumps awards should be eliminated? Have you asked the members about this?
boCrazy

Hi Bob,
Hey it is the requirement to hold a d license in order to be eligible for the FF and-or jumps awards that needs to be revised, not the awards themselves.

I've had several people ask me about this and it also comes up at almost every BOD mtg by someone, somewhere in the nation.

I still don't *get* why it is a requirement.
I mean if you do 1000 jumps you ought to eligible for the 1000 jump award - no matter what your license level is.
1000 jumps is 1000 jumps.
same with the FF time awards.
One thing I can see, is not counting tandem or SL jumps because the old rules said they were not *real* jumps.
But today those are counted toward licenses.
So can they count towards the awards?

Do you regret clearing me off student status?

2jumphi  (D 4755)

Nov 6, 2006, 7:46 AM
Post #11 of 47 (2957 views)
Shortcut

Hi Bob,
Hey it is the requirement to hold a d license in order to be eligible for the FF and-or jumps awards that needs to be revised, not the awards themselves.

OK, I get it now.Crazy

Do you regret clearing me off student status?

sometimes.Wink

pms07  (D 7571)

Nov 6, 2006, 7:44 PM
Post #12 of 47 (2900 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:
In reply to:

I've had several people ask me about this and it also comes up at almost every BOD mtg by someone, somewhere in the nation.

I mean if you do 1000 jumps you ought to eligible for the 1000 jump award - no matter what your license level is.

Jan,

Bill Ottley claimed credit for the idea...apparently license fees were a minor profit center. That was the story he told me over a few drinks anyway...many years ago. I don't recall the BOD meeting where it came up anymore though.

Years ago you could get a JM or I, be an ASO, compete at nationals and do just about everything except (maybe...) get an I/E with only a C license. So, many never bothered with the D as they already had the C and could save a few $. So, Ottley surmised he could generate a minor profit by making the potential Gold Wingers get a D license.

It worked on me anyway. I went over to Bill Jones' house and did the paperwork for both...then sent the D license application in with my gold wings application back in 1981...

Pat

MakeItHappen

Nov 6, 2006, 8:37 PM
Post #13 of 47 (2888 views)
Shortcut
Re: [pms07] What is going on here? [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:

Jan,

Bill Ottley claimed credit for the idea...apparently license fees were a minor profit center. That was the story he told me over a few drinks anyway...many years ago. I don't recall the BOD meeting where it came up anymore though.

Years ago you could get a JM or I, be an ASO, compete at nationals and do just about everything except (maybe...) get an I/E with only a C license. So, many never bothered with the D as they already had the C and could save a few $. So, Ottley surmised he could generate a minor profit by making the potential Gold Wingers get a D license.

It worked on me anyway. I went over to Bill Jones' house and did the paperwork for both...then sent the D license application in with my gold wings application back in 1981...

Pat

I see.
So maybe the SIM 8.2.C should be changed from:

1. To be eligible for any of these awards a person must:

a. have completed the required number of freefall skydives or accumulated the required amount of freefall time

b. have made each jump being presented as qualification in compliance with the USPA BSRs

c. be a current USPA member at the time of application for the award

d. be the holder of a current USPA D license or its accepted foreign equivalent

e. have no record of a BSR violation on file with USPA

f. have met the requirements of the previous award

to:

a. have completed the required number of freefall skydives or accumulated the required amount of freefall time

b. have made each jump being presented as qualification in compliance with the USPA BSRs

d. pay USPA $50 bucks if you don't have a D license. We want your money.

Nice hearing from you, Pat.

ZigZagMarquis  (D License)

Nov 7, 2006, 6:41 AM
Post #14 of 47 (2861 views)
Shortcut

*sigh*

The USPA nickel & dime'ing its membership for this and that every time you send in for or renew is something that irks me too, but that, as they say, is a different story... err... thread...

I dunno, my "first blush" on this was, "Hey, I had to have a D-License to get my awards so all them youngin's comin' up should have to do that too", kinda like Night Jumps for a D-License, which I still think they should have to do, but, for this, looking past that... how about this...

d. be the holder of a USPA A, B, C or D - License.

Anyhow... glad its USPA Election Season... its good to hear from the Regional Candidates and BOD members...

(This post was edited by ZigZagMarquis on Nov 7, 2006, 6:49 AM)

CSpenceFLY  (D 25252)

Nov 7, 2006, 7:39 AM
Post #15 of 47 (2845 views)
Shortcut

In case no one has noticed money is behind a lot of stuff that goes on in politics.Look at how the coaches rating has been implemented.

Nov 7, 2006, 9:03 AM
Post #16 of 47 (2837 views)
Shortcut
Re: [CSpenceFLY] What is going on here? [In reply to] Can't Post

Very true. I've heard more then one very experienced jumper say they got their coach rating so they could do coach jumps and not charge for it... in-order to "pass on" some skills, knowledge and help to a newbie like they got for free when they were coming up.

rehmwa  (D 12816)

Nov 7, 2006, 10:55 AM
Post #17 of 47 (2821 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ZigZagMarquis] What is going on here? [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
Very true. I've heard more then one very experienced jumper say they got their coach rating so they could do coach jumps and not charge for it... in-order to "pass on" some skills, knowledge and help to a newbie like they got for free when they were coming up.

REALLY? Is there really DZs that won't let experienced jumpers go up with a newbie unless they hold a COACH rating? NUTS

I wasn't thrilled either with the emergence of the PRO rating.

Nov 7, 2006, 12:38 PM
Post #18 of 47 (2813 views)
Shortcut
Re: [rehmwa] What is going on here? [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
Is there really DZs that won't let experienced jumpers go up with a newbie unless they hold a COACH rating?

Don't know about that specifically and I'd suppose it would vary from DZ to DZ, but like I said, I've heard more then one high time jumper that has been in it for two-digit years say they got their coach rating so they could do coach dives and not charge for it.

2jumphi  (D 4755)

Nov 7, 2006, 3:19 PM
Post #19 of 47 (2788 views)
Shortcut

Sound like the new USPA rating system isn't working.
Lot's of changes made, but have they polled the member and the rating holders about these changes? I know the old system worked well and there were a lot of students. Is there a relationship?

What are your feelings?

Nov 7, 2006, 4:20 PM
Post #20 of 47 (2776 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:
Sound like the new USPA rating system isn't working.
Lot's of changes made, but have they polled the member and the rating holders about these changes? I know the old system worked well and there were a lot of students. Is there a relationship?

What are your feelings?

Well, Bob... IMO... when the USPA went from setting standards on "what to teach" students to "how to teach students" is when things took a wrong turn and its been band-aid, band-aid, band-aid... since. Same thing, different words, I'm not a fan of taking someone, supposedly giving them a rating or saying they're qualified to do a certain job, asking them to do said job and then turning around and telling them how to do the job... why then were they supposedly qualified to do that job? ... you either take an experienced, trained and qualified person to do a job, ask them to do it and let them do it OR you tell them how to do it, not both, in short, that's what I think the USPA is doing, asking JMs / Instructors (what ever they're calling them these days) asking them to do a job and then changing things up on them and telling them how to do it... as "management" this tends not to "impress" your workers. "Micro-management" is the term some would use.

Anyway, this is part of why I gave up on wanting to be a JM and just want to skydive.

... but we're getting way off the original topic which was whether its a good idea or not to require folks to hold a D-License in order to get a USPA Award. Wink

(This post was edited by ZigZagMarquis on Nov 7, 2006, 5:33 PM)

pms07  (D 7571)

Nov 7, 2006, 6:10 PM
Post #21 of 47 (2760 views)
Shortcut

*sigh*
The USPA nickel & dime'ing its membership for this and that every time you send in for or renew is something that irks me too, but that, as they say, is a different story... err... thread...

In reply to:
ZZM,
Well, to be fair to the USPA, this all happened 25 years ago or longer. And of course Ottley is dead...

Nov 7, 2006, 10:52 PM
Post #22 of 47 (2740 views)
Shortcut
Re: [pms07] What is going on here? [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
*sigh*

In reply to:
ZZM,
Well, to be fair to the USPA, this all happened 25 years ago or longer. And of course Ottley is dead...

... soooo, you're saying the USPA has a long history of nickel & dime'in its membership?? Crazy

mark  (D 6108)

Nov 8, 2006, 5:45 AM
Post #23 of 47 (2721 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:
... soooo, you're saying the USPA has a long history of nickel & dime'in its membership?

The USPA has a long history of trying to balance programs paid for out of general funds (like membership dues) against programs paid for out of fees charged just to the users of each particular program.

If you think there should be no charge for a pet program I care little about, you are really asking me to pay for something I don't use. What's fair about that?

How much of an increase in dues would you support to make manuals "free?" How much of an increase in dues would you support to make instructional rating renewals "free?" How much of an increase in dues would you support to make PRO rating administration "free?" How about making gold wings "free?" Collegiate nationals registration? Nationals registration?

Mark

Nov 8, 2006, 6:18 AM
Post #24 of 47 (2713 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mark] What is going on here? [In reply to] Can't Post

True enough, but I don't think the fact that the USPA nickel and dimes their membership is what is at contention here... we've shown that the USPA does it and has done it for a long time... rather, I think the point (or points) of contention is what the membership is getting (what "service") for all those nickels and dimes we send in. Same thing, different words, if the membership is going to shell out $$ to the USPA, then we'd better be able to comment on and at times effect a change to the service we get... not just shuffled along and told "that's the way it is." <back on topic> For example, in Jan's orig, she posed why is it you have to be a USPA D-License to be eligible for Awards? Well, folks have commented and you would seem to agree Mark that its because of all the $$ that the USPA has collected from said person by the time they get their D-License, thus, the USPA can fund that Awards program. Okay, fair enough, certainly it takes $$ to do work, thus, then should it be:

d. be a holder of a USPA D-License... OR... be a holder of a USPA C-License + $50... OR... be a holder of a USPA B-License + $100... OR be a holder of a USPA A-License + $150... we want your money!

Actually... now that I think about this... I think I'm going to get around to putting in for the Awards I'm eligible for now that I've hit 3000 jumps and have 47+ hours of freefall time... I got my 12-Hour Freefall Badge and Gold Wings a ways back, but haven't bothered with any of the Awards since then, but heck, I should, I've been paying the USPA $$ in membership fees since as well as the $$ for my A thru D Licenses over the years, I ought to get something for it besides a magazine. Wink

(This post was edited by ZigZagMarquis on Nov 8, 2006, 6:24 AM)

Premier PhreeZone  (D License)
Nov 8, 2006, 9:21 AM
Post #25 of 47 (2686 views)
Shortcut

All the awards past the Gold wings and Freefall badge are a pay as you go award. They are no longer free.

I do like the requirement of eliminating the D, but I would like to see it reduced to C or higher. The 12 hours is actually able to be reached in sub 500 jumps now with Wingsuit flyers so there is the possibility for them to be able to get the 12 hour badge before they can even get their D now.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Archive : 2006-2007 USPA BOD Elections

Search for (options)