Forums: Community: Blue Skies - In Memory Of:
Brian Schubert

kenz  (Student)

Oct 21, 2006, 5:14 PM
Post #1 of 16 (3701 views)
Shortcut
Brian Schubert Can't Post

I did not know Brian, however after reading about this incident I felt the need to start a thread for condolences, since there hadn't been one yet.

I am truly sorry to hear about this incident, and am praying for all of his family and friends, and for those that witnessed this today.

Blue Skies Brian

Premier NWFlyer  (D License)

Oct 22, 2006, 8:00 AM
Post #2 of 16 (3511 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kenz] Brian Schubert [In reply to] Can't Post

His is a very interesting story, and this thread was fascinating to watch as it unfolded, as Brian Schubert and Mike Pelkey (believed to be the first guys to jump El Cap) reconnected with the modern BASE community. It's a shame that reconnection had to end so darkly.Unsure

bloody_trauma  (B License)

Oct 22, 2006, 8:09 AM
Post #3 of 16 (3496 views)
Shortcut
Re: [NWFlyer] Brian Schubert [In reply to] Can't Post

BSBD Beer!

pug  (Student)

Oct 22, 2006, 12:19 PM
Post #4 of 16 (3391 views)
Shortcut
Re: [NWFlyer] Brian Schubert [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
His is a very interesting story, and this thread was fascinating to watch as it unfolded, as Brian Schubert and Mike Pelkey (believed to be the first guys to jump El Cap) reconnected with the modern BASE community. It's a shame that reconnection had to end so darkly.Unsure

Going through the thread, and reading the closing statement from his daughter at the end, really emphasises the tragedy of this event. Frown

My heart goes out to his family and friends.

Gravitymaster  (D License)

Oct 22, 2006, 12:57 PM
Post #5 of 16 (3340 views)
Shortcut
Re: Brian Schubert [In reply to] Can't Post

BS/BD Fly Free!!

freeflir29  (D 10000000)

Oct 22, 2006, 2:05 PM
Post #6 of 16 (3268 views)
Shortcut

Sorry to hear it...........I wish BASE wasn't so damned dangerous. Unimpressed

kelel01  (A License)

Oct 22, 2006, 5:23 PM
Post #7 of 16 (3125 views)
Shortcut

Blue skies, Brian. Seeing you on that platform was inspirational. Frown

McDuck  (C 35093)

Oct 23, 2006, 3:55 AM
Post #8 of 16 (2878 views)
Shortcut

Fly free forever, Brian.

brianfry713  (D 28665)

Oct 23, 2006, 12:08 PM
Post #9 of 16 (2554 views)
Shortcut

My prayers and condolences to Brian's family and friends and everyone who was with him at the bridge on Saturday.

stitch  (C License)

Oct 23, 2006, 2:46 PM
Post #10 of 16 (2440 views)
Shortcut

BSBD.

tbrown  (D 6533)

Oct 23, 2006, 6:40 PM
Post #11 of 16 (2323 views)
Shortcut
Re: [stitch] Brian Schubert [In reply to] Can't Post

With all the sensationalistic reporting going on, I am pleased to say that at least National Public Radio had a very sensitive story on Brian's death. Noah Adams, one of NPR's best reporters was covering Bridge Day and actually interviewed Brian just minutes before he jumped. Anyone who would like to listen to this story, as well as the entire interview with Brian, which was edited down for the story, can find both at www.npr.org and I encourage you to do so, you will be impressed with the fairness, respect, and sensitivity they showed him.

(This post was edited by tbrown on Oct 23, 2006, 6:40 PM)

livendive  (D 21415)

Oct 23, 2006, 7:19 PM
Post #12 of 16 (2293 views)
Shortcut
Re: [tbrown] Brian Schubert [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
With all the sensationalistic reporting going on, I am pleased to say that at least National Public Radio had a very sensitive story on Brian's death. Noah Adams, one of NPR's best reporters was covering Bridge Day and actually interviewed Brian just minutes before he jumped. Anyone who would like to listen to this story, as well as the entire interview with Brian, which was edited down for the story, can find both at www.npr.org and I encourage you to do so, you will be impressed with the fairness, respect, and sensitivity they showed him.

Thanks for pointing that out. That was just about the best reporting I've seen, read, or heard regarding a fatality in BASE or skydiving. While the TV interview of Bob re: Shannon's death was more intimate and detailed, they had time and an eye-witness on their side who knew the sport and loved the person (and Bob's composure was absolutely amazing).

Blues,
Dave

(This post was edited by livendive on Oct 23, 2006, 7:19 PM)

ryoder  (D 6663)

Oct 23, 2006, 7:49 PM
Post #13 of 16 (2265 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:

A clicky to avoid having to search the site:

http://www.npr.org/....php?storyId=6369946

skydiver51  (F License)

Oct 23, 2006, 8:08 PM
Post #14 of 16 (2252 views)
Shortcut

In the sport of skydiving we never know which will take us first age or skydiving. I wish I could have stayed in the sport as long as Brian.

Blues Forever Brian. Frown

murrays  (C 1285)

Oct 23, 2006, 9:06 PM
Post #15 of 16 (2227 views)
Shortcut

That was about as good as reporting could be on an incident of this nature. For them to say that fatalities were "rare" at this event gave it perspective that is never seen in most main stream reporting.

This is so sad on so many levels. I am so sorry for Brian, Brian's family, Mike Pelkey and everybody else who knew him and who was there at Bridge day. My condolences to all.

Premier TomAiello  (D 22400)
Oct 25, 2006, 5:34 PM
Post #16 of 16 (1777 views)
Shortcut

Memorial information here.

Forums : Community : Blue Skies - In Memory Of

Search for (options)