Forums: Skydiving: Safety and Training:
Type-1 Diabetics and skydiving

xavenger  (A 1)

Sep 18, 2006, 12:58 PM
Post #1 of 5 (694 views)
Shortcut
Type-1 Diabetics and skydiving Can't Post

I was chatting to a Type-1 Diabetic this evening who has done a tandem and is very keen on going through AFF and so I just wanted to check something out ..

Are you a Type-1 Diabetic, or do you know a jumper who is? I am just trying to get a feel for any special considerations - assuming that this person is given consent by their doctor.

Does adrenaline increase glucose metabolism in a way that would potentially be more problematic for a Type-I Diabetic? (I doubt it to any serious extent)

i.e. If someone's blood sugar checks out OK shortly before a skydive - are they good to go, or are there any other considerations that I haven't thought of?

Sorry if these are silly questions!

ladyskydiver

Sep 18, 2006, 2:12 PM
Post #2 of 5 (670 views)
Shortcut
Re: [xavenger] Type-1 Diabetics and skydiving [In reply to] Can't Post

Lots of threads on it.

Maybe these threads will be able to answer your questions. Smile

steveorino  (D 26782)

Sep 20, 2006, 7:24 AM
Post #3 of 5 (560 views)
Shortcut
Re: [xavenger] Type-1 Diabetics and skydiving [In reply to] Can't Post

Our chief classroom instructor is type I. Darn good skydiver and AFFI. Freaks a few students out when he checks his blood then shoots up. I wish he'd do that more on the down low.CrazyUnsure

Eric "Spanky" Hadley is his name. Contact him at Skydive Airtight in Skiatook, OK
918.396.PULL

Sockpuppet  (Student)

Sep 20, 2006, 2:01 PM
Post #4 of 5 (528 views)
Shortcut
Re: [steveorino] Type-1 Diabetics and skydiving [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
Our chief classroom instructor is type I. Darn good skydiver and AFFI. Freaks a few students out when he checks his blood then shoots up. I wish he'd do that more on the down low.CrazyUnsure

Eric "Spanky" Hadley is his name. Contact him at Skydive Airtight in Skiatook, OK
918.396.PULL

Why? I know a few diabetic and I dont get freaked out about them.

steveorino  (D 26782)

Sep 20, 2006, 4:14 PM
Post #5 of 5 (513 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Sockpuppet] Type-1 Diabetics and skydiving [In reply to] Can't Post

My best guess is they're nervous about skydiving and their ignorance of skydiving is now compunded by their ignorance of diabetes and the maintenaince therein.Crazy

Forums : Skydiving : Safety and Training

Search for (options)