Forums: Skydiving: Gear and Rigging:
(USA) Is a rig "current" on the 120th day after it was packed?

Poll: (USA) Is a rig "current" on the 120th day after it was packed?
Yes 45 / 78%
No 5 / 9%
Depends on what time it is... 8 / 14%
58 total votes

fcajump  (D 15598)

Aug 31, 2006, 11:27 AM
Post #1 of 9 (943 views)
Shortcut
(USA) Is a rig "current" on the 120th day after it was packed? Can't Post

For example - A rig packed on Jan 1st... is it good on May 1st (non-leap year) or is it one day out of date?

I know what I was taught, what were you?

JW
Smile

riggermick  (D 17071)

Aug 31, 2006, 12:06 PM
Post #2 of 9 (899 views)
Shortcut
Re: [fcajump] (USA) Is a rig "current" on the 120th day after it was packed? [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
For example - A rig packed on Jan 1st... is it good on May 1st (non-leap year) or is it one day out of date?

I know what I was taught, what were you?

JW
Smile

Just like insurance policies it expires at midnight on the 120th day.

Mick.

ZigZagMarquis  (D License)

Aug 31, 2006, 12:47 PM
Post #3 of 9 (850 views)
Shortcut
Re: [riggermick] (USA) Is a rig "current" on the 120th day after it was packed? [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
Just like insurance policies it expires at midnight on the 120th day.

Mick.

Midnight Zulu time or midnight Local time... what if the owner changes time zones from the one the rigger packed it in... or even crosses the international date line, they could loose or gain a day... TongueCrazyLaugh

mjosparky  (D 5476)

Aug 31, 2006, 12:48 PM
Post #4 of 9 (847 views)
Shortcut
Re: [fcajump] (USA) Is a rig "current" on the 120th day after it was packed? [In reply to] Can't Post

It is out of date at the start of day 121.

No matter where the rig is. But you can't cross the IDL in the US.

(This post was edited by mjosparky on Aug 31, 2006, 12:49 PM)

ZigZagMarquis  (D License)

Aug 31, 2006, 12:52 PM
Post #5 of 9 (842 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mjosparky] (USA) Is a rig "current" on the 120th day after it was packed? [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
It is out of date at the start of day 121.

No matter where the rig is. But you can't cross the IDL in the US.

Hey! Anybody up for midnight night jumps the day prior their reserve is due for a repack... i.e. exit the aircraft just before midnight when your reserve repack expires... Smile ... so your reserve repack expires while in freefall...

popsjumper  (D 999999999)

Sep 1, 2006, 6:16 AM
Post #6 of 9 (646 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ZigZagMarquis] (USA) Is a rig "current" on the 120th day after it was packed? [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
...Hey! Anybody up for midnight night jumps the day prior their reserve is due for a repack... i.e. exit the aircraft just before midnight when your reserve repack expires... Smile ... so your reserve repack expires while in freefall...

Oh my Lord! Would I be able to use the reserve if I needed it? Would I be facing a choice of death or jail?
Does the reserve self-destruct a midnight or turn into a pumpkin?
Oh, the possibilities.

LaughLaughWink

riggerrob  (D 14840)

Sep 4, 2006, 8:37 AM
Post #7 of 9 (485 views)
Shortcut
Re: [popsjumper] (USA) Is a rig "current" on the 120th day after it was packed? [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
...Hey! Anybody up for midnight night jumps the day prior their reserve is due for a repack... i.e. exit the aircraft just before midnight when your reserve repack expires... Smile ... so your reserve repack expires while in freefall...

Oh my Lord! Would I be able to use the reserve if I needed it? Would I be facing a choice of death or jail?
Oh, the possibilities.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Many old-school riggers believe that there is a secret clock-work mechanism built into the diaper (free bag for you young pups) which automatically locks 121 days after the repack.

They also believe that Cypri frizzle and do weird stuff 12 years plus 3 months plus 1 day after the are manufactured. This confuses me, because a 13 year old Cypres has been quietly sitting on my shelf ... sitting quietly .. doing nothing ...
Does the frizzling process only occur inside reserve containers?
I am so confused!!!!!
Will someone please explain?

LaughLaughWink

rigger_john  (C 101098)

Sep 4, 2006, 10:06 AM
Post #8 of 9 (473 views)
Shortcut
Re: [riggerrob] (USA) Is a rig "current" on the 120th day after it was packed? [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:

Yes and only if they are in free fall and exposed to the air. Tongue

fcajump  (D 15598)

Sep 5, 2006, 3:09 PM
Post #9 of 9 (400 views)
Shortcut
Re: [riggerrob] (USA) Is a rig "current" on the 120th day after it was packed? [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:

Oh, the possibilities.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Many old-school riggers believe that there is a secret clock-work mechanism built into the diaper (free bag for you young pups) which automatically locks 121 days after the repack.

They also believe that Cypri frizzle and do weird stuff 12 years plus 3 months plus 1 day after the are manufactured. This confuses me, because a 13 year old Cypres has been quietly sitting on my shelf ... sitting quietly .. doing nothing ...
I am so confused!!!!!
Will someone please explain?

LaughLaughWink

No... modern systems use a low-pressure activated system that begins a slowly desolving acid container. The acid will be loosed 120 days +/- 1 day from when the rigger crushes the seal on the thread... TongueWink

Unfortunatley in this area my airshow pilots have feds at the briefing at every show... and some of them know what a pack-data card is...Wink

Being pilots they don't want to pay for a repack before the HAVE to, but can't afford the fine for getting caught with an out of date rig in the plane that they just arrived in... (rumor is $1000 per flight with the rig since it went out...)

Hence the discussion of "is it still good?" on the LAST possible date.

JW

Forums : Skydiving : Gear and Rigging

Search for (options)