Forums: Skydiving: Gear and Rigging:
(another...) quick Javelin sizing question.

brabzzz  (C 103268)

Aug 11, 2006, 5:21 AM
Post #1 of 13 (883 views)
Shortcut
(another...) quick Javelin sizing question. Can't Post

I'm 6'2/3ish (probably a more than average amount of that in the legs) and ~180lb, so not exaclty a barrel chested rugby player.

Is a C18 odyssey gonna fit? What can i measure on me that'll help me determine this a bit better - what exactly does that 18 refer to?

Cheers for any tips!

Premier skybytch  (D License)

Aug 11, 2006, 7:26 AM
Post #2 of 13 (834 views)
Shortcut
Re: [brabzzz] (another...) quick Javelin sizing question. [In reply to] Can't Post

The 18 refers to the main lift web measurement (MLW).

Take your height in inches, subtract your inseam (crotch to floor) in inches, subtract 20. The result will be what MLW Javelin will likely fit you.

Example - I'm 5'8" (68") with a 33" inseam. 68-33-20=15 - a 15" MLW should (and does) fit me.

brabzzz  (C 103268)

Aug 11, 2006, 4:09 PM
Post #3 of 13 (782 views)
Shortcut
Re: [skybytch] (another...) quick Javelin sizing question. [In reply to] Can't Post

Cheers of that - a handly little rule of thumb regarding the mlw! Smile

Zeemax

Aug 11, 2006, 5:19 PM
Post #4 of 13 (767 views)
Shortcut
Re: [brabzzz] (another...) quick Javelin sizing question. [In reply to] Can't Post

you've pretty musch described the exact size that i am and i jump a Jav with a C18 harness, which was sized for me, so yes, it should fit like a glove Smile

Squeak  (E 1313)

Aug 11, 2006, 6:59 PM
Post #5 of 13 (754 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Zeemax] (another...) quick Javelin sizing question. [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
you've pretty musch described the exact size that i am and i jump a Jav with a C18 harness, which was sized for me, so yes, it should fit like a glove Smile
Be carefull with that.
I'm 5'9" and have a 21" lift web,, I have ducks disease though

AND LISA your legs are way too long girl, my iseam is 29" and I'm an inch taller than youLaughLaughLaugh

(This post was edited by Squeak on Aug 11, 2006, 6:59 PM)

riggermick  (D 17071)

Aug 12, 2006, 1:58 AM
Post #6 of 13 (737 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Squeak] (another...) quick Javelin sizing question. [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
Be carefull with that.

AND LISA your legs are way too long girl, my iseam is 29" and I'm an inch taller than youLaughLaughLaugh

Does this mean that you, (gasp) A Woman is actually admitting that you are a "little" heavier than you are?
This can't be true, say it ain't so! Oh ,,,,you've shattered my vision of you!Frown Oh well! But hey, buy me a drink and we'll be back on track!!SlySlySlySly.

Mick.Wink

ZigZagMarquis  (D License)

Aug 12, 2006, 7:59 AM
Post #7 of 13 (720 views)
Shortcut
Re: [skybytch] (another...) quick Javelin sizing question. [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
The 18 refers to the main lift web measurement (MLW).

Take your height in inches, subtract your inseam (crotch to floor) in inches, subtract 20. The result will be what MLW Javelin will likely fit you.

Example - I'm 5'8" (68") with a 33" inseam. 68-33-20=15 - a 15" MLW should (and does) fit me.

*confused look*

I thought your MLW length was determined by the measurement from that "soft spot" (or "hole") at the bottm of your neck to one of your hip bones??

Or is it just different manufacturers do it differently??

(This post was edited by ZigZagMarquis on Aug 12, 2006, 8:00 AM)

riggermick  (D 17071)

Aug 12, 2006, 10:57 AM
Post #8 of 13 (711 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ZigZagMarquis] (another...) quick Javelin sizing question. [In reply to] Can't Post

I thought your MLW length was determined by the measurement from that "soft spot" (or "hole") at the bottm of your neck to one of your hip bones??

Or is it just different manufacturers do it differently??

Exactly!!!

Mick.

Premier skybytch  (D License)

Aug 12, 2006, 2:51 PM
Post #9 of 13 (701 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ZigZagMarquis] (another...) quick Javelin sizing question. [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:

I've never worked in container manufacturing, so I don't know how they figure it out. I only know how I figured out roughly what size MLW would fit customers when I was selling used gear over the phone and/or internet.

The formula I gave above works great for getting a rough idea of what size MLW will fit someone. Doesn't work exactly for every body shape or every container manufacturer and it doesn't take leg strap or lateral length into account. But it's a good starting point for those looking for used rigs.

Squeak  (E 1313)

Aug 12, 2006, 11:40 PM
Post #10 of 13 (690 views)
Shortcut
Re: [riggermick] (another...) quick Javelin sizing question. [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:
Be carefull with that.

Does this mean that you, (gasp) A Woman is actually admitting that you are a "little" heavier than you are?
This can't be true, say it ain't so! Oh ,,,,you've shattered my vision of you!Frown Oh well! But hey, buy me a drink and we'll be back on track!!SlySlySlySly.

Mick.Wink
Umm well I'm about to shatter your vision of me even more..I'M A DUDE not a girlLaughLaughLaughLaugh

riggermick  (D 17071)

Aug 13, 2006, 9:20 PM
Post #11 of 13 (652 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Squeak] (another...) quick Javelin sizing question. [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:
Be carefull with that.

Mick.Wink
Umm well I'm about to shatter your vision of me even more..I'M A DUDE not a girlLaughLaughLaughLaugh

OH No!! Arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh (running away).

Sorry "dude" Always thought you were a chick! My badBlushBlush

Mick.

Squeak  (E 1313)

Aug 14, 2006, 1:26 AM
Post #12 of 13 (636 views)
Shortcut
Re: [riggermick] (another...) quick Javelin sizing question. [In reply to] Can't Post

LaughLaughLaughLaughLaugh

mjosparky  (D 5476)

Aug 14, 2006, 11:06 PM
Post #13 of 13 (595 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:
Umm well I'm about to shatter your vision of me even more..I'M A DUDE not a girl

Don't believe everything you read on the internet.Smile

Forums : Skydiving : Gear and Rigging

Search for (options)