Forums: Skydiving: Gear and Rigging:
Changing colors....

adventurechick  (C 35899)

Jul 12, 2006, 3:49 PM
Post #1 of 11 (843 views)
Shortcut
Changing colors.... Can't Post

This isn't that important to me, but just wondering if it can be done. My main and reserve flaps are red and yellow. Is there anyway I could sew some fabric on top of it to make it like pink and purple?

Any thoughts on this?

mjosparky  (D 5476)

Jul 12, 2006, 3:57 PM
Post #2 of 11 (835 views)
Shortcut
Re: [adventurechick] Changing colors.... [In reply to] Can't Post

Any time you buy used make sure the harness is the right size, the canopies are the right size and the colors are something you can live with.

If any of the above are wrong it will be a sore spot you will have to deal with every time you jump it for as long as you own it.Tongue

adventurechick  (C 35899)

Jul 12, 2006, 4:15 PM
Post #3 of 11 (818 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mjosparky] Changing colors.... [In reply to] Can't Post

I love my rig, but I was just wondering if I could get creative with it. If not, totally cool.

justinb138  (B 28762)

Jul 12, 2006, 4:17 PM
Post #4 of 11 (815 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:
I love my rig, but I was just wondering if I could get creative with it. If not, totally cool.

Technically it could be done, but it's no where near worth the cost or trouble it would take to do it. Wink

DrewEckhardt  (D 28461)

Jul 12, 2006, 5:08 PM
Post #5 of 11 (778 views)
Shortcut
Re: [justinb138] Changing colors.... [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

Technically it could be done, but it's no where near worth the cost or trouble it would take to do it. Wink

With some manufacturers wanting $1500-$2000 for a new rig, a few hundred to them parts and labor for replacement flaps is a screaming deal.

Some manufacturers will make rigs from fabric provided by you.

Also note that without a rigging rating you can't legally modify your main & reserve containers.

CloudOnMyTongue  (B 5475)

Jul 12, 2006, 7:43 PM
Post #6 of 11 (721 views)
Shortcut

Go to the website of your rig manufacture. Mine is a Vector, and I downloaded the price list. You can replace each flap on your rig for a price.

ZigZagMarquis  (D License)

Jul 12, 2006, 7:56 PM
Post #7 of 11 (710 views)
Shortcut
Re: [CloudOnMyTongue] Changing colors.... [In reply to] Can't Post

CloudTongue... this is true, kinda pricey and usually best done by the manufacturer themselves...

mjosparky  (D 5476)

Jul 13, 2006, 12:53 AM
Post #8 of 11 (654 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:

Anything in life is possible if you throw enough money at it. Go to this site and check under rigging and repair.

http://www.sunpath.com/

JerryBaumchen  (D 1543)

Jul 13, 2006, 11:28 AM
Post #9 of 11 (534 views)
Shortcut

Hi adventurechick,

If you are in Orlando you are only about an hour away from Sunpath. Take the to rig to them and see what they say; take $$$ with you.

Jerry

PS) You might get to see just what it takes to build a rig from scratch. That you should find educational.

rehmwa  (D 12816)

Jul 13, 2006, 11:43 AM
Post #10 of 11 (528 views)
Shortcut

Heck, we had a local purchase a rig on-line (used, not sure if via this website or not) a couple years ago. His rigger got it and discovered it had been spray painted black.

You can do anything to a rig. But best to check with the manufacturer or a good rigger about cosmetic mods and how to implement them. I'd think what you want to do is doable, but doing anything around the harness or reserve isn't worth it if you don't know exactly what will compromise the servicability of the emergency system.

ZigZagMarquis  (D License)

Jul 13, 2006, 3:50 PM
Post #11 of 11 (485 views)
Shortcut

Yeah, A-Chick, take your Jav on over to SunPath if you live there in Fld and check see what it would take for them to mod it for you and then write us a little "book report" about your field trip to the factory... Tongue

But seriously, a though I just had was, since your rig is a Javelin, and you want to add some "pink & purple" to it, a way of doing that with out taking any flaps off and replacing them would be to change out the cap on the reserve pilot cute for a pink one w/ purple tape; if you call ahead, they may have one on hand at the factory and do it while you wait. Smile

Why don't you post a picture of your rig so we can see what it looks like now... a lot of us probably have the "basic black" style rig... Wink

(This post was edited by ZigZagMarquis on Jul 13, 2006, 3:52 PM)

Forums : Skydiving : Gear and Rigging

Search for (options)