Forums: Skydiving: Safety and Training:
A very unusual distraction on landing...

peek  (D 8884)

Jul 11, 2006, 7:40 AM
Post #1 of 11 (1704 views)
Shortcut
A very unusual distraction on landing... Can't Post

Most motorcyclists can relate to this one.

I was doing my usual hook turn and swoop landing with my small canopy, and had just planed out, going quite fast, and this large bug smacks me in the chest!

Well, the natural reaction when something like that happens is to rub your chest and go "ouch", but that wasn't an option.

Sometimes you just have to tough it out on landing. Don't let yourself be distracted top the point of crashing.

ChrisL  (C 35323)

Jul 11, 2006, 7:44 AM
Post #2 of 11 (1689 views)
Shortcut
Re: [peek] A very unusual distraction on landing... [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:

I was doing my usual hook turn and swoop landing with my small canopy, and had just planed out, going quite fast, and this large bug smacks me in the chest!

Well, the natural reaction when something like that happens is to rub your chest and go "ouch", but that wasn't an option.

Sometimes you just have to tough it out on landing. Don't let yourself be distracted top the point of crashing.

I have no face shield when I ride. I get bugs in my face all the time.
Sometimes it hurts like a bastard Smile

Just goes with the territory Wink

Brains  (D License)

Jul 11, 2006, 9:53 AM
Post #3 of 11 (1557 views)
Shortcut

Funny story, well to me at least. I was at Skydive Aggieland and Amy Chemlecki was there organizing. I was standing out by the swoop lane taking video when she was about 3/4 thru her turn and i heard her squeal. Then on plane out she was saying "ooooooo I hit a bug!"LaughLaughLaugh

mfrese  (D 20145)

Jul 11, 2006, 10:02 AM
Post #4 of 11 (1548 views)
Shortcut

I was flying a demo Velo 120 this past weekend, and did a nice carving 180 (no wind, 500' MSL, 93 F). Didn't quite make the "swoop course" gates, ended up a little to the right swooping through the dried grass and weeds. Suddenly felt a sharp pain right below my right knee and popped up a little to clear the grass.

When I stopped, I had a quarter-inch chunk hanging loose, with the offending weed end still attached. I'd been weed-whacked! Shocked

Lesson learned: long pants when jumping demo canopies. Blush

AggieDave  (D License)

Jul 11, 2006, 10:10 AM
Post #5 of 11 (1535 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Brains] A very unusual distraction on landing... [In reply to] Can't Post

Quote:
Funny story, well to me at least. I was at Skydive Aggieland and Amy Chemlecki was there organizing. I was standing out by the swoop lane taking video when she was about 3/4 thru her turn and i heard her squeal. Then on plane out she was saying "ooooooo I hit a bug!

Should have been around two summers ago during the REALLY bad Lovebug invest in the area. Be sure to wear goggles/glasses on every hop-n-pop since when you swooped you'd hit swarms of them. It was as bad as riding a motorcycle. You'd start your turn, start getting close to plane out then hit 50 of the little annoying things.Unsure

Armour666  (B 30794)

Jul 11, 2006, 11:33 AM
Post #6 of 11 (1470 views)
Shortcut

June bugs are the worst and taste really bad ,

tdog  (D 28800)

Jul 11, 2006, 2:00 PM
Post #7 of 11 (1403 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:

Last week I was going 50.... A bird, not a bug - with same outcome.... Ouch.

crotalus01  (B 28932)

Jul 11, 2006, 4:45 PM
Post #8 of 11 (1327 views)
Shortcut
Re: [tdog] A very unusual distraction on landing... [In reply to] Can't Post

amen.... i got a wasp to the leg at 80MPH on my bike. still have the scar...Pirate

ZigZagMarquis  (D License)

Jul 12, 2006, 7:20 PM
Post #9 of 11 (1072 views)
Shortcut

Ah! That's nothing... reportedly... years ago... there was a female instructor at a certain high-desert SoCal DZ that used to like to go out to the student target in the summer and do ground topless... now that distraction... Tongue err... distractions... Blush

mangledspoon  (D License)

Jul 15, 2006, 2:37 AM
Post #10 of 11 (854 views)
Shortcut

On my 11th jump, I had an off-dropzone landing near a bunch of cows, and roughly at flare point, I noticed two cows going at it nearby.... that was pretty distracting!

Squeak  (E 1313)

Jul 15, 2006, 8:51 AM
Post #11 of 11 (835 views)
Shortcut
Re: [crotalus01] A very unusual distraction on landing... [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
amen.... i got a wasp to the leg at 80MPH on my bike. still have the scar...Pirate
I had a Bee sting me in the face doin 50mph, that sucked big time, I slammed the brakes on stopped the bike ripped of my helmet and did this big song and dance routine on the side of the road..I looked back and there was 7 cars all nearly run up each other back end 'cuase some idiot slmmmed their bike brakes on sudenly and nearly caused a pile up LaughLaughLaugh

Forums : Skydiving : Safety and Training

Search for (options)