Forums: Skydiving: Safety and Training:
Broken line on HP canopy, no reserve ride

peek  (D 8884)

Jul 3, 2006, 7:48 AM
Post #1 of 8 (1802 views)
Shortcut
Broken line on HP canopy, no reserve ride Can't Post

Yesterday I broke a line at the link on my Stiletto loaded at 1.8. It went to the C and D lines to the left of the center cell.

Even though I had to look up to stow the slider I didn't even notice it. I did multiple spiral turns for fun up high, a 90 degree turn to landing, a normal fast swoop, and did not notice any difference.

Although I am not suggesting what anyone else might do in response to a broken line, this might demonstrate that lines broken in certain areas will not require a reserve ride.

The ol' controlability check thing. (Not that I did one.)

Peej  (B 2456)

Jul 3, 2006, 7:58 AM
Post #2 of 8 (1759 views)
Shortcut
Re: [peek] Broken line on HP canopy, no reserve ride [In reply to] Can't Post

Agreed.

Thus far i've had two problems of a similar nature, one broken line and a toggle snap of on deployment. First one was on a Sabre 150 loaded to around 1.4 and the second on my Safire loaded the same as your stiletto.

After a quick controlabilty check i landed the Sabre normally and landed the Safire on the risers.

kenneth21441  (B License)

Jul 3, 2006, 11:18 AM
Post #3 of 8 (1658 views)
Shortcut

I had my center line brake about two years ago on my manata. It was in the nose area and the canopy colapased in the the center cells, I pumped the breaks a few times and it reinflated. then it colapsed again and had to cut away. That was my expenerience. Wing load about .75 to .90.

Reserve ride was nice: since it was my own pack job also... But must say that I had to get out and jump once again to over come that rush....

jakee  (C License)

Jul 3, 2006, 4:51 PM
Post #4 of 8 (1570 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kenneth21441] Broken line on HP canopy, no reserve ride [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
I had my center line brake about two years ago on my manata. It was in the nose area and the canopy colapased in the the center cells, I pumped the breaks a few times and it reinflated.

When something breaks, it is broken.
When you use the brakes, it slows down.

L.O.  (D 16935)

Jul 3, 2006, 7:03 PM
Post #5 of 8 (1547 views)
Shortcut

Hi Gary. I brake a line on my 89 before I re-line it every time. I have always noticed it, but never had to cut away. I have always broken a center A, so no biggs.

riggerrob  (D 14840)

Jul 7, 2006, 8:34 AM
Post #6 of 8 (1296 views)
Shortcut

Back when F-111 mains were fashionable, I broke a bunch of lines on first generation tandem mains.
Several times I landed canopies with B, C or D lines broken above the cascade: no big deal.
I also landed one canopy with a broken upper steering line: no big deal.
I landed a canopy with a broken center A line: never again!
As for the broken lower steering line: I didn't even attempt a controllability check, just went straight for the cutaway handle!

JohanW  (D 86318)

Jul 7, 2006, 5:23 PM
Post #7 of 8 (1260 views)
Shortcut
Re: [riggerrob] Broken line on HP canopy, no reserve ride [In reply to] Can't Post

I have landed a canopy with a broken line twice. Center AB, under the cascade, both times (yes, it was retired after that. not worth relining). PD 9-Cell 150 loaded 1.4 (no, not the easiest parachute to land). I could steer/flare it halfway, then it would collapse. I decided to ride it in in half brakes and PLF.

I can see why you don't want to do that with a passenger.

freeasabird  (D 34806)

Aug 7, 2009, 2:52 PM
Post #8 of 8 (1090 views)
Shortcut

Sorry to pull up on old thread Gary - but saw your name and figured why not. Just had an issue two weekends ago at Summerfest. Following VRW jump, deployed to an instant slammer and half a line twist. After stars went away noticed both HMA 500 steering lines broke at the loops where the toggles are stowed. Also had about a quarter sized hole blown directly through middle of slider. Did contollability and decided to land on rears which went just fine. After landing also noticed a small chunk taken out of my Rawa helmet near the left ear (?). Canopy: Velo 111 loaded at 2.2.

Forums : Skydiving : Safety and Training

Search for (options)