Forums: Skydiving Disciplines: Canopy Relative Work:
learning CRW at a DZ where noone does CRW?

crotalus01  (B 28932)

Jun 28, 2006, 3:50 PM
Post #1 of 15 (1352 views)
Shortcut
learning CRW at a DZ where noone does CRW? Can't Post

hey all, I am very interested in CRW. problem is at my DZ virtually noone has any CRW experience - certainly not enough to teach. I really dont have the funds to travel to learn it. So, what would be the best way for me to learn CRW? should I just go out and do an altitude h&p with a friend and go for it or what? on second thought that sounds (and reads) like a really bad idea. Any suggestions?
thanks

aykay  (E License)

Jun 28, 2006, 5:20 PM
Post #2 of 15 (1332 views)
Shortcut
Re: [crotalus01] learning CRW at a DZ where noone does CRW? [In reply to] Can't Post

Try getting 5 or 6 mates together who would also like to give it a try. Then you can split the cost of hiring a coach to travel from another area.

selbbub78  (C 34824)

Jun 29, 2006, 4:15 AM
Post #3 of 15 (1301 views)
Shortcut
Re: [crotalus01] learning CRW at a DZ where noone does CRW? [In reply to] Can't Post

If you can make it to a CRW camp somewhere when they're offered that would be the best bet. Maybe save up, and make an appearance at another dropzone for a camp. I know when I started out, I flew down to florida for a beginner CRW camp. I'd definitely suggest NOT going up and doing high altitude jumps with non-experienced people.

CReW Skies,

aykay  (E License)

Jun 29, 2006, 5:08 AM
Post #4 of 15 (1298 views)
Shortcut
Re: [selbbub78] learning CRW at a DZ where noone does CRW? [In reply to] Can't Post

or that...

chuckbrown  (D 19538)

Jun 29, 2006, 6:21 AM
Post #5 of 15 (1292 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:
So, what would be the best way for me to learn CRW? should I just go out and do an altitude h&p with a friend and go for it or what? on second thought that sounds (and reads) like a really bad idea.

That's actually how I started doing CRW. Having said that, however, this was when most newer jumpers (and most experienced jumpers too) were on lightly loaded canopies (and no microline). It won't replace going somewhere and doing CRW with an experienced jumper, but you can have some fun learning. Depending on where you are, you might even be able to convince someone to come to your DZ and run a beginner's camp. We did that on several occassions. A modest registration fee to cover demo canopies and the instructor's jumps/accommodations should do it.

The value of attending a beginner's camp can't be stressed enough. Not only will you get great jumps with people who know what they're doing, but the safety seminar is a great way to think about all the variables that go into CRW.

kkeenan  (D 22164)

Jun 30, 2006, 10:54 AM
Post #6 of 15 (1234 views)
Shortcut

You can't really do CRW by yourself, and teaching yourself and your friends can be pretty tough (and hazardous Crazy). "Traveling" doesn't have to mean flying to ZHills or Perris Valley. You can line up an instructor at a relatively close DZ, pile some of your friends into the car and make a road trip. Yes, it will cost a little money, but it would be minimal.

The bottom line is that if you want it bad enough, you will pull it off. Most of the folks who do CRW successfully have had to go extra miles to get their experience. CRWDogs are few and far between. You've made a good first step by communicating with some people on DZ.com. Find someone who is willing to work with you and figure out how to hook up with them. The cool things that await you in CRW make it well worth the effort. Good luck. Wink

Kevin

crotalus01  (B 28932)

Jun 30, 2006, 3:57 PM
Post #7 of 15 (1217 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kkeenan] learning CRW at a DZ where noone does CRW? [In reply to] Can't Post

thanks a lot guys. looks like some travel in my near or far future, depending on when I can afford it. I will be watching for beginner CRW camps anywhere around my area.

crotalus01  (B 28932)

Jun 30, 2006, 4:03 PM
Post #8 of 15 (1216 views)
Shortcut

DAMN just was looking at the WL of you guys who replied....do I need to WL that high to get into CRW? I am jumping a Sabre 190 WL about 1.26:1. Really dont think I would be wise to load a canopy up at the 1.4 range at my jump #s....hell most folks on here think I am already loaded way too high (my DZ is a bit more progressive when it comes to WL and newbies due to the lack of obstacles and wide open landing area with tons of outs).

krkeenan  (C 7860)

Jun 30, 2006, 9:13 PM
Post #9 of 15 (1207 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:
DAMN ....do I need to WL that high to get into CRW?

You can negotiate your WL with whoever you jump with. There's no need to be higher than you are comfortable with. It just depends on what canopies are available for you to use. Somebody could find you a Lightning 190 and set themselves up with a similar WL. I never said it was easy, I just said it was fun.
Bubbles can advise you on why not to go with too high a WL.

Don't worry. What could possibly go wrong. (See Attachment.) Tongue

Kevin K.

(This post was edited by krkeenan on Jun 30, 2006, 9:20 PM)
Attachments: SCTimwrap2.jpg (21.9 KB)

Premier faulknerwn  (D 17441)
Jul 1, 2006, 5:38 AM
Post #10 of 15 (1196 views)
Shortcut

Not at all. I teach probably more CRW than anyone out there to newbies and I teach lots of folks at way lighter wing-loadings. Especially on 2 and 3-ways, wing-loading isn't very critical.. I work a lot with Spectres and Triathalons as well and those canopies you can easily work with at lighter wing-loadings...

crotalus01  (B 28932)

Jul 1, 2006, 6:42 PM
Post #11 of 15 (1181 views)
Shortcut
Re: [faulknerwn] learning CRW at a DZ where noone does CRW? [In reply to] Can't Post

okay thanks folks. honestly if I had to WL that high I would be waiting for a long while to try CRW. I will keep an eye open for beginner camps and see if anyone else at my DZ would be interested in going (although I seriously doubt they will)...

TVPB  (F 666)

Jul 3, 2006, 1:52 AM
Post #12 of 15 (1159 views)
Shortcut

Some theoretical info to start with: http://ozcrw.tripod.com/training.htm#BegTheory

But as everyone has said, it does not beat practical tutoring from people in the know.

Some ways to reduce costs:
- get your club / DZ to assist with sponsorship.
- have a fund raiser.
- get a group of people organised to chip in together to pay for a tutor.
- sell something.
- change you spending priorities (how important is that next piss up).

Paying a little extra for tutored jumps will mean a lot to the development of your parachuting skills. 5 jumps with an experienced tutor/instructor is like 25 jumps by yourself - and you still may not have it right after 25 jumps.

Faster, but controlled progression is payed back many times over by the skills you develop earlier and the fun you have.

remko  (C 49236)

Jul 3, 2006, 4:20 PM
Post #13 of 15 (1138 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:
and see if anyone else at my DZ would be interested in going (although I seriously doubt they will)...

Well, you will need at least one buddy anyway. Doing crew on your own gets old really fast.
Unsure
Here's an article I wrote in 2002. yes, your question has been asked before
http://cluebox.org/...tings/crew_dock.html

plastic  (D 10050)

Jul 4, 2006, 1:13 AM
Post #14 of 15 (1120 views)
Shortcut
Re: [remko] learning CRW at a DZ where noone does CRW? [In reply to] Can't Post

Well, you will need at least one buddy anyway. Doing crew on your own gets old really fast.
In reply to:

But at least you should be safe!

plastic

crotalus01  (B 28932)

Jul 4, 2006, 6:24 PM
Post #15 of 15 (1091 views)
Shortcut
Re: [plastic] learning CRW at a DZ where noone does CRW? [In reply to] Can't Post

thanks again guys, very very helpful articles.

Forums : Skydiving Disciplines : Canopy Relative Work

Search for (options)