Forums: Skydiving: Gear and Rigging:
harness/container size

adventurechick  (C 35899)

May 8, 2006, 11:47 PM
Post #1 of 4 (988 views)
Shortcut
harness/container size Can't Post

I found a rig I liked online... I asked the buyer what the size of the container/harness was so I could look it up on mirage's site to see if it would fit me ok... he didn't know what I was talking about when I asked about the size. I know there are types of abbreviations that refer to size of harness and what not, but I can't find them anywhere on mirage's site.... can anyone give me examples of harness/container sizes??? Isn't it a letter and a number or something like that??

mattjw916  (D License)

May 9, 2006, 12:05 AM
Post #2 of 4 (978 views)
Shortcut
Re: [adventurechick] harness/container size [In reply to] Can't Post

The letter/number combo, e.g. M5, is the "container" size which determines what size canopies will fit.

The "harness" size is on a tag behind the ring cover and will say something like 16.5 17.5 std. That is what determines whether or not a rig will fit your body. Ask the seller what the size on the tag is and then ask a rigger or gear dealer to measure you and see if you are close to fitting it.

Icon134  (D 29820)

May 9, 2006, 4:01 AM
Post #3 of 4 (930 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mattjw916] harness/container size [In reply to] Can't Post

What he said... When there was a possiblility I needed a second harness I asked my rigger what I the numbers meant... this is what he told me.

Quote:
As to the sizing of the harness, which you said is a 17.5 18 +.5, it can be plus or minus .5 to 1 on these measurements and be close enough.

The first number, 17.5, is the main lift web length from large harness ring to hip. The second, 18, is the leg pad measurement and the last is the lower lateral difference from standard (STD).

Broke  (A License)

May 9, 2006, 4:01 AM
Post #4 of 4 (929 views)
Shortcut
Re: [adventurechick] harness/container size [In reply to] Can't Post

I am not sure about how good Mirages records are, but you could probibly send them the SN of the rig, and they should be able to give you the measurements that the original purchaser made when ordering the rig. Then all you need to do is compaire your measurements to those, and if all is good you got it.

Forums : Skydiving : Gear and Rigging

Search for (options)