Forums: Skydiving Disciplines: Swooping and Canopy Control:
GLS Flight Characteristics?

Sonic_freefly  (C 9632)

Mar 24, 2006, 6:55 AM
Post #1 of 9 (1572 views)
Shortcut
GLS Flight Characteristics? Can't Post

Can anyone out their comment on the flight characteristics of a GLS? Is there any place to go and try one out before I buy one? Any help would be awesome!

(This post was edited by Sonic_freefly on Mar 24, 2006, 6:58 AM)

chachi  (B 3406)

Mar 24, 2006, 8:50 AM
Post #2 of 9 (1520 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Sonic_freefly] GLS Flight Characteristics? [In reply to] Can't Post

it is a safire platform but made with sail cloth and a hybrid nose to assist in GL inflation. if i were you i would get a safire and jump, or GL it.

fyi - my advice to anyone wanting to GL would be to take the plunge. the difference between a daedelus canopy and a skydiving one is over the top. skydiving canopies are designed to have the nose almost fold back a little for the opening sequence causing many issues with forward inflations. having a GLS or GLX means when the winds are nothing, you are the happiest guy on the planet.

chachi  (B 3406)

Mar 24, 2006, 8:53 AM
Post #3 of 9 (1519 views)
Shortcut
Re: [chachi] GLS Flight Characteristics? [In reply to] Can't Post

if your thinking of that GLS in classifieds right now that's a smoking deal. also, i know the guy posting it, solid guy to buy from.

Skydiveee

Mar 24, 2006, 2:07 PM
Post #4 of 9 (1467 views)
Shortcut

I have a GLS and love it! Great inflation in no winds, takes right off! Flies great and flares well. I started Ground Launching on a skydiving canopy - once you go from a regular canopy to a GLS you'll NEVER look back!! Great canopy!

WeakMindedFool  (D 28195)

Mar 24, 2006, 3:33 PM
Post #5 of 9 (1453 views)
Shortcut

If your going once or twice a year...No. If your ground launching with any regularity, get it. It's night and day between a skydiving canopy and a GL one

Sean357  (D 5216)

Nov 5, 2012, 7:37 PM
Post #6 of 9 (1031 views)
Shortcut
Re: [chachi] GLS Flight Characteristics? [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
it is a safire platform but made with sail cloth and a hybrid nose to assist in GL inflation. if i were you i would get a safire and jump, or GL it.

fyi - my advice to anyone wanting to GL would be to take the plunge. the difference between a daedelus canopy and a skydiving one is over the top. skydiving canopies are designed to have the nose almost fold back a little for the opening sequence causing many issues with forward inflations. having a GLS or GLX means when the winds are nothing, you are the happiest guy on the planet.

As soon as I head back to work I am planning to get into some ground launching. This thread has really helped me out with some info on the Daedelus Canopies. cant wait.

Cheers

Sean

Premier ianmdrennan  (D 25821)
Nov 5, 2012, 8:48 PM
Post #7 of 9 (1021 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Sean357] GLS Flight Characteristics? [In reply to] Can't Post

I'd seriously look at other companies who specialize in this if you're looking for a GL wing. Ozone is the first one that comes to mind.

AdD  (D License)

Nov 6, 2012, 7:15 AM
Post #8 of 9 (987 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ianmdrennan] GLS Flight Characteristics? [In reply to] Can't Post

Ozone Fazer looks like a great all around new wing. I have a Gin Bobcat 16.5 which is great. I would say GLS is the last wing a beginner should be looking at.
It is like starting your AFF on a crossbrace canopy. The guys at Speedfly Soboba or Superfly would help you out with lessons and wing selection in the US.

freeflyn  (D License)

Nov 6, 2012, 8:18 PM
Post #9 of 9 (953 views)
Shortcut
Re: [AdD] GLS Flight Characteristics? [In reply to] Can't Post

The GLS is a non-cross braced wing and is relatively docile. I have flown one and did not care for but it is not a difficult wing for beginners. Your wing selection should be based on terrain type, launch type (foot Vs ski), experience, and frequency of flying. Go to a school, there are more and more out there; it is a small price to pay for life saving information

Forums : Skydiving Disciplines : Swooping and Canopy Control

Search for (options)