Forums: Skydiving: Safety and Training:
Lil Cautious.....

adventurechick  (C 35899)

Mar 17, 2006, 8:58 AM
Post #1 of 10 (1032 views)
Shortcut
Lil Cautious..... Can't Post

I have 16 jumps and graduated from AFF back in February. 4 weeks ago on my 16th jump, I ended up landing on the runway due to cross winds and flaring too high. I tore up my ankle, and it's been healing since then, and I will be cleared by the doctor today to see if I can jump on monday. If I can jump, can anyone offer some advice. I am a bit nervous about my next jump since I had such a bad landing last time. Should I do a coach jump for my next jump and take a walkie-talkie just in case I get a crazy landing pattern going on... or would that be considered "sissy" since I've already graduated from AFF.... or should I just do a jump, get back into it, then do a coach jump another day to do some skills for my A license??

Premier NWFlyer  (D 29960)

Mar 17, 2006, 9:04 AM
Post #2 of 10 (1011 views)
Shortcut
Re: [adventurechick] Lil Cautious..... [In reply to] Can't Post

Quote:
Should I do a coach jump for my next jump and take a walkie-talkie just in case I get a crazy landing pattern going on... or would that be considered "sissy" since I've already graduated from AFF.

Talk to your instructors about your feelings and see what they recommend. But, don't decide to do or not do something just because you think someone will think it's "sissy." You've got 16 jumps, being back on radio for one (especially after a rough pattern) is not anything to be ashamed of and may be just the thing you need to get your confidence back. Anyone makes fun of you, who cares?

There's a lot of very safe choices you can make in this sport that might get you teased. Having a thick skin about that kind of stuff may just save your ass someday.

chuckbrown  (D 19538)

Mar 17, 2006, 9:16 AM
Post #3 of 10 (991 views)
Shortcut

If you're an unlicensed jumper and haven't jumped in a month, your instructors will probably want you to do some sort of remedial training/currency jump. Do what they recommend & try to go have some fun.

There's no shame in taking a radio along as an added safety measure.

Sissy.Wink

Just kidding, of course.Smile

bodypilot1  (D 16037)

Mar 17, 2006, 9:20 AM
Post #4 of 10 (983 views)
Shortcut

1. Dont be afraid to talk with an Instructor about using a radio on your next jump back, or even doing a coached jump since you haven't been in the air for awhile.
2. If the winds are not blowing the way YOU want them to be that day, DONT JUMP, simple as that!
If you are signed off as able to jump unsupervised, then than means YOU should able to decide whether the winds are right for you to jump and land safely.
3. If you see the jumps landing below you are flying an unusual pattern, land somewhere else. Some place way out of the way of other traffic and fly the correct pattern. Never think you have to land by the cool people landing area. Wink
4. Make sure you wear ankle support for awhile, until your ankle gains all of it's strength back.

Be safe
Ed

kwzskydive  (D 21044)

Mar 17, 2006, 9:31 AM
Post #5 of 10 (967 views)
Shortcut
Re: [NWFlyer] Lil Cautious..... [In reply to] Can't Post

I will agree, talk with an instructor or better yet try a S&TA.
Some instructors will want some sort of comp for their time, S&TA's are volunteers they will gladly set down and discuss this with you.

Also remember every one is responsible for their own actions or lack of action. This applies if you are wearing a radio or not, so always think about what your actions will be during those "what if's".

Have a good and safe next jump. Learn a lesson from Wrongway and stay away from the runways, he prefers lonely trees.SlySlySly

Premier wmw999  (D 6296)

Mar 17, 2006, 9:52 AM
Post #6 of 10 (943 views)
Shortcut
Re: [bodypilot1] Lil Cautious..... [In reply to] Can't Post

You have a lot of good advice in this thread. The one piece I'd add would be to spend sometime (with a brace on your ankle) practicing parachute landing rolls (PLFs or PLRs). It's a way to roll as you land, thereby reducing the chance of hurting any one part of your body if you mistime your flare.

Start just flat on the ground -- no strain on your ankle that way. Use a carpet, or peagravel at the dropzone if you have some. Get one of the instructors (preferably one who's been teaching a long time) to help you with this.

You have to land every single jump; might as well have an emergency landing procedure all ready to go.

Wendy W.

Premier billvon  (D 16479)
Mar 17, 2006, 10:43 AM
Post #7 of 10 (902 views)
Shortcut

I would recommend a) going with what your doctor says, but also b) waiting until you can run on it. I have seen a few people who got hurt because they were 'favoring' one foot or leg over the other one. Experienced jumpers can often get away with this, but with less experienced jumpers, this can lead to injuring the _other_ leg.

riggerrob  (D 14840)

Mar 18, 2006, 8:44 AM
Post #8 of 10 (739 views)
Shortcut
Re: [billvon] Lil Cautious..... [In reply to] Can't Post

I tell students to wait until they can run up and down a flight of stairs before they resume jumping.

riggerrob  (D 14840)

Mar 18, 2006, 8:47 AM
Post #9 of 10 (738 views)
Shortcut
Re: [wmw999] Lil Cautious..... [In reply to] Can't Post

Wendy,
I start PLF practice with students kneeling on the grass and me holding their wrists. Once they have demonstrated good PLFs - to both sides from their knees, - we repeat the exercise standing in the grass.
The final practice has them jumping off a low step - and rolling in the grass.

Even half-assed PLFs have saved thousands of ankles.

Orange1  (B 2638)

Mar 18, 2006, 9:35 AM
Post #10 of 10 (733 views)
Shortcut
Re: [riggerrob] Lil Cautious..... [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
I tell students to wait until they can run up and down a flight of stairs before they resume jumping.

Not to be facetious but... just students, or anyone who has injured themselves?

Forums : Skydiving : Safety and Training

Search for (options)