Forums: Skydiving: Gear and Rigging:
Buying 16 year old canopy?

yarik  (C License)

Jun 8, 2001, 1:14 AM
Post #1 of 10 (1590 views)
Shortcut
Buying 16 year old canopy? Can't Post

Is it worth to buy 16 year old canopy, that has never been jumped? Question is not about performance, but about the safety. Will it be safe to jump such an old gear even if it was stored properly?

RemiAndKaren  (C 2328)

Jun 8, 2001, 1:29 AM
Post #2 of 10 (1581 views)
Shortcut
Re: Buying 16 year old canopy? [In reply to] Can't Post

Define safe.....

Considering lots of people get killed these days while under fully functioning main canopies (ie low turns under a high performance canopy), that 16 year old one is probably safer on that front...... on stability, openings, acid-mesh, rats eating holes in it: who knows!! Is a 16 year old Delta 88 safer then a 16 year old Ferrari?

Premier slotperfect  (D 13014)

Jun 8, 2001, 1:57 AM
Post #3 of 10 (1577 views)
Shortcut

What is the make/model and exact DOM?

Respectfully,
SP

yarik  (C License)

Jun 8, 2001, 2:04 AM
Post #4 of 10 (1576 views)
Shortcut

Thanks for the note guys,
by "safety" in this case I define - no torn lines or risers or even canopy on openings. Does age affect the fabrique of the canopy if it's unused?

All low hook turns and other - human related mishaps, I ask only about the gear.

yarik  (C License)

Jun 8, 2001, 3:57 AM
Post #5 of 10 (1564 views)
Shortcut
make & model [In reply to] Can't Post

------
to slotperfect
------
This is a Clipper 196, made in 1985 (found in auction at this site :)

cloud9  (D 27635)

Jun 8, 2001, 4:16 AM
Post #6 of 10 (1563 views)
Shortcut
Re: make & model [In reply to] Can't Post

Hey Yarik
In 1975 I was jumping a round canopy that was made in 1962. I sold it in 1976 and it was still being jumped then. I can't say the one your looking at is ok. But from my experience they can stay safe a long time if cared for. The newer canopies have to be built better then them old rounds, so if it looks like something you might want make a deal with the seller to refund your money if its not airworthy, and have it checked by a rigger. All that said if you can afford it buy a newer one, but I'm sure you already considered that. Good luck

Bleau Skies

riggerrob  (D 14840)

Jun 8, 2001, 8:45 AM
Post #7 of 10 (1541 views)
Shortcut

My previous post on reserve life mainly referred to "service life."
Nylon parachutes have very long "shelf lifes", probably exceeding 40 years. Assuming this canopy has been carefully stored in a plastic bag, in a cool, dry, dark closet, it is in "like new" condition. Expect to make 600 to 800 jumps on an F-111 canopy from that era.
There is a safety advantage to older canopies. Since no one in their right mind jumps these canopies at wing-loadings much more than 1 pound per square foot, you limp away from landing errors that kill people flying tiny Icarus Extremely Extremes!

yarik  (C License)

Jun 8, 2001, 9:44 AM
Post #8 of 10 (1531 views)
Shortcut

Hey guys, thank you all!
This was my first question at dropzone and I'm happy to here you answers!

Soft Landings!

jfields  (C 33595)

Jun 8, 2001, 1:10 PM
Post #9 of 10 (1518 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:
tiny Icarus Extremely Extremes
I like that!

Justin

mikefarmer  (D 19948)

Jun 8, 2001, 10:27 PM
Post #10 of 10 (1505 views)
Shortcut

Ahhhh, the Clipper 196. I remember being just off student status jumping Raiders, and being elated that I could now try the *exciting* rental gear that consisted of a Clipper 196, and a PD 190. I do believe that the pilot chute that used to be on the Clipper is still in use on another rig, and still has my bloodstain on it from an unfortunate runway landing. You kiddies listen to your jumpmaster when he tells you that maybe you should have more than 19 jumps before you decide to be cool jumping in those Teva's!! I'll tell you what, I'm looking for a Crossfire or FX to load at 1.9 to 2.2, but thinking back, those old worn out trucks used to offer a lot of excitement. And I don't remember complaining about lack of flare or whining about penetration!

Mike
I ponder this dangerous, but irresistible pastime- Pink Floyd

Forums : Skydiving : Gear and Rigging

Search for (options)