Forums: Skydiving Disciplines: Photography and Video:
Which codec, format and encoder to use for skydivingmovies.com for best quality to size ratio?

980  (D 980)

Jan 20, 2006, 10:59 AM
Post #1 of 9 (438 views)
Shortcut
Which codec, format and encoder to use for skydivingmovies.com for best quality to size ratio? Can't Post

hi

I'm working on Premiere Pro with NTSC mini-DV footage.

I'm looking for recommendations of which encoding software to use (freeware preferred) and also what format and specific codec, to reduce filesize from the uncompressed .avi but keep good quality?

a search yielded nothing definitive and also with new codecs springing up overnight, the latest advice is always best!

thanks

(This post was edited by 980 on Jan 20, 2006, 10:59 AM)

AndyMan  (D 25698)

Jan 20, 2006, 11:10 AM
Post #2 of 9 (433 views)
Shortcut
Re: [980] Which codec, format and encoder to use for skydivingmovies.com for best quality to size ratio? [In reply to] Can't Post

I've had good experiences with the Windows Media Encoder, which you can download here: http://www.microsoft.com/...encoder/default.aspx.

In my experience, it's generated the smallest files at the highest quality. The downside is that people on Mac's or Linux boxen can't see it.

It's still my favorite, though.

_Am

beowulf  (C License)

Jan 20, 2006, 11:43 AM
Post #3 of 9 (426 views)
Shortcut
Re: [980] Which codec, format and encoder to use for skydivingmovies.com for best quality to size ratio? [In reply to] Can't Post

try using DIVX format. It is what people generally use for ripped dvds

pope  (D 19947)

Jan 20, 2006, 2:18 PM
Post #4 of 9 (401 views)
Shortcut
Re: [AndyMan] Which codec, format and encoder to use for skydivingmovies.com for best quality to size ratio? [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
I've had good experiences with the Windows Media Encoder, [snip] The downside is that people on Mac's or Linux boxen can't see it.

Since when?
Shhhh. Don't tell my Mac--it might catch on and stop playing them.

http://www.microsoft.com/...osh/osx/default.aspx

I do have issues with the DIVX codec though.
pope

MB38  (A 48618)

Jan 20, 2006, 3:27 PM
Post #5 of 9 (389 views)
Shortcut
Re: [pope] Which codec, format and encoder to use for skydivingmovies.com for best quality to size ratio? [In reply to] Can't Post

I haven't found a file format I can't play yet... in Quicktime [except for Real Media... that's not a video codec, it's crap]. This includes WMV files [there is a WMV codec available]. So whatever you make, people will be able to view it.

Personally, I would recommend h.264 in the .mov container, but if you're on a peecee, I'd say MPEG-4.

nate_1979  (B 27889)

Jan 21, 2006, 10:27 AM
Post #6 of 9 (353 views)
Shortcut
Re: [pope] Which codec, format and encoder to use for skydivingmovies.com for best quality to size ratio? [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
I do have issues with the DIVX codec though.
pope

What issues do you have with the DivX codec? I just got the programs to make DivX after talking to users of Macs etc. and compatibility didnt seem to be a problem (one reason I didnt wanna use windows media) ..

DivX does make some great quality video very small..

980  (D 980)

Jan 21, 2006, 10:30 PM
Post #7 of 9 (331 views)
Shortcut

I went with the divX.

video here

I'm guessing some settings / techniques where still sub-optimal?

MB38  (A 48618)

Jan 22, 2006, 2:12 AM
Post #8 of 9 (322 views)
Shortcut

Great video, good job on the compression. The compression freaked out a little at one point, but that's not your fault.

Zoter

Jan 22, 2006, 3:58 PM
Post #9 of 9 (297 views)
Shortcut

For a great compromise between video quality and good compression....DivX wins at the momentSmile

Forums : Skydiving Disciplines : Photography and Video

Search for (options)